PDA

View Full Version : WA recovers broken video?!

f1fan
3 Aug 2008, 10:41
I got old NVIDIA video card with sticker NV35GL-A1 so first I think that it is a professional accelerator QuadroFX3000. But my computer detects this card as FX5900Ultra 256̀B, and BIOS display - engineering release, not for sale. BIOS version - 4.35.20.05.00. So it must be an experimental sample. In Windows XP with any Nvidia videodriver(now I using 174.74) it produce screen corruption and blue screen during window scrolling in DDraw and freezes and texture artifacts in D3D. Blue screen at the end.

BUT!!!
I find only one solution of this problems:
when I run WA 3.5.22 video freezes as usual during 5 seconds then displays first two screens of game with corruption and THEN it run game menu clearly without any artifacts!!! And after exit from game this mode is remàins!!! NO PROBLEMS in any 2D or 3D video modes!!!!!!!

So question - which video modes and video settings sets during game start? Can I repeat it without WA game? Something about small tool thich I can autorun and sets correct modes after OS loading?

And second - I cannot do this trick in Windows Vista. In the same situation it causes videodriver error, recovers it several times and shows blue screen in the end. Running WA(even patched to v3.6.29.0) did the same effect - BSOD.

I hope developers can help with my trouble.
Thx.

CyberShadow
3 Aug 2008, 14:38
That would be 640x480 in 8-bit colour for the front-end, and whatever resolution is set in the options screen for in-game, also in 8-bit colour.

f1fan
4 Aug 2008, 18:24
That would be 640x480 in 8-bit colour for the front-end, and whatever resolution is set in the options screen for in-game, also in 8-bit colour.

I did resolution switch to this modes - it is not equal to the game. Graphics artifacts and screen corruption was not gone away :( I think game is changes deeper DirectDraw settings which I don't know. Can you tell me about this modes initialisation?

CyberShadow
4 Aug 2008, 18:45
There's not much to say. W:A uses standard DirectDraw routines to set the screen mode.