PDA

View Full Version : Shopper COW RULE

Rioter
23 Jun 2008, 17:31
OK last game I had a bit of a flame war about the use of COW rule in shopper.

In my view, in certain situations, yes the rule should be used, and fine, skip.

But in some situations, if it is a COMPLETE ACCIDENT, it shouldn't be instated

Anyway here's the log from the flame war. What do you think of it?

IN the situation, I aimed for red along with green underneath. Fired cows, but I missed red.
Will upload replay on request
--------------------------------------
[00:13:02.16] ••• Riot Team (R1ot3rxGiT) fires Mad Cow (herd of 3)
[00:13:06.22] [R1ot3rxGiT] sh*t
[00:13:10.12] [shoppaholic] cow
[00:13:11.00] [hajopay] cow
[00:13:12.22] [R1ot3rxGiT] sorry
[00:13:13.68] [R1ot3rxGiT] missed red entirely
[00:13:13.68] [hajopay] skip next round
[00:13:25.98] [R1ot3rxGiT] :| it was accident
[00:13:30.26] [hajopay] and?
[00:13:35.96] [hajopay] it was cow
[00:13:37.94] [R1ot3rxGiT] ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!
[00:13:43.00] [hajopay] these are rulz
[00:13:46.72] [R1ot3rxGiT] and youre not host, host decides thanks
[00:13:51.84] [R1ot3rxGiT] and you werent affected
[00:13:52.38] [hajopay] yes np....but it was cow
[00:14:03.56] [hajopay] i know that
[00:14:04.96] [R1ot3rxGiT] yes, there are deliberate, and there are accidental
[00:14:08.88] [R1ot3rxGiT] that was the latter
[00:14:25.76] [hajopay] so respect rulz
[00:14:25.76] [R1ot3rxGiT] to be fair its a STUPID rule in that situation
[00:14:44.86] [hajopay] who cows has to skip or we make KTC!
[00:14:46.70] [hajopay] ok?
[00:14:51.52] [shoppaholic] but a rule is rule, and if you breat it you have to skip
[00:15:02.06] [hajopay] danke shoppa
[00:15:04.28] [R1ot3rxGiT] The COW rule was there to penalise people who deliberately attacked someone
[00:15:04.28] [shoppaholic] no, if he doesnt skip i kick him
[00:15:09.10] [R1ot3rxGiT] not for people making an accident
[00:15:27.68] [R1ot3rxGiT] hey I respect rules and that, but we all make accidents
[00:15:46.20] [hajopay] ogm
[00:15:46.20] [shoppaholic] yes, and if we make a mistake we have to skip
[00:15:57.26] [R1ot3rxGiT] no not really
[00:16:15.08] [R1ot3rxGiT] ill skip because I have had enough bull* from you about the rule
[00:16:37.52] [hajopay] not because.....u have to
[00:16:39.42] [hajopay] so hard to understand?
[00:16:52.18] [R1ot3rxGiT] its not HAVE TO!
[00:16:57.12] [R1ot3rxGiT] its not law
[00:16:58.62] [hajopay] it is
[00:17:03.96] [hajopay] no its not
[00:17:27.72] [R1ot3rxGiT] I can ask a lot of people, including Cybershadow, and trust me they will be on my side
[00:17:33.70] [R1ot3rxGiT] its an ACCIDENT!
[00:18:17.98] [R1ot3rxGiT] >_>
[00:18:34.34] [R1ot3rxGiT] rules are not set in stone matey
[00:18:34.34] [R1ot3rxGiT] they can be changed
[00:18:59.78] [hajopay] so leave the server if u dont like it riot
[00:19:02.48] [shoppaholic] yes, but by a majority, and the majority of players says: if you cow, you have to skip
[00:19:23.82] [hajopay] noob

raffie
23 Jun 2008, 17:35
Wel i'd say breaking the rules is about 99% of the time an accident. Sometimes if you have some really bad luck the cowed person will say you don't have to skip, but otherwise really, cow = skip...

yakuza
23 Jun 2008, 17:36
It's dumb to argue in a funner, and leagues have strict rules. Either way, intentionality should be irrelevant or everything would be more complicated. Since you have full control of Cowing or not, you are to take a penalty if you do. Simple enough.

bonz
23 Jun 2008, 17:51
Besides, a smacktard that intentionally does a COW by attacking someone he isn't allowed to wouldn't skip anyway.

