PDA

View Full Version : Maps: Organization By Original Game

StoneFrog
4 Aug 2008, 23:59
One thing I've noticed about W:A is that the "color maps" (that IS the non-random, drawn maps like what you get in the missions right?) come in two general types.

1) Low-palette, looks like MSPaint (i.e. "Village").
2) More artistic ones (i.e. "Chateau" and "Windmill").

WWP added a lot more of the artistic ones, I'm wondering just for my own future reference. Are those "low-palette" maps from Worms 2, and the artistic ones from Armageddon?

Also, kind of an unrelated question - lots of people say you cannot play color maps online in WWP. Does this just apply to WormNet? I used to play my brother on color maps via LAN all the time.

franpa
5 Aug 2008, 03:02
Also, kind of an unrelated question - lots of people say you cannot play color maps online in WWP. Does this just apply to WormNet? I used to play my brother on color maps via LAN all the time.
you played custom colour maps?

there is CutWorm that is a MOD that allows you to play Colour Maps online via WormNet in WWP.

WWP added a lot more of the artistic ones, I'm wondering just for my own future reference. Are those "low-palette" maps from Worms 2, and the artistic ones from Armageddon?
Uh, it possibly has more detailed ones because Team17 had become a bigger and more stable company when making WWP.

Muzer
5 Aug 2008, 09:17
It's just custom colour maps, not the intristic ones (I think that's the official name, can't remember - it means the built-in colour ones)

KRD
5 Aug 2008, 12:39
One thing I've noticed about W:A is that the "color maps" (that IS the non-random, drawn maps like what you get in the missions right?) come in two general types.

What people mean when they use the term "colour map" on WA are not the shiny Team17-made maps that come with the game, but rather user-made PNG maps of the sort you can find on www.WMDB.org. The worms2d.info definition and further explanation can be found here: http://worms2d.info/Colour_map

As far as I know, W2 did not support any map file format other than the random-looking .LEV, so the simpler intrinsic maps are likely only a result of a different artistic style or even a different artist entirely, but were made during the making of WA regardless.

It's just custom colour maps, not the intristic ones (I think that's the official name, can't remember - it means the built-in colour ones)

Intrinsic, not intristic. As weird as the word seems to sound to all of us. :-/

Muzer
5 Aug 2008, 15:05
As far as I know, W2 did not support any map file format other than the random-looking .LEV, so the simpler intrinsic maps are likely only a result of a different artistic style or even a different artist entirely, but were made during the making of WA regardless.
W2 plus the update supported monochrome custom maps, and could import most image formats and convert them to monochrome.

StoneFrog
5 Aug 2008, 15:32
Right then, so W2 only supported the randomly generated maps, W:A added "intrinsic" maps.

Second, color maps = intrinsic maps made by players. As in, in WWP one cannot play/import their own intrinsic maps, in W:A one now can (funny as the WWP Mission Maker rtf that came with it talks about the mapping process for an intrinsic map, and doesn't say anything as to whether or not it applies only to Single Player). To answer franpa's question at the start of the thread, I had played the default Team 17 ones.

Thirdly, I've noticed some terrain types have a dash before their name. I read about this somewhere, but I forget where. The dash ones are brought over from Worms 2, or vice versa? I noticed that -Hell (that's the variant with the skulls and satan right? "Hell" is that ugly honey one), well, that's from the original Worms I think (I recall seeing a picture of that terrain in Worms 1, or at least our pal Satan).

Muzer
5 Aug 2008, 15:38
Second, color maps = intrinsic maps made by players. As in, in WWP one cannot play/import their own intrinsic maps, in W:A one now can (funny as the WWP Mission Maker rtf that came with it talks about the mapping process for an intrinsic map, and doesn't say anything as to whether or not it applies only to Single Player).
In WWP, you can do it but offline only. In WA, you can do it online.

The dash are the ones brought over from Worms 1. The ones from Worms 2 are mixed in with the W:A originals.

StoneFrog
5 Aug 2008, 15:41
I am somehow finding lots of the Worms 1 terrains more detailed than their W:A equivalents (-Hell vs Hell and all).

Muzer
5 Aug 2008, 17:47
Yeah, the old terrains where a lot more detailed, the new ones have a more cartoony style.

StoneFrog
5 Aug 2008, 17:55
Well, the first generation was "grittier". But even then, it seems like in general they are higher quality. For example, the Worms 1 forest/woods/whateverit'scalled reminds me quite a bit of Team 17's Lemmings port, even though that's years later.

(Of course DOS Lemmings was the best)

yakuza
5 Aug 2008, 18:17
Can't you share a colored map in a mission file with someone else and play it online in WWP?[/noob]

KRD
5 Aug 2008, 18:55
Can't you share a colored map in a mission file with someone else and play it online in WWP?[/noob]

Yup, but both people need to have the mission installed first. The custom colour maps [BMP, JPG and TGA are the supported formats] aren't transferred to other players on any of the games, even WA has to convert them to PNG first.