PDA

View Full Version : W:A v3.6.29.0 Released

Pages : 1 2 [3]

franpa
1 Mar 2010, 14:47
What the hell is going on now with a new update?

Soon we will all be playing Worms Reloaded! Come on, release a damn small patch! It can't take years!

It can if you don't want a repeat of last time, what with the inability to use the Sniper Aim utility in online games. Causes a desynchronization of players.

Hakfinn
2 Mar 2010, 08:09
Any news here? :)

IdilaN
2 Mar 2010, 18:37
Hi the problem is when I start an online game just before the start on the loading screen stays frozen and does not load the entire symbol. I just spent in online matches.

SgtFusion
2 Mar 2010, 23:44
Hi the problem is when I start an online game just before the start on the loading screen stays frozen and does not load the entire symbol. I just spent in online matches.
Please explain, in proper English, what you mean by all that.

jsgnext
3 Mar 2010, 03:23
I think he said that.....when he plays an online (multiplayer) game, he gets stuck at the loading screen.

nkrdrt5367
5 Mar 2010, 17:17
Please bring the missing speeches.

Explorer
6 Mar 2010, 01:45
Please bring the missing speeches.

Do you mean this?
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39388

XxDangerxX
29 Mar 2010, 03:43
Happy birthday, CS! ^^

Terry
29 Mar 2010, 11:42
I know the patch willl be available when it will be ready, but could we have an estimation in % of the work done for this patch? :)

d3rd3vil
3 Apr 2010, 19:54
I'd say it is about 30% finished! Maybe 60% in about 1-2 years! Am I right? ^^

franpa
4 Apr 2010, 08:34
The patch is very likely done, they are just testing it for bugs.

Terry
5 Apr 2010, 17:10
Thanks franpa for the information !

kraaft
6 Apr 2010, 03:34
The patch is very likely done, they are just testing it for bugs.

How can it be likely done, yet not likely being tested on? ;R

franpa
6 Apr 2010, 06:16
It's likely at the release candidate stage and they are testing for regressions amongst other things before making it public.

MrBunsy
6 Apr 2010, 07:38
[citation needed]

franpa
6 Apr 2010, 07:56
www.randomgibberish.com

WormyVista
7 Apr 2010, 02:09
- anyone seen this message: " front end visualization error, error: from graphics subsystem unable to set desired video mode"
- -where can I download wormekit and do you think it will fix my prob?
- already downloaded latest patch WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer"
- thanks for any and all help!!!!

CyberShadow
7 Apr 2010, 05:15
It means your video card or driver doesn't support the video mode required by W:A. Updating your video drivers might help. If not, the only workaround is to emulate W:A (http://worms2d.info/Emulating_Worms_Armageddon).

d3rd3vil
7 Apr 2010, 16:52
Well and how long does the testing take for such a small game and patch? I'd say 1-3 days max.?!

DrMelon
7 Apr 2010, 17:03
Well and how long does the testing take for such a small game and patch? I'd say 1-3 days max.?!

You evidently have no idea what testing means, do you? Testing the game on as many different configurations of hardware, testing every single tiny bit of the game, even such things as walking on certain slope angles, punching a worm while standing between two pixel spikes when the enemy worm is above and to the left, everything! There is no speedy way to test thoroughly. I suggest you make a game, then you'll know the meaning of testing.

CyberShadow
7 Apr 2010, 17:21
Before this escalates out of control:

We are not currently working on W:A.

I am currently spending most of my time working on something that'll hopefully help me pay my bills. (Team17 has explicitly stated that they are not interested in funding any W:A development, which is understandable considering they are about to release a new PC Worms game.) Deadcode, who has been maintaining the game for so many years now, is understandably not as motivated to spend time on W:A these days, especially alone. The Beta has "neared release-quality" for several times, however new regressions have kept being found and introduced through further changes to the code. (We really should have had a "stable" and "development" branch.) I do not foresee this as anything but a temporary pause in W:A development until I have a stable source of income and free time again.

Explorer
8 Apr 2010, 13:33
I do not foresee this as anything but a temporary pause in W:A development until I have a stable source of income and free time again.

Thanks for the information. However, I have an idea:
Maybe you can make a small blog about the development progress of W:A, so that we won't keep waiting for the new Beta without knowing anything.

The blog article don't need to be long; just list what part of code you're currently working on, or what bugs you're tracking. That's it.

