PDA

View Full Version : Problems Getting into #Welcome on the Backup Server

xbeanx
25 Jun 2008, 04:19
OK, I haven't played W:A in about a year, but I wanted to play it today. Unfortunately, no matter what I did, I couldn't log on to WormNet. After a few hours, I found out WormNet was down. (And with my luck, it went down yesterday, just a day before I had the urge to play). Anyway, after finding this out, I found CyberShadow's site and downloaded his ServerList.htm file. I got into his backup server fine (and realized those hours I spent changing configurations were wasted), but I could not join the #Welcome channel, so I still haven't been able to play yet.

When I try to enter #Welcome the mouse turns into the stopwatch and the text in the bottom box goes away, but I never get into the channel. Then, if I try to login again it tells me my username is already being used, so I change it. After logging in, I see my old name in the user list as being in the channel #Welcome. If I try joining #Welcome again the screen still never leaves the page and I don't join the channel.

Now, here's some more info. Before I found CyberShadow's site, I had searched the "fatal error during gameserver connection" message and found a few forum threads. The people who replied suggested opening a command prompt and running telnet to the wormnet server from port 6667 and port 80. I did this, and port 80 worked, while port 6667 didn't. However, some of these threads were from years ago, and I HAVE been able to play online before and haven't done anything with port 6667 that I can remember. If I could play then (I was on Windows 98 or 2000 then, and on XP now, if that matters) without touching this port, I don't see why I can't play now. Plus, I can get into CyberShadow's server, I just can't get into #Welcome, so I'm not sure if the port is even the problem.

So, basically my questions are:
Why can I log in to the backup server but not join #Welcome? Does port 6667 pose a problem, even though it never did in the past?

P.S. I also tried that other server (ItakaGames server), but the same thing happened when I tried to go in #AnythingGoes. That server only had like 5 people, while CyberShadow's had around 150, so I don't think the problem is because there are too many users.

P.P.S. Sorry if this is hard to understand. I'm a bit out of it right now.

BTW, I have the latest update.

CyberShadow
25 Jun 2008, 11:00
See here (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=657697#post657697) .

xbeanx
26 Jun 2008, 01:09
Thanks, I'm going to try the temp server now.