PDA

View Full Version : Feature requests:

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 17:45
Could it be possible to:

1. Completely remove the ability to send anonymous messages?
(because idiots ruin games and even friendships)

2. Send speech schemes over the network if they don't exceed a specified limit?
(because it would be fun to share creativity with others)

CyberShadow
12 Aug 2008, 17:50
1. Completely remove the ability to send anonymous messages?
(because idiots ruin games and even friendships)We might add the possibility of ignoring anonymous messages.
2. Send speech schemes over the network if they don't exceed a specified limit?It's planned for 4.0, but not before that.

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 18:08
We might add the possibility of ignoring anonymous messages.

Wouldn't removing the possibility to send anonymous messages be better? I mean, yeah... if someone is spamming and s**t, ignoring anonymous messages is fine, but what about targeted messages that intend to confuse players and turn one against the other?

I'm asking for this because I've seen it happen. Anyway, what's the use of anonymous messages? I mean, what's wrong with having the user's name displayed before the message?

yakuza
12 Aug 2008, 18:12
So you're saying your friends make a big deal of crap written in /anon?

I mean, the fact that someone is using /anon to turn someone against someone else gives away the fact that he's pretending or faking being that someone. Right?

Anon messages were just for fun. However it seems people nowadays have forgotten what fun is all about and what to kick people out of their games and stuff.

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 18:30
So you're saying your friends make a big deal of crap written in /anon?

I mean, the fact that someone is using /anon to turn someone against someone else gives away the fact that he's pretending or faking being that someone. Right?

Anon messages were just for fun. However it seems people nowadays have forgotten what fun is all about and what to kick people out of their games and stuff.

OK, Spanish dude, let's say that you play a game with a guy from Spain and one from Germany (the later was randomly nominalized). If the German guy starts making fun of you (not mentioning cursing you) in Spanish just because he knows how to, you may think it's your fellow Spanish mate who did that (even if you're convinced he would not do that).

Okay, now imagine that there are 3+ people speaking the same language, sending offensive, misleading anonymous messages. it's hard to keep track if they are written during someone's turn, as you can prepare an anonymous message and just send it while you play your turn.

yakuza
12 Aug 2008, 18:38
OK, Spanish dude, let's say that you play a game with a guy from Spain and one from Germany (the later was randomly nominalized). If the German guy starts making fun of you (not mentioning cursing you) in Spanish just because he knows how to, you may think it's your fellow Spanish mate who did that (even if you're convinced he would not do that).

Okay, now imagine that there are 3+ people speaking the same language, sending offensive, misleading anonymous messages. it's hard to keep track if they are written during someone's turn, as you can prepare an anonymous message and just send it while you play your turn.

I don't have those kind of friends though. And if I did then I wouldn't make a big deal out of it because they'd probably be trying to be funny.
If you have friendships that can be ruinned by using anon message in a Worms online match then, well, never mind, gonna try to stay on topic...

Yeah... Anon is a classic, it's part of the game, I've never seen being brought up this way, and never seen anyone whine about it so seriously. So basically, I'm totally against removing it.

Dario
12 Aug 2008, 18:44
Annonymous messages are fun imho :P, just need a guy with a good sense of humor in the game and it is great.

KRD
12 Aug 2008, 18:53
Turning people against each other with /anon messages is a strategy publicly approved by Team17. Taking it out would be a sin. :p

Konar6
12 Aug 2008, 18:58
Yeah... Anon is a classic, it's part of the game, I've never seen being brought up this way, and never seen anyone whine about it so seriously. So basically, I'm totally against removing it.
Agreed, anon messages are clearly distinguishable from normal chat and suspecting someone of writing this or that is wrong since you really dont know who said that (unless you watch replay). Thats the point of it.

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 19:00
Yakuza, it's clear to me now that you have developed a personal issue against me. Your cheap attempts to play down my socializing capabilities are just lame.

It's not necessarily about me and my friends, but about people and morons. Some may find teasing a noob funny, but that isn't fair, right? So why would anonymous messages be any different from that?