I don't know if WKB is a good place to put such thing.

CyberShadow
8 Apr 2010, 13:39
Why do people keep suggesting things that'll leave me even less time to work on W:A in the end? :rolleyes:

Wormetti
8 Apr 2010, 13:41
You have to write a changelog anyway, just upload the readme every now and again and if a feature goes missing on release, so be it :)

Personally I don't mind surprises and finding out all the changes at once. I can wait.

GreeN
8 Apr 2010, 17:16
Regardless of any kind of progress tracking, we will always continue to find people here asking "what's taking so long?" and we will continue having these pointlless discussions :)

What we really need to do is make some productive use of this time we have. We can open a betting pool on which features are going to be added! (Maybe excluding features we already know are likely to be included.).

So who's got a Paypal account and a gambling license?

Shtirlitz
8 Apr 2010, 18:52
We need to find people to help CyberShadow.

Wormetti
9 Apr 2010, 03:12
I bet Win98 compatibility will be readded and a desync issue will be fixed.

jsgnext
9 Apr 2010, 04:30
Why do people keep suggesting things that'll leave me even less time to work on W:A in the end? :rolleyes:

LOL! xD
I Agree...the patching is enough voluntary work.....WA is a 10 years old game.....i wont be surpriced if the patching finishes now....CS and deadcode have a life, so we dont even know if a 3.6.30 will b relased, ever!
Lets just keep on playing WA and stop thinking "When deadcode and Cybershadow will release that patch?" or "Why they dont release it?"....
They have done the patching coz they want.....no coz they must do it....

Explorer
9 Apr 2010, 15:48
Lets just keep on playing WA and stop thinking "When deadcode and Cybershadow will release that patch?" or "Why they dont release it?"...

... AND pray for them getting a job soon. (right?)

jsgnext
9 Apr 2010, 16:51
... AND pray for them getting a job soon. (right?)

They could get a job and get bored of patching, anyway....
Or maybe the Job gives them no time for patching........

Wormetti
9 Apr 2010, 17:03
I hope Team17 pays CS/DC and a team of coders to make an updated Worms Armageddon for digital distribution. Of course anything like that would be a long way off. They need to see how well Worms Reloaded does first.

franpa
9 Apr 2010, 18:13
If Worms Reloaded does well and does get a retail distribution then they'll just package an original W:A disc in the same box as a bonus or some such.

jsgnext
9 Apr 2010, 21:10
Worms reloaded looks very good for most of the new and old gen Worms fans....but I think WA will be still better in some aspects (Ex:map lenght, numworms/players in a match, etc)
Most likely, T17 does not support the updating of WA now because it can minimize the importance of WR....

franpa
10 Apr 2010, 04:36
T17 never supported the updating of W:A beyond assigning 2 people to update it waaay before a solid foundation for Worms Reloaded came about.

jsgnext
10 Apr 2010, 20:36
No.....rly?
I said worms reloaded.....but it applies to any new Gen worms game....
The WR/W2A case is a bit different, coz it attemps to atract (in some way) to the same public of the old WA, unlike WASO, for example.
I think T17, in some way, are afraid of WA because (with updates) it can be the definitive worms game....

franpa
11 Apr 2010, 05:31
I mean they didn't minimize support of W:A because of WR because there wasn't any solid ideas for WR at the time they decided to only hire Deadcode (who had to request for Cybershadow to be added to the team afaik).

jsgnext
11 Apr 2010, 19:50
Maybe you found my "engrish" a bit confusing....
I just said that T17 want to, in some way, prevent WA from updating.....more now than ever before.....but i never said that T17 supported WA aupdates in the past at all

CyberShadow
11 Apr 2010, 19:54
Team17 has explicitly stated that they do not mind if we continue updating W:A as a hobby, however they also are not interested in official development of W:A either (that includes getting it on Steam).

GreeN
11 Apr 2010, 20:01
What franpa is referring to is this:

Most likely, T17 does not support the updating of WA now because it can minimize the importance of WR....

That is not the most likely reason (In fact it's almost certainly not the reason at all). T17 gave up on developing W:A further a LONG time ago due to other commitments etc.. The community is now minute compared to the audience they are targeting with these new games and will in no way affect the outcome of the releases.