I see those rules as game modes actually. And until DC/CS hard-code them into the game, we'll have to adhere to them or all those games played on WN are rather useless.
The host should announce the ruleset he'd like to play with, but really, you should expect that the most common rules are play anyway before entering a game.

DarkOne
23 Jun 2008, 19:34
ktc = phail.
period.

Melon
23 Jun 2008, 20:27
[00:17:27.72] [R1ot3rxGiT] I can ask a lot of people, including Cybershadow, and trust me they will be on my side
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

"Hey, don't do that or I'll tell Cybershadow!"

In other news, this is partly why I don't play shoppas or wXws. It seems to turn some people into utter asses.

Diablo vt
23 Jun 2008, 20:42
Here here.

raffie
23 Jun 2008, 21:18
Besides, a smacktard that intentionally does a COW by attacking someone he isn't allowed to wouldn't skip anyway.

I just cant stop laughing at this xD

could've been the 'smacktard'
:)

bonz
23 Jun 2008, 22:18
I just cant stop laughing at this xD

could've been the 'smacktard'
Well, it's not proper Oxford English... :)

Rioter
23 Jun 2008, 22:43
Still funny :D :D

But more to the point, it has really put me off playing on WormNET totally unfortunately. Along with "YOU MUST STATE RULES OR YOU DONT PLAY EVER" it just isn't friendly no more :( - NO TRUST!

Plainplane
23 Jun 2008, 22:48
With a COW, you have to skip one turn regardless. I know because I have accidently cowed several times recently.

The way the host was going "skip next round" was way too far.

KTC is for people who COW, and keep COWing. It is mainly aimed at people who are intentionally breaking the rule over and over, refusing to skip the turn, or for people who join the game and simply refuse to accept the rules.

GoDxWyvern
23 Jun 2008, 22:55
It's so simple: If you play with random people and do a cow, skip to avoid an argument; if you play with mates, nobody will give a poop anyway. :p

Plasma
23 Jun 2008, 23:01
You're supposed to skip a turn regardless. It stops these 'accidents' being done on purpose.

SgtFusion
23 Jun 2008, 23:27
And it can also depend on the person who was affected by cowing. If they're nice enough, they may say you don't have to skip if it was obviously an accident. I once was playing a w2w, in which I dropped a HHG, but it bounced off the intended target and damaged another team and didn't even affect the intended target. However, the person was nice enough to say I didn't have to skip, since it was an accident. On a sidenote, I once was playing a game where I had one worm left with 27 health, and one of the guys who was playing killed me (I was not at the top), and then claimed that he didn't know it was my worm because he had names turned off.

tehceech
23 Jun 2008, 23:58
do a cow

oo which cow would you do? I'm guessing it would be Beat2k because he's rugged yet sensitive and will probably beat you after copulating or aron because he's soft and doughy like a giant freshly baked loaf of Hovis or would you prefer DrPepper and his razor sharp cheek bones and his perfectly toned catwalk ass?

Anyway as the official COW legal guy it is my duty to inform you that the COW rule will never be officially implemented in Worms.
After being approached by Team17 in 1999 with a somewhat lukewarm offer I consulted with my colleagues in COW and TEC and advised them to reject their cheap trinkets in favour of waiting for a more lucrative offer from 3D Realms. I have it on good authority that a contract has already been drawn up and approved by all parties and shall come into effect upon the release of Duke Nukem Forever.
Obviously I can't reveal all the details but involves a significant cash sum and a 30 minute private audience with LeveLord.
I should let you know that as part of my retainer with COW and TEC it is my duty to monitor unofficial usage of the term and any infringement on our interests. So far you are well within the projected $780,000 usage allowance drawn up by Vader and upon completion of our contract with 3D Realms this sum will be persued.

franpa
24 Jun 2008, 02:49
If I host, then I leave it up to the person/people that got hurt in the dodge attack. I also, if it was a completely obvious mistake, ignore it unless a ton of damage was dealt :P then i reluctantly force the player to skip, or they will get booted from the game as soon as they finish the turn they should have skipped.