MilesTP
12 Aug 2008, 19:02
Don't remove anon. But if too much people ask for, you can still do like WWP in future W:A versions, "/msg [yourname] wiptistean". It'll just be sucky, because anon is a nice and funnier option.

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 19:04
Agreed, anon messages are clearly distinguishable from normal chat and suspecting someone of writing this or that is wrong since you really dont know who said that (unless you watch replay). Thats the point of it.

Watching a replay guarantees nothing. As I said before, you could prepare an anonymous message and send it during your turn (e.g. right before you attack) making others suspect you less.

Turning people against each other with /anon messages is a strategy publicly approved by Team17. Taking it out would be a sin. :p

Ye, I guess you're right.

bonz
12 Aug 2008, 19:32
People that are affected by /anon messages have my pity.
They're the number one victims of the PUPPETMASTER!
HOHOHO!

MrBunsy
12 Aug 2008, 19:34
Watching a replay guarantees nothing. As I said before, you could prepare an anonymous message and send it during your turn (e.g. right before you attack) making others suspect you less.
I thought replays showed who said the message?

robowurmz
12 Aug 2008, 19:48
People that are affected by /anon messages have my pity.
They're the number one victims of the PUPPETMASTER!
HOHOHO!

THE PUPPETMASTER SHOWS NO MERCY UPON THE WEAK MINDED AND IMPRESSIONABLE...

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 20:37
I thought replays showed who said the message?

Not anonymous messages, no.

Etho.
12 Aug 2008, 20:50
It's generally not that hard to figure out who is the one sending the anonymous message. This is especially so if someone is very frequently sending anonymous messages. The player will stop sending them while he is taking his turn. Also, you can narrow down the suspects by putting people on ignore 1 by 1 until the anonymous messages stop.

Melon
12 Aug 2008, 20:58
The replays do not show you who sent the anonymous messages, but the replay logs do.

Extract the log from the replay. All will be revealed.

GreeN
12 Aug 2008, 21:03
If it's of any help to you, anonymous messages are displayed in more detail within the Log that can be extracted from a replay.

Edit: Hooray for turtle speed!

Muzer
12 Aug 2008, 21:03
Exactly .

MihaiS
12 Aug 2008, 21:30
The replays do not show you who sent the anonymous messages, but the replay logs do.

Ah, OK! Thanks for the info. I'm kind of retarded for not trying that before. Well, I guess you're all right! My bad.

Koen-ftw
12 Aug 2008, 23:28
The replays do not show you who sent the anonymous messages

Wuh? When did that happen :eek:
I remember you used to be able to see it in replays as well!

Edit: you still can.
http://www.frauded.info/dump/290f174fd27839aa050a071b4619990d/WA%202008-08-13%2001-08-32-28.png

MilesTP
13 Aug 2008, 00:25
I prefer to read logs then watch all the replay. The replay looks desynchronized as it's ingame.

KRD
13 Aug 2008, 01:07
I prefer to read logs then watch all the replay. The replay looks desynchronized as it's ingame.

No it doesn't. Just some of the chat gets released at once occasionally, I think mostly when there's lots of it.

franpa
13 Aug 2008, 02:48
no, any chat during lag is shown all at once because lag is not recorded in replays.

Konar6
13 Aug 2008, 02:52
All chat that is sent during the time that nobody plays (like when you end your turn and there are still objects moving, worms dying etc) is shown at once. A good example is the replay here: http://worms2d.info/Bow_and_Arrows

bonz
13 Aug 2008, 12:02
Anyone who is not on your team in a team game is your enemy and shall be utterly annihilated, regardless what /anon messages were popping around previously.

Melon
13 Aug 2008, 20:58
Wuh? When did that happen :eek:
I remember you used to be able to see it in replays as well!

Edit: you still can.
DEATH TO IMAGE QUOTING!
Hmm... I could have sworn you couldn't see it in the replay.

Oh well. If only I could run the game to check :(:(:(

SithlordDK
14 Aug 2008, 11:59
2. Send speech schemes over the network if they don't exceed a specified limit?
(because it would be fun to share creativity with others)
-It's planned for 4.0, but not before that.

Will you add support for compressed files (like .ogg) ?