Explorer
12 Apr 2010, 07:23
T17 gave up on developing W:A further a LONG time ago...
I just wonder - will Team17 ever release the source code of WA?
I mean, partial source code. People can use it to build the engine but not the entire game.

CyberShadow
12 Apr 2010, 08:59
This has been discussed before, and it is not possible due to legal reasons.

DrMelon
12 Apr 2010, 09:03
I just wonder - will Team17 ever release the source code of WA?
I mean, partial source code. People can use it to build the engine but not the entire game.

Deadcode and Cybershadow have the source code, in its entirety. I don't know who it would fall down to to release a partial engine (like HL2's SDK - you get source code, but you don't get the full source code), whether it would be Team17 themselves (they would obviously have to authorize it) or DC or CS, I don't know, really.

Besides, the source code is written in D, a much less common language than its predecessors C and C++ - you'd have to go and learn that should you want to do anything with it.

EDIT: I am late!

CyberShadow
12 Apr 2010, 09:05
Besides, the source code is written in D, a much less common language than its predecessors C and C++ - you'd have to go and learn that should you want to do anything with it.

*facepalm*

franpa
12 Apr 2010, 15:29
Lol anyways, if they did release just the source code without any of the art/graphics or sounds then it would most likely just be the W:A v3.00 source code as I doubt Cybershadow and Deadcode want to make all there anti-cheat systems and other stuff readable like an open book. At least not while they are still developing it and even if the latest versions code was released the game would probably have a better chance of retaining a WormNET server with the source kept closed.

Melon
13 Apr 2010, 11:07
Lol anyways, if they did release just the source code without any of the art/graphics or sounds then it would most likely just be the W:A v3.00 source code as I doubt Cybershadow and Deadcode want to make all there anti-cheat systems and other stuff readable like an open book. At least not while they are still developing it and even if the latest versions code was released the game would probably have a better chance of retaining a WormNET server with the source kept closed.
It's probably not just art/graphics and sound that they aren't allowed to release though, I believe T17 own the rights to them anyway (if they can give the OK to use these resources for Worms Breakout 2 then obviously they own the rights to them). The big problem would be entire chunks of code that are third party which they aren't allowed to release. For example, when id software released the code for the original Doom engine, it came without the sound code because they couldn't release that (they didn't make it, they licensed someone else's sound library). In addition to all this, it's possible that it needs to be cleared by all of the numerous publishers that WA has had over the years (the game is still sold in some places!)

The point I'm making here is that although I personally have no idea who owns what as far as WA's code and resources go, it's highly likely that it's not T17s decision as to whether or not the code can be released, they may not even own huge chunks of the code themselves.

DrMelon
13 Apr 2010, 11:21
*facepalm*

So that is not the case? I'm only going by what I remember seeing years ago, on this forum. What is W:A programmed in, then?

CyberShadow
13 Apr 2010, 11:34
C++ with bits of assembler. D is what our WormNET bots are written in.

Explorer
13 Apr 2010, 13:33
This has been discussed before, and it is not possible due to legal reasons.
I see.

What we really need to do is make some productive use of this time we have.
Contributing to WKB (http://worms2d.info/Worms_Knowledge_Base:Contributing) should be "productive" enough, I think. ;)

d3rd3vil
5 May 2010, 13:11
Come on release the damn patch :( With Windows 7 support plz ^^

Explorer
5 May 2010, 14:23

Urging won't help. Please read the previous posts of this thread to see why.

Telémaco
6 May 2010, 03:45
Well, great.

Good news reading that the release of the BETA is near. Hope the colour issue definitively will come to history. ^^ And, maps and missions of WWP, and the possibility of load customized maps (shoppa, CTF, etc) without enter to map editor in order to agility purposes, and the posibility of play against the machine in LAN... (I wish that last request got heard)!! *o*

On other hand, I'm glad that CyberShadow and Deadcode are old loyal fans of the classic Worms Armmageddon, who keep working on it, voluntarily, improving it with no profit, just for the liking of the game and the passion of the creative work in programming questions.

Congratulations, thanks, cool for that, playing partners. ; )

PS: Any future plan of include the possibility of customize the worms and voices of every worm in the teams (kinda similar to the 3D versions), for the WA? Maybe that will be incorporated in this upcoming update? Really hard work, or relatively easy?
That would be really great and an exciting advance. I heard in the past, that this thing was difficult to develop because the 'big quantity' of files to load with slow dial connections. But, today is common fast broadband connections in most middle class houses around the world.