Rioter
24 Jun 2008, 13:18
To be fair, it is a completely STUPID rule. I never saw a point in it unless it was a tournament or a cup game, then fair enough. But in a friendly, where we are just playing for fun, WE DONT NEED THIS! ITS JUST A GAME, SO WHY BE SO SERIOUS! If there's a persistant rule breaker, then kick him or kill his **** off. But the one off, then WTF!

I could also go on about the KTL and ABL rule here as well - how annoying it can be. KTL you can mess around and play around with so you find yourself being outwitted while opponents put themselves second or third to avoid the chop.

I am really prepared to get the details of the person who started this COW rule off and give them a shouting here. (worms2d.info here I come)

Oh and if you see me hosting a shopper game, it will always be Free For All! And if you mention one rule in a PM or in the channel, you will be kicked! No kid! Not even for a freaking joke!

**RANT OVER**

raffie
24 Jun 2008, 14:00
Lol r1oter I don't get what you are on about honestly. The game has rules. If the rules arent going to be enforced, some (many) ppl aren't going to abide by them. Simple as that. And because you could make a tactic out of making 'accidents' quite easely, and no1 can be 100% certain wether you do something intentionally or accidentally, that factor is ignored.

If you find it so difficult to deal with that, play normals; problem solved.

franpa
24 Jun 2008, 14:11
The game has rules. If the rules arent going to be enforced,
then what is to stop them from always breaking them? ;) the only way is to enforce them via making the person either skip or boot them, booting them obviously wont teach 'em much though.

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 14:47
I am really prepared to get the details of the person who started this COW rule off and give them a shouting here. (worms2d.info here I come)

One of them already posted in this thread.
But seriously, stop crying, it's annoying and you aren't making any sense. Rules aren't there to **** you off, they're there to make the game balanced and therefore generally better and more fun.
If you don't like it host your own fullwormageshoppingwhatever. In the time you've (and we) wasted with this thread a total of 0 people played a worms game and felt the way you do, stop being so trivia.

What I really mean is, L2P.

franpa
24 Jun 2008, 15:10
they're there to make the game balanced and therefore generally better and more fun.
No, without rules, the game is classed as a "normal" game :) rules = shoppa game, no rules = normal game.

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 15:32
No, without rules, the game is classed as a "normal" game :) rules = shoppa game, no rules = normal game.

You might get away with random crap that makes no sense if you're Matt Greoging, but you aren't.

[UFP]Ghost
24 Jun 2008, 16:08
I think we can all agree that some hosts are strict about rules and it sucks to have them hosting. They enforce a rule that although they are allowed to, they really shouldn't. Then you have a nicer breed of host, like myself, who does not make one skip after a cow unless it's done twice. Then you have the nicest kind that never makes you skip unless it's obvious that you keep doing on purpose. Then there's the worst kind of host that uses the boot which shouldn't be used.

Now everyone has their own rules and the rules may be stupid. You, not being the host makes it is their call. As stupid as any rule may be, he has the right to make them. The only way to change that is simply by not joining his games. A host with no players gets nowhere.

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 16:13
Too bad the nicest kind of host allow the worst kind of people to unleash their badness.

Balance is key, and that's why certain rules exist.

raffie
24 Jun 2008, 17:08
Ghost;657571']I think we can all agree that some hosts are strict about rules and it sucks to have them hosting. They enforce a rule that although they are allowed to, they really shouldn't. Then you have a nicer breed of host, like myself, who does not make one skip after a cow unless it's done twice.
I don't think the host should interfere at all. It's really between the person being cowed and the cowee. I think thats even nicer a host, one that doesnt interfere, like me (as long as we're talking ourselfs up).
I mean, how a 'nice breed' of host does the person being cowed and asking the cowee to skip think you are saying, no he doesnt have to skip, i'm the host i decide. Lol.

tehceech
24 Jun 2008, 17:54

Let me know how you get on with that

Djoszee
24 Jun 2008, 18:27
Most of the people who complain about cowing are crybabies and noobs. If you want to satisfy them, just pick a crate and a hide (and don't attack)

Rioter
24 Jun 2008, 19:50
OK I appear to be outcoming this all wrong, and the responses aren't true to the message I am trying (and failing) to produce

I am in full support of CBA and AFR(and FBA/WBA/SBA/WhateverBA) , thats fine with me, and if them rules are broken yes I support COW rule! So don't stop me with that part!

