PDA

View Full Version : Icon Pack

SupSuper
30 Jul 2008, 22:36
Sometime last year I made an icon pack. An icon pack for WA, with nice little icons for all the common WA file formats. I never really did much with it though since I couldn't find a consistent foolproof way of applying them, so it just lied around in my hard disk.

I ran into it again and, well, I still like it, so I'm releasing it here for the community to do as they see fit. There's more info in the readme if you so need.

Download here (http://supsuper.wurmz.net/stuff/WAicon.zip)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/supsuper/WAiconMegillah.png

Koen-ftw
30 Jul 2008, 22:43
Wow, those are very nice! Good job. :)

[UFP]Ghost
31 Jul 2008, 00:15
beautiful :D

OutofOrder
31 Jul 2008, 00:54
*downloads*

[UFP]Ghost
31 Jul 2008, 02:45
All of them work except when I enter a game it re-assigns the replay to the icon that wa has.

SupSuper
31 Jul 2008, 04:40
That's why they're bothersome to set up properly, WA and any related editors will overwrite the default icon on startup unless you manually change the permissions on the respective registry entry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Team17.WAgame\DefaultIcon for replays) to keep them from doing so.

[UFP]Ghost
31 Jul 2008, 04:42
why is that?

franpa
31 Jul 2008, 06:38
so that you can play the game on computers without "installing" the game first. because the game automaticaly resets (abnormal)/applies registry settings

SgtFusion
31 Jul 2008, 09:35
How do I get it to not replace the icon with the default one? I am in regedit, editing the indicated key, but I can't figure out how.
EDIT: Also, I can't set the icon for .BIT files. All I did by adding a recognized file type in folder options was remove the .bit extension.

Metal Alex
31 Jul 2008, 11:56
Maybe it can be implemented as default for the next patch... these are awesome!

SupSuper
31 Jul 2008, 15:40
How do I get it to not replace the icon with the default one? I am in regedit, editing the indicated key, but I can't figure out how.
EDIT: Also, I can't set the icon for .BIT files. All I did by adding a recognized file type in folder options was remove the .bit extension.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310426

It's easier to change the icons if you associate it with some application, (BITmonkey, TeamED, SchemeEddy, etc.) even if it doesn't do anything with them. Windows is weird like that.

Konar6
31 Jul 2008, 18:22
I use these icons for game and replays (I don't know where I got them from tho) and I think combining my game icon with the little pictures on your icons would make a great set.
Anyway, I'm downloading your work atm :)

Bawb
1 Aug 2008, 02:04
Maybe it can be implemented as default for the next patch... these are awesome!

100% agreed.

SgtFusion
1 Aug 2008, 04:31
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310426

It's easier to change the icons if you associate it with some application, (BITmonkey, TeamED, SchemeEddy, etc.) even if it doesn't do anything with them. Windows is weird like that.

Tanks for dat.

raffie
3 Aug 2008, 18:58
Very nice work indeed!

xEMFxEmine
5 Aug 2008, 05:20
Yeah tho icons are awesome and should definatly be set as defult for the new patch.
But im kinda lost on how to set them as icons?:mad:

StoneFrog
5 Aug 2008, 15:35
Nice work. You even used the regulation issued drop shadow. :D

bonz
5 Aug 2008, 21:13
Nicely done!
I have already switched to those for the file types. I'll keep my AcidBurn WA logo though.

StoneFrog
5 Aug 2008, 21:29
I use these icons for game and replays (I don't know where I got them from tho) and I think combining my game icon with the little pictures on your icons would make a great set.
Anyway, I'm downloading your work atm :)
EDIT: Found it. It's just the radioactivity icon in the W:A frontend's "Play a quick game against the computer".

InZa
9 Aug 2008, 16:01
Great job, I love those. =)

StoneFrog
9 Aug 2008, 17:21
I made a quickie WWP one out of the box art in case anybody wants it. Face it, even if you don't play WWP that much, that icon is just violates all laws of human decency.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5528/previewoc2.jpg

I'm only including the .ico as I see no need to give you the raw PSD (I'm so diabolical). I know the shadow looks like it cuts off, but it's not that noticeable when in use.

I may make a pack with file associations (missions, schemes, etc) if I feel like it, in which case I'll post a thread but for now, just get the plain icon here (http://files.filefront.com/wwpico/;11427580;/fileinfo.html).

balver
10 Aug 2008, 16:22
I know the shadow looks like it cuts off, but it's not that noticeable when in use.

Well, it is noticeable. And rather unacceptable. Could you make another icon without shadow in 32x32 and 48x48 sizes?

Nevertheless, big icon looks great, but 16x16 is just blueish circle which doesn't show anything. As I use mostly 16x16 icons (in Total Commander), I'll rather stay with the old one (or use this one + 16x16 from original game).

Edit:
Hey, why this icon has not 256x256 size included?

StoneFrog
10 Aug 2008, 16:45
256x256 doesn't work as an icon, the 256x256 is the PSD I worked on (as the WWP box logo is pretty big).

There is no drop shadow on 16x16, if you want I can remove them though.

Also, I removed the rocket from the 32x32 and 16x16 versions as at that size it seems as if it's an anomaly with the actual image. Are you sure about the 16x16 "blueish circle"? I can see plenty. I considered doing a different icon for the lowest resolution, as many people do, but couldn't think of one fitting enough.

Drc
10 Aug 2008, 20:45
i don't get it....how i use the icons???

balver
10 Aug 2008, 21:46
256x256 doesn't work as an icon, the 256x256 is the PSD I worked on (as the WWP box logo is pretty big).

256x256 does work as an icon for Vista users (not me actually). Just get modern icon editor (http://icofx.ro/) and create 256x256 size with PNG compression. You can also provide 256x256 PNG file for people, which use programs like ObjectDock.

There is no drop shadow on 16x16, if you want I can remove them though.

I noticed that and I think it's an advantage (at least one :D). If you want to play with shadows you can do that, but be careful, because they tend to cut on the borders. Look at SupSuper's icons - his icons' shadows are just great.

Also, I removed the rocket from the 32x32 and 16x16 versions as at that size it seems as if it's an anomaly with the actual image.

You could provide 2 versions to community: with and without the rocket. Let them/us choose.

Are you sure about the 16x16 "blueish circle"? I can see plenty. I considered doing a different icon for the lowest resolution, as many people do, but couldn't think of one fitting enough.

I realize, that creating sharp-looking 16x16 icon is quite hard task to do. And I'm aware of many people making 16x16 basically by resizing the bigger on with bicubic or nearest neighbour methods. But look at the icons made by Microsoft for Windows starting from XP. They are sharp, nice looking and without any doubts you can tell what they represent. Sometimes creating 16x16 icon requires making it from scratch and yes, it's difficult.

Don't worry too much about my criticism. I'm kinda perfectionist and I like things mastered to small details.

StoneFrog
10 Aug 2008, 22:17
I traditionally use a drop shadow similar to SupSuper's, in Photoshop terms, 2 on spread and 2 on size I believe. But the WWP "globe" border kinda prevented me from using a subtle shadow, and it messed it up. So I had to expand it much more than usual.

bonz
11 Aug 2008, 02:55
i don't get it....how i use the icons???

WinKey + E
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
Highlight desired file type
Advanced
Change Icon

StoneFrog
11 Aug 2008, 03:21
Whoa! I didn't know about that hotkey.

bonz
11 Aug 2008, 11:49
Whoa! I didn't know about that hotkey.
Now you know and won't forget it for the rest of your life.
Also, you can now delete all your Explorer shortcuts.

StoneFrog
11 Aug 2008, 14:04
Never! >:O