Undefined
21 Jul 2010, 22:17

It's easy to say. W:A needs to move to OpenGL or Direct3D for this xD

Pac-Man
21 Jul 2010, 23:14
OpenGL :mad:

poninja
22 Jul 2010, 00:32

I support you

franpa
22 Jul 2010, 04:07
It supported Vista/Windows 7 for a looong time now, now we are just waiting on a bug fix release.

Undefined
22 Jul 2010, 07:36
PX will temporarily fix the problem, instead :p

GranPC
23 Jul 2010, 09:59
What about wkColorFix?

Undefined
23 Jul 2010, 10:33
What about wkColorFix?

It's not very stable :mad:

Pac-Man
23 Jul 2010, 14:12
Since wkColorFix always recolored my frontend when a popup window appeared, I killed explorer.exe to get a working frontend (my tool Worms Launcher does this automatically for you, and also restarts explorer). However, killing the explorer is not suitable for some people because they have many folder windows open or something ;)

jsgnext
24 Jul 2010, 00:08
Yes, PX could probably solve many problems.....but, like the patch, we dont know when it will be relased xD
Anyway....I think WA have almost everything it needs to be fun....of course the patching makes it more and more awesome.....but, for now, leave the patchers alone and enjoy the WA v3.6.29.....

Alby1987
27 Jul 2010, 18:39
Only one thing should really be corrected: laser sight :D

franpa
27 Jul 2010, 18:47
Only one thing should really be corrected: laser sight :D

and the cascade of desyncs that "may" occur whenever a player quits/leaves.

CyberShadow
27 Jul 2010, 18:49
All known issues (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37121) in 3.6.29.0 have already been fixed for the next Beta.

poninja
27 Jul 2010, 18:51
Is the next beta going to be like 3.7.0 or something or it will be 4.0?

franpa
27 Jul 2010, 18:51
More likely it will be 3.6.30.0

CyberShadow
27 Jul 2010, 18:52
The version number of the next Beta version will be 3.6.30.0.

poninja
27 Jul 2010, 18:57
oh, ok

http://hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.com/lol.bmp

sebigut
7 Aug 2010, 05:28
It's possible to fix the camera to stop following invisible worms and/or "mute" the worms that are invisble for making sounds when jumping?
It's really anoyying

Pac-Man
7 Aug 2010, 08:56
It's the only way to get out where they are :S However, stopping the camera is a good idea, since users with low resolutions can follow invisible worms "better".

zep57
8 Aug 2010, 00:38
It's the only way to get out where they are :S However, stopping the camera is a good idea, since users with low resolutions can follow invisible worms "better".
what is the bet in days is still far from its outputs

MickBim
12 Sep 2010, 01:07
Looking forward to see the lastest beta patch soon :)

Djoszee
16 Sep 2010, 19:01
I cant wait to make movies like this when the new scheme format goes live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kAh35CR***&feature=related

:x

franpa
17 Sep 2010, 04:58
The link doesn't work.

Djoszee
18 Sep 2010, 19:17
oh, well it was just a silly video of a guy firing donkeys for a minute long doing a 6-digit damage...

X_xViox_X
10 Oct 2010, 03:01
youtube.com/watch?v=5kAh35CR***&feature=related

Did the link get censored by the forum? :D are the missing letters s-e-x? Though I don't know which is capitalized. :/

jsgnext
10 Oct 2010, 16:54
The video you have requested is not available.
Tried changing the *** for XXX.....but its still unavailable

SithlordDK
11 Oct 2010, 10:47
Short-URL http://youtu.be/5kAh35CR*** censored 3 letters is "f u k"

CakeDoer
24 Oct 2010, 17:00
I was playing some games with my friend over online, but no one wanted to join the (slightly tweaked) Intermediate I hosted so we decided to play by ourselves. When I used a Jet Pack to get over to him then launch the Sheep from the air, I proceeded to hide. Just before his worm would take damage the game froze.

FAKE EDIT: I think this may have been resolved in 3.6.29.0, since we were using Batty in that game (and Batty forces 3.6.28.0 emulation).

Playback at 13:30

franpa
24 Oct 2010, 18:05
I believe the jetpack is broken in either (or both) Batty Ropes and Test Stuff, either way, it's a known issue. The turn won't end if you run out of turn time while on the jetpack.