Its when cow is used in KTL and ABL when it is a complete accident - is when I get so frustrated. Case scenario, what I mentioned

And I admit my last post was like a bit, well, off - it was the morning when my head wasn't right.

But it is REALLY annoying when people don't get that it is a friendly, and all that

Understand me and my ranting better?

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 20:17
Imagine how frustated one would be if he was last and you killed his last worm by accident.

Rioter
24 Jun 2008, 20:50
Imagine how frustated one would be if he was last and you killed his last worm by accident.

Again that would be a different circumstance - I can't think of EVERY circumstance

And this was in the middle of the game!

Alien King
24 Jun 2008, 20:59

It's worse when they do it deliberatly, knowing the rule and accepting a skip go penalty.

You should accept the penalty for any rule infraction, regardless of the fact it may have been an accident.
You broke a rule and thus should accept the penalty (skip next go); it's that simple.
If you refuse to accept such a simple penalty, then the other players will be irritated and will start to enforce a harsher penalty (KTC).
If no penalty is enforced, then you basically get away with rule breaking and that really isn't a good thing.

Just avoid breaking the rules and play with them and you'll have no problems yourself*. Just pay attention to the team health meters and create nice big pile ups.

*Obviously other people will be break the rules, but that's a different and more difficult matter.

[UFP]Ghost
24 Jun 2008, 22:00
I don't think the host should interfere at all. It's really between the person being cowed and the cowee. I think thats even nicer a host, one that doesnt interfere, like me (as long as we're talking ourselfs up).
I mean, how a 'nice breed' of host does the person being cowed and asking the cowee to skip think you are saying, no he doesnt have to skip, i'm the host i decide. Lol.

How would that ever work? That like saying to criminals I'll let you and the family of the person whom you shot by accident decide your punishment. There always needs to be a judge. And the host becomes that judge because you joined his host.

bonz
24 Jun 2008, 22:35
Hmmm...
I think someone should put together a WormKit script that enforces the ABL (or KTL) rule.

Plainplane
24 Jun 2008, 22:50
Hmmm...
I think someone should put together a WormKit script that enforces the ABL (or KTL) rule.Sounds like a good idea.

xbeanx
25 Jun 2008, 08:32
Like someone said on here, if you don't skip because it was an accident then someone else could deliberately cow and say it was an "accident" and get away with it. So, even though yours really was an accident, you should still skip so that people can't abuse the system.

raffie
25 Jun 2008, 12:24
Ghost;657633']How would that ever work? That like saying to criminals I'll let you and the family of the person whom you shot by accident decide your punishment. There always needs to be a judge. And the host becomes that judge because you joined his host.

How would it ever work? It has worked perfectly for years for me. If the person cowed says to skip, I will back him and kick the cow or ktc if he doesnt. If he doesn't say anything, or says it's okay, thats it we just play on as if nothing happened.
Really not so hard to understand is it.

Hmmm...
I think someone should put together a WormKit script that enforces the ABL (or KTL) rule.

I'm not saying things would be worst if this existed, but I don't see it as absolutely nessecary. Again, things work fine as they are now. If you're being cowed it's your call if the person has to skip or not. If he doesnt even if u said to skip, there is always the ktc rule or the kick feature.

Most of the people who complain about cowing are crybabies and noobs. If you want to satisfy them, just pick a crate and a hide (and don't attack)

Lol, so you wouldn't complain about ppl breaking the rules on your account then? All fine if you only play with ppl you know well, like your clanmates. Playing with random ppl on WN is a different thing and from my POV, the crybabies are the ppl who b*tch and moan about having to skip when they break the games rules.

ShyGuy
25 Jun 2008, 20:53
Wow, a thread about something I learned my first few days at worms, lol.

Anyway, all this flaming over a funner?

