PDA

View Full Version : Sky Gradient Color in W:A

StoneFrog
8 Aug 2008, 15:39
Is there a way to change the color of the sky gradient in W:A? I'm tired of the hazy red one. I searched through the CD and game directories but couldn't find anything.

robowurmz
8 Aug 2008, 17:02
It usually changes all the time for me. I've had purple-blue, blue-greengray, and so on.

KRD
8 Aug 2008, 17:04
The colour of course depends on the terrain texture you're using. How many steps there are in the gradient depends on what level of detail you set with the Insert key. Most serious players go with the minimum, a completely black background.

StoneFrog
8 Aug 2008, 17:07
Yes, but there's no way to change the gradients per terrain?

CyberShadow
8 Aug 2008, 18:29
The background gradient is stored in the .dir files on the CD. You could edit those files and override them with wkFileOverride, in theory.

yess
9 Aug 2008, 00:38
I'm guessing an example would be D:\Data\Level\Jungle\Level.dir ? How would you extract the gradient data, and what format would it be stored in?

StoneFrog
9 Aug 2008, 01:59
And if we could override the gradient file just via an edited file in our directory, or if we'd need to put in a new .dir that has the edited gradient file, etc.

I'll check it out sometime.

yess
9 Aug 2008, 02:58
I could be wrong but I beleive the .DIR files are an archive that contain a similar list of files as follows:

index.txt floor1.inf floor2.inf floor3.inf
floor4.inf floor5.inf floor6.inf floor7.inf
floor8.inf floor9.inf floor10.inf floor1.img
floor2.img floor3.img floor4.img floor5.img
floor6.img floor7.img floor8.img floor9.img
floor10.img roof1.inf roof2.inf roof3.inf
roof4.inf roof5.inf roof6.inf roof7.inf
roof1.img roof2.img roof3.img roof4.img
roof5.img roof6.img roof7.img right1.inf
right2.inf right1.img right2.img gradient.img
grass.img text.img soil.img bridge.img
bridge-l.img bridge-r.img debris.spr back.spr

There could be more files, but I cannot figure how to extract the data from the file, I may even be wrong about it being an archive, but I did find references to the above listed files inside D:\Data\Level\Jungle\Level.dir on the CD.

I imagine you would edit the gradient.img from that archive, update the archive and ""replace"" the archive using wkFileOverride. If anyone has information on how to extract/insert data from/into worms .DIR archives it would be much appreciated.

StoneFrog
9 Aug 2008, 03:46
That sounds about right.

I'm still relatively new to W:A so I'm not sure how to proceed...

Has anybody tried this (http://worms2d.info/WA_directory_editor)? Not sure if it can edit the files we want and all, but it sounds right.

yess
9 Aug 2008, 04:58
Very good find! I'm not able to sit down right now but I'll look into that in about 3.5 hours, thanks for the find, I'll post some more info later on, do you have any requests for colors that you would like?

WOW that program is buggy, it does manage to extract files but I cannot put them back how they are supposed to be, what am I doing wrong?

Muzer
9 Aug 2008, 10:28
Alienking made a tutorial of it because of the bugginess of the program, I'll let someone else dig it out as I am tired.

[UFP]Ghost
9 Aug 2008, 18:19
Alienking made a tutorial of it because of the bugginess of the program, I'll let someone else dig it out as I am tired.

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20591&highlight=forum+sprites first post.

Etho.
9 Aug 2008, 20:20
I made a program for WWP a few years ago, CutWormLE, that gave players the ability to make some pretty fancy maps. One of the features was easy modification of gradient's colors.

All Level.dir files contain a compressed IMG gradient. It's fairly easy to change the colors used by editing the 16 color palette for this image. Then all you have to do is force your edited Level.dir file to be used instead of the original. wkFileOverride will allow you to do this.

ScreenShots: http://etho.wormsrenegade.com/pages/screenshots.php

Bawb
9 Aug 2008, 23:37
Whoa, awesome screenshots. Love the treehouse and the matrix ones.

[UFP]Ghost
10 Aug 2008, 05:42
How would one implement those into wa, and would it be possible to like have it choose a random one out of more than one?

StoneFrog
10 Aug 2008, 16:59
Yes, Etho, is there a way to get that stuff working in W:A? :)

Etho.
10 Aug 2008, 19:18
Yes there is. See my above post.

StoneFrog
10 Aug 2008, 21:05
Yes there is. See my above post.
Are you simply implying I run the CutWormLE installer but point it to W:A?

robowurmz
10 Aug 2008, 21:26
I suppose as long as you run WormKit it should work...

Etho.
11 Aug 2008, 06:00
All Level.dir files contain a compressed IMG gradient. It's fairly easy to change the colors used by editing the 16 color palette for this image. Then all you have to do is force your edited Level.dir file to be used instead of the original. wkFileOverride will allow you to do this.

CutWormLE was not designed to work for W:A. You might be able to get it to work with a few modifications, but that is pointless for online play because no one else would be using it.