PDA

View Full Version : Online Cheating =(

wormyy
5 Aug 2008, 00:16
hi

i usually play with my friends on LAN over a VPN.

I think my friend is using cheating. I noticed we only started with 5 girders, yet he used 7, and he didnt pick up a crate or anything. I am certain he didnt get 2 extra girder using normal means. It means im sure he cheated. Also happened in life or death situation when he really needed more girders!!!

isn't there a cheat protection system which will cause a desync over internet games? Or has he somehow bypassed that synchronisation method?

I hope there is an update to stop him from doing this! >=(

CyberShadow
5 Aug 2008, 00:20
What you are describing has been made impossible in Beta updates.

M3ntal
5 Aug 2008, 01:29
isn't there a cheat protection system which will cause a desync over internet games? Or has he somehow bypassed that synchronisation method?
It's not a specific cheat detection system, but if he changed anything on his end making it different to yours, you would get a desync. The only way to cheat like that would be for him to change your end too, which was once possible due to a bug in W:A exploited by a program called Silkworm, and that was one of the first things Deadcode made sure couldn't be done on the original 3.5 beta update.

Basically, update your game version and it can't happen. The update is here:
ftp://ftp.team17.com/pub/t17/patches/pc/WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer.exe

CyberShadow
5 Aug 2008, 02:48
Note that both sides need to update - W:A emulates some Silkworm behavior for the sake of playing back replays extracted from network logs.

franpa
5 Aug 2008, 02:49
So, this was solved with the first beta update? you can still emulate 3.0.0 with things like cheat engine and stuff though, right which would re-enable the bug I assume?

CyberShadow
5 Aug 2008, 02:55
I don't understand your question. For more information, please consult the Beta ReadMe.

franpa
5 Aug 2008, 02:59
Well, can 3.6.2.9.0 emulate a version of game logic that supports these "cheats"? If yes, the host (If it is not Wormmy) could be forcing emulation of an older version and exploiting the bugs that way.

yakuza
5 Aug 2008, 08:19
hi

i usually play with my friends on LAN over a VPN.

I think my friend is using cheating. I noticed we only started with 5 girders, yet he used 7, and he didnt pick up a crate or anything. I am certain he didnt get 2 extra girder using normal means. It means im sure he cheated. Also happened in life or death situation when he really needed more girders!!!

I hope there is an update to stop him from doing this! >=(

Attach a replay so we can help you count.

yakuza
5 Aug 2008, 08:22
So, this was solved with the first beta update? you can still emulate 3.0.0 with things like cheat engine and stuff though, right which would re-enable the bug I assume?

Unless emulation changes the WA.exe (or unless I'm terribly mistaken) I don't see how one could get down to using silkworm, never mind a version that allows you to change your ammo if that ever existed.

Also what bug are you talking about?

CyberShadow
5 Aug 2008, 09:02
Someone with W:A 3.0 + the old Silkworm can successfully play and cheat against a player using the latest Beta, because the Betas detect and emulate Silkworm's RCE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_code_execution) packets.

KRD
5 Aug 2008, 12:22
Well, can 3.6.29.0 emulate a version of game logic that supports these "cheats"? If yes, the host (If it is not Wormmy) could be forcing emulation of an older version and exploiting the bugs that way.

Which is exactly why we politely ask people who aren't running the latest version to update and kick them out of all our games.

bonz
5 Aug 2008, 12:37
Wormyy, could it be that your friend has used a girder starter-pack messing up your count?

wormyy
6 Aug 2008, 15:20
There were no girder packs so he used a cheat. Also, he has used the cheat before to get more super weapons such as holy grenade.

I think he tried to edit network packets or something. Hmm, I guess I have no choice but to play with him+ other friends. Since he is one of our good friends. And only I noticed the cheat.

Muzer
6 Aug 2008, 18:46
There were no girder packs so he used a cheat. Also, he has used the cheat before to get more super weapons such as holy grenade.

I think he tried to edit network packets or something. Hmm, I guess I have no choice but to play with him+ other friends. Since he is one of our good friends. And only I noticed the cheat.
Wouldn't a better option be to update the game and get him to as well?

robowurmz
7 Aug 2008, 16:59
Wouldn't a better option be to update the game and get him to as well?

Hang on though; if he's packet editing, isn't that nigh unstoppable? Anyway, if he did packet edit, he'd have to be
a) Quick
and
b) Able to stop desynch.

franpa
8 Aug 2008, 01:24
I believe W:A 3.00 and earlier allowed message injections which affected both players. Current versions of the game I believe, detect when something like this happens and will disconnect the offending player (unles the game is forced to emulate a version supporting Message Injection, then it will emulate the bugs/cheats too).

SilPho
9 Aug 2008, 22:59
Attach a replay, that way we can count the girders and check that the scheme matches what he uses.

As long as you have the latest patch, the replays are stored in
Worms Folder\User\Games

Mablak
9 Aug 2008, 23:42
I don't like this so-called friend of yours, wormyy. I say get him to post on these forums so we can shower him with verbal abuse.