Gnork
26 Jun 2008, 11:32
zZz ... ZzZz *snap* hmmmmA? making mistakes is something all humans do - common sense instead of rules should be applied in such a case. I myself am half colour-blind, and sometimes mess up green and yellow in a very hasty move. Sorry green, if I should have gotten yellow instead and vice versa, but my brain just didn't make the right decision. Was that on purpose? No, cz it's in my genes and I couldn't help it. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it simply does - neuron failure. So what. Whatever decision is made, it shows about a lot about the hosts character. I don't give a **** is somebody cowed by accident - especially not if he didn't cow on my worms :P But if you host a flyshopper and some moron just starts to zook around without flying, picking up a crate or AFR - even after telling him this is not the way to play, then it's obvious. KTC that mtf...

From what I noticed is that people who just started to play worms are holding on much more to the rules than experienced players. A cow act really doesn't matter that much, cz you know you're gonna beat his sorrow ass into the water anyway within the next turns. But a noob just notices his health dropping more and more and gets in panic, cz he want's to win and thinks he can't anymore if he's in last position on the health bar. Then their whining starts. Shut it noob. Personally, I love the ABL-whoring around and I find last place a very attractive one in a game. Nothing better than having several if not all your worms ****ed up in ABL position - so if you no0bed up with something called a cow act and helped my worms into that very strategic position, I won't mind that much. It's also good for piles, cz your almost dead worm will hurt them when he dies and might even setup a snowball kill effect.

In an abl game you can take revenge, forgot about that? Oh yeah, u r playing ktl of course - cz it sounds so pro - so you have no chance to revenge the cower unless he's piled with the leader or leader himself, I forgot. That's why ktl sux so much btw - did you notice yourself, noob? So why do you keep playing a fun and unfair game with a suxzor ruleset which isn't meant for shoppers then? Hope you learn from it. That's why I disgust ktl shoppers so bloody much - cz of the many cow whining in it. If you would have just played with abl many cows were no cows.... Yup, people have different thoughts.

Oh, btw, here in DM we have a nice extra rule about cowing since quite a while already:

*cough*
what is ktl?

ROFL...........

ABL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if i attack myself incluiding the last one is not COW
*cough*

^^ so just apply the darkeyes rule and ur safe xD
(but really, don't use that rule unless you play with people you know) ;)

yakuza
26 Jun 2008, 11:35
zZz ... ZzZz *snap* hmmmmA? making mistakes is something all humans do - common sense instead of rules should be applied in such a case. I myself am half colour-blind, and sometimes mess up green and yellow in a very hasty move. Sorry green, if I should have gotten yellow instead and vice versa, but my brain just didn't make the right decision. Was that on purpose? No, cz it's in my genes and I couldn't help it. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it simply does - neuron failure.

You could blame your genes or you could adapt to the situation and remember the names of the worms. You know, like all people with handicaps do.

Lines should be drawn, and whilst it might not be important in funners, there's no reason to come up with bizarre excuses.

Gnork
26 Jun 2008, 12:21
remember the names of the worms.

oh, i'm so bad with names - don't ask me that - can't remember them outside a game neither xD

bizarre excuses.
about the colours was no excuse at all, just an example of not cowing on purpose. :)

franpa
26 Jun 2008, 12:39
you could be one of the colours you have trouble with and then 50% of the time you will attack yourself ;)

balver
26 Jun 2008, 13:14
Gnork, you don't need to know the colors. Just team's name is enough. Use Delete key.

Gnork
26 Jun 2008, 17:16
you could be one of the colours you have trouble with and then 50% of the time you will attack yourself ;)

yes :D

Gnork, you don't need to know the colors. Just team's name is enough. Use Delete key.

no.
team names are only useful in a 2vs2vs2 or 3vs3 or other team game and you need to hit the strongest player with a certain colour. When it comes to speed and panic situations, nobody is gonna read the newspaper but will have a quick 0.2 seconds look at colours instead. Having all those text above the worms is annoying too. Terrain getting blocked from view etc... no thx. We are talking about a situation occurring only very sometimes (usually in hasty situation, where the brain interprets colour information from the eyes wrong) - possibly influenced by certain terrain colours as well. For instance, if you take one of those maps with huge banana's on them, a worm in a cave situation having a green label above his name can just blend in to the rest of the map and be unnoticed. Even when his green name is outside the banana terrain, it can, to players like me, just be interpreted as a player with yellow team colour. But people who are not colour-blind can never understand this, cz they never experienced such. Best solution is to have colours that don't look alike too much, or to be able to have custom colours set in the configuration options. yes, you can switch between high and low intensity colours, but the other setting is even worse in my case. I can imagine people who are colour-blind when seeing purple and blue experience the same problem, though that is far less common. so much bla, all about an accidental cow act xD

