PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: Streaming games

MihaiS
13 Aug 2008, 18:26
Would it be possible for v4 to have a built-in system for streaming games to a server via ftp? (With settings for frame rate, data rate, resolution, sending audio or not, maximum number of users to connect, etc.)

I'd like to post a link to a page where people can watch games that I host.
Furthermore, it would be nice to watch live tournments and stuff.

I know this can be done with Camtasia's live feed, but it would be better to have a built-in system. =)
Thanks!

yakuza
13 Aug 2008, 18:28
Counter Strike doesn't have this. What makes you think it would be worth the effort for WA?

MihaiS
13 Aug 2008, 18:32
I care the less that CS doesn't have this. My interest is in W:A.

Run
13 Aug 2008, 18:41
aint happenin

yakuza
13 Aug 2008, 18:41
Okay, I guess I need to be more clear and simplistic when trying to get a point across.

Yes, it'd be nice to have this feature, it'd also be nice to port WA to my digital sunglasses so I can play online while chilling in the beach controlling the worms with my mind. However, simply put, there's things in life more important. If a game which is a million times more popular than WA hasn't found a reason to implement this feature to their game, why should it benefit WA, at all? And I'm talking about time + effort against benefit.
If you were founding a village, you'd first focus on getting a water source, as opposed to building a F1 circuit. Seriously, anyone here can come up with one million features that would improve the game, but let's stay realistic, should we?

Plus that VVVV (anyone possibly bothered to watch a WA game will most likely have WA installed)

CyberShadow
13 Aug 2008, 18:48
Joining in-progress games (as spectators) and an unlimited number of players (spectators) is part of the 4.0 design, actually.

MihaiS
13 Aug 2008, 19:01
Seriously, anyone here can come up with one million features that would improve the game, but let's stay realistic, should we?

Seriously, anyone? I bet you could not come up a thousandth of what you assume.

But then again, one of your main concerns is to rant against me instead of presenting a helpful thought or just shutting up and ignoring my not-so- perilous-to-the-community threads.

Joining in-progress games (as spectators) and an unlimited number of players (spectators) is part of the 4.0 design, actually.

Great! The feature I proposed does not require viewers to have W:A installed on their machines, nevertheless, allowing people to spectate games is great!

knkn
13 Aug 2008, 19:11
Great! The feature I proposed does not require viewers to have W:A installed on their machines, nevertheless, allowing people to spectate games is great!

That's why we can extract the video from .wagames..

MihaiS
13 Aug 2008, 19:16
That's why we can extract the video from .wagames..

What does that have to do with live feeding? :/

franpa
14 Aug 2008, 01:05
knkn, he meant something like what nquake supports, TV Broadcasting of your games over the net.

knkn
14 Aug 2008, 04:44
Apparently neither of you read what quote I was responding to - as opposed to the entire topic. I understand what he's saying, but as previously posted, not only would it be terribly difficult to do, +extra server fees to stream, just use the free services as a standard.

franpa
14 Aug 2008, 05:27
You said your suggestion is better then his, yet your suggestion is wildly different to his. it is like suggesting you eat apples when the person likes oranges.

GreeN
14 Aug 2008, 11:09
Incase anyone missed the point of that rather fallacious analogy above; I think what Franpa was trying to say is that from the way you worded your suggestion, Knkn, you were indeed stating something that seemed very disorderly placed in this thread which is quite obviously regarding a subject totally different.

knkn
14 Aug 2008, 22:48
woot !