CyberShadow
26 Jun 2008, 18:18
Gnork: what kind of colour blindness do you have? There's some information on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_blindness#Classification_of_color_deficienc ies) if you need help with determining that.

yakuza
26 Jun 2008, 18:39
yes :D

no.
team names are only useful in a 2vs2vs2 or 3vs3 or other team game and you need to hit the strongest player with a certain colour. When it comes to speed and panic situations, nobody is gonna read the newspaper but will have a quick 0.2 seconds look at colours instead. Having all those text above the worms is annoying too. Terrain getting blocked from view etc... no thx. We are talking about a situation occurring only very sometimes (usually in hasty situation, where the brain interprets colour information from the eyes wrong) - possibly influenced by certain terrain colours as well. For instance, if you take one of those maps with huge banana's on them, a worm in a cave situation having a green label above his name can just blend in to the rest of the map and be unnoticed. Even when his green name is outside the banana terrain, it can, to players like me, just be interpreted as a player with yellow team colour. But people who are not colour-blind can never understand this, cz they never experienced such. Best solution is to have colours that don't look alike too much, or to be able to have custom colours set in the configuration options. yes, you can switch between high and low intensity colours, but the other setting is even worse in my case. I can imagine people who are colour-blind when seeing purple and blue experience the same problem, though that is far less common. so much bla, all about an accidental cow act xD

I have to admit I only read the first line of your fatagraph. But still, check who you're supposed before your turn, and then remove the team names and start your turn. Repeat everytime it's your turn.

Almost all good players I know don't start their turn until they have decided who to hit, anyway.

Gnork
26 Jun 2008, 19:56
Almost all good players I know don't start their turn until they have decided who to hit, anyway.

oh, absolutely. im not making a huge fuzz, just used some words to explain what might happen sometimes :D its not something that happens on purpose, that's all ;)

Gnork
26 Jun 2008, 21:07
Gnork: what kind of colour blindness do you have? There's some information on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_blindness#Classification_of_color_deficienc ies) if you need help with determining that.

heh, funny article. Well, I remember back in the school days some doctor once came by to check on colour vision. At a certain point, she was holding a lot of those dotted cards in front of me, and it turned out something strange was going on. Some cards which I couldn't read made her grab some others which I 'should' be able to read a number from, but I couldn't read those as well. And Other cards which I shouldn't be able to read turned out to be fine... She didn't know what to make from it, and I just went like "why couldn't i see anything readable on at least 10 cards in a row she showed me... while others are so clear" :confused:

Grr. anyway - the problem is somewhere in the green - cz I read on that wiki a clear red number 37 which should explain my clear night vision as well, and then something green with a U or maybe a 4 if I concentrate really well (the 2nd character is impossible to determine) - and then the 56 at last is obvious too. :D oh, and I do read '21' further below, instead of...74? no way, thats 21. <-- unless i take more and more time to look at it, then it blurs in, but I have to check the dots almost manually to see its green :P

Plainplane
26 Jun 2008, 21:41
Here's a new one - what if the host is the cower?

ShyGuy
26 Jun 2008, 23:46
Here's a new one - what if the host is the cower?

I would state your stand on the consequences of breaking the rules before starting a game, and stick to them.

Plainplane
27 Jun 2008, 00:06
I mean is that everything seemed fine in the first half of the game, then the host started just attacking me despite that I was in last, without skipping. He kept claiming that he was sorry, but he kept attacking me until I died.

ShyGuy
27 Jun 2008, 01:44
Then you call him a dirty name and quit the game.

franpa
27 Jun 2008, 05:13
call him a psychopathic low life scum bag who can't handle skilled players and needs to cheat to win through life..

Clavius_SA
27 Jun 2008, 14:41
Petition to rename "shoppa" to "uptight retarded rules that add nothing to the enjoyment of the game" and rename "shopper" to "pick up crates for your weapons and blow stuff up".

yakuza
27 Jun 2008, 15:41
Petition to rename "shoppa" to "uptight retarded rules that add nothing to the enjoyment of the game" and rename "shopper" to "pick up crates for your weapons and blow stuff up".

People hate what they don't understand.

bonz
27 Jun 2008, 16:48
I think "shoppa" is the correct term, because Andy D. used "supa shoppa" as the cheat code for crate showers in Worms DC. :rolleyes:

yakuza
27 Jun 2008, 17:09
But official "Shopping" schemes used to have the term "Shopper".
"Shopper", "ShopperLeague".
They all had in common that crates droped pretty much every turn and that your offensive weapons were limited at the begining.

bonz
27 Jun 2008, 19:16
But official "Shopping" schemes used to have the term "Shopper".
"Shopper", "ShopperLeague".
They all had in common that crates droped pretty much every turn and that your offensive weapons were limited at the begining.
Yes, and Worms DC was released in 1997, at the same time or prior to Worms 2, thus was using the term "shoppa" before anything else.

Muzer
27 Jun 2008, 20:13
They are used for completely different meaning bonz, to be fair.

franpa
28 Jun 2008, 02:09
I use the term "Shopper" because it is a actual word which simply makes it easier for people who are learning english, to recognize.

raffie
28 Jun 2008, 11:09
I use alternatevely sh00pr; shOppUr; ShoppZ or SHoPPiNGeRa. People join anyway :p

Crazy Crates, thats when ppl get confused ;)

CyberShadow
28 Jun 2008, 11:49
heh, funny article. Well, I remember back in the school days some doctor once came by to check on colour vision. At a certain point, she was holding a lot of those dotted cards in front of me, and it turned out something strange was going on. Some cards which I couldn't read made her grab some others which I 'should' be able to read a number from, but I couldn't read those as well. And Other cards which I shouldn't be able to read turned out to be fine... She didn't know what to make from it, and I just went like "why couldn't i see anything readable on at least 10 cards in a row she showed me... while others are so clear" :confused:

Grr. anyway - the problem is somewhere in the green - cz I read on that wiki a clear red number 37 which should explain my clear night vision as well, and then something green with a U or maybe a 4 if I concentrate really well (the 2nd character is impossible to determine) - and then the 56 at last is obvious too. :D oh, and I do read '21' further below, instead of...74? no way, thats 21. <-- unless i take more and more time to look at it, then it blurs in, but I have to check the dots almost manually to see its green :P
So, you think it's Deuteranopia?

Also, could you pick 6 colours you can easily distinguish, but are still relatively close to the standard W:A colour palette (see below)?

http://thecybershadow.net/dump/66fc61c31f9b56aa6945d976039d935d/aoeu.png

Gnork
28 Jun 2008, 15:30
So, you think it's Deuteranopia?

Also, could you pick 6 colours you can easily distinguish, but are still relatively close to the standard W:A colour palette (see below)?

http://thecybershadow.net/dump/66fc61c31f9b56aa6945d976039d935d/aoeu.png

Well, the colour palette shown does not give any big problems. All colours can be clearly distinguished. But when playing and being very active and concentrated on other things, maybe a darker green would be nice, just to give more contrast with the yellow. Both yellow and green are a bit too much neon bright. Or make the yellow orange? :P But then you will get other people complaining not being able to differ the red and the orange xD I'd vote for some forest green instead of the toxic waste colour.

edit: tried the other setting in the config screen and it looks quite better actually... just the green i wanted :p (never checked those settings since i got a different monitor xD)

Plasma
28 Jun 2008, 15:39
Well, the colour palette shown does not give any big problems. All colours can be clearly distinguished. But when playing and being very active and concentrated on other things, maybe a darker green would be nice, just to give more contrast with the yellow. Both yellow and green are a bit too much neon bright. Or make the yellow orange? :P But then you will get other people complaining not being able to differ the red and the orange xD I'd vote for some forest green instead of the toxic waste colour.
I think he meant go into a Paint program and choose six colours similar to the ones shown, but easier for you to distinguish.

franpa
28 Jun 2008, 15:39
you can choose the colour scheme in the game options, only idiots would choose the scheme with orange and then complain about it.

EDIT: plasma -_-"

bonz
28 Jun 2008, 21:31
They are used for completely different meaning bonz, to be fair.
One of them was coined by Andy D. and that's what counts to be more credible to me.