PDA

View Full Version : Vista + Intel Graphic Chipset - Anything happening?

Rioter
19 Jun 2008, 23:49
OK, although I am getting along fine with XP on the laptop, I would at one point want to go forward to Vista.

But then I have this worms issue again, due to my laptop carrying an Intel Extreme Graphics chipset - then ultimately drivers.

Just to clarify, and ask the question....

Is anything being done about it?

I.e. worms patch? intel patch? dll patch?

Thanks

franpa
20 Jun 2008, 01:43
If you wait till W:A 4.0 you will be able to play on your intel card.

MrBunsy
20 Jun 2008, 07:27
I would at one point want to go forward to Vista.

Seriously, why? Sure, support is going to drop of for XP eventually, but by that time Windows 7 will be out and Microsoft will be quietly ignoring Vista like it did ME.

Hopefully, anyway :p

Rioter
20 Jun 2008, 10:39
OK the reason why I want to go back to vista, is because of a (very annoying) flaw with my laptop. If I put it into standby, and then take it out, the fans do not start, and then eventually the system will cut me off as it is too hot.

It never happened on vista due to a vista specific driver. :mad:

OK if WA4 will solve the issue, then I will wait, just that I could not find a post saying will the issue be fixed in the near future

franpa
20 Jun 2008, 11:41
WA4 is not in the near future.

yakuza
20 Jun 2008, 12:02
I have an Intel Chipset (Gigabyte motherboard) on Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. Worms Armageddon works like a charm.

CyberShadow
20 Jun 2008, 12:43
The problem seems to affect only mobile chipsets, found on laptops.

bonz
20 Jun 2008, 13:43
Have you looked around to find a solution for this problem? XP drivers from your vendor's hompage maybe?

yakuza
20 Jun 2008, 16:21
Seriously, why? Sure, support is going to drop of for XP eventually, but by that time Windows 7 will be out and Microsoft will be quietly ignoring Vista like it did ME.

Hopefully, anyway :p

Directx10? More RAM?

I have to say I haven't tried XP SP3, though.

franpa
21 Jun 2008, 01:51
I have to say I haven't tried XP SP3, though.
It's just a easier way to install the updates without installing WGA >.>

MrBunsy
21 Jun 2008, 13:02
Directx10? More RAM?Windows 7 will likely be out before either of them become wanted.

SP3 doesn't really change much. Few new advanced tabs here and there and a shiny remote desktop is about all I've noticed.

yakuza
21 Jun 2008, 14:46
Windows 7 will likely be out before either of them become wanted.

SP3 doesn't really change much. Few new advanced tabs here and there and a shiny remote desktop is about all I've noticed.

If you mean become mainstream then sure. But I want them, and I want them now. Hence I use Vista.

lookias
21 Jun 2008, 19:25
cant imagine why someone wants windows.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmuMwfASD0&feature=related
this guy not even needs a big pc.

MrBunsy
21 Jun 2008, 19:49
cant imagine why someone wants windows.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmuMwfASD0&feature=related
this guy not even needs a big pc.

And how many of the good (+mainstream) games released this year run on Linux? UT3 is all I can think of, and that's debatable as to whether it was actually any good. Simply put, you still need Windows for gaming. WA can work under WINE, but not consistently; same for most games. If a big player like Valve were to support Linux, porting Source and Steam, then maybe things will change. As things currently stand that seems highly unlikely.

@Yakuza: personally I've yet to see anything which needs DX10 that's worth bothering with. Almost all the supposedly DX10 features of Crysis can be enabled manually on XP.

Squirminator2k
21 Jun 2008, 19:58
Simply put, you still need Windows for gaming.
I know we've had our differences, but I think I'm falling for you all over again.

@Yakuza: personally I've yet to see anything which needs DX10 that's worth bothering with. Almost all the supposedly DX10 features of Crysis can be enabled manually on XP.

Bioshock. It doesn't need DX10, but it sure as Hell looks a lot nicer with it.

lookias
21 Jun 2008, 20:14
hm my only real problem with WA is in case i save a map, the frontend does something like a crash then. and i cant use autohotkey or another cheat tool for tapmacros :)

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=w6i99ccvpMQ&feature=related

Rioter
22 Jun 2008, 14:55
Like I have said, I want vista back on to fix a problem with drivers. The driver is Vista specific, and Acer wont release it for XP.

And although XP drivers for the graphic card worked on Vista, it was highly unstable

Squirminator2k
22 Jun 2008, 18:58
ALl you do is wait for Intel to release backwards-compatible drivers. Drop them an email and let them know.

plaf
22 Jun 2008, 22:54
OK the reason why I want to go back to vista, is because of a (very annoying) flaw with my laptop. If I put it into standby, and then take it out, the fans do not start, and then eventually the system will cut me off as it is too hot.

OK if WA4 will solve the issue, then I will wait, just that I could not find a post saying will the issue be fixed in the near future
im not sure if this will fix your problem, but i use SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to control the fans on my pc. it monitors your pcs temperature and adjusts fans speed accordingly, but i dont know if your bug disables fans or just forgets to make them run

Rioter
23 Jun 2008, 16:50
im not sure if this will fix your problem, but i use SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to control the fans on my pc. it monitors your pcs temperature and adjusts fans speed accordingly, but i dont know if your bug disables fans or just forgets to make them run

Heh - can't! Acer blocks any third party apps from controlling the fans! :eek:

Anyways, "Good news everyone!" - I did a BIOS upgrade, and it seems to have resolved the issue :D I can now safely postpone my Vista restore.

Although it would be nice to have the issue with vista notebook & intelextreme fixed at one point. It's nice making a list, but to be fair I have not seen any evidence of anything happening (whether that be intel fix, or WA4 if ever)

bonz
23 Jun 2008, 17:55
I can now safely postpone my Vista restore.
You mean skip your Vista restore, ignore it for good and keep using XP until Windows 7 arrives.

Squirminator2k
23 Jun 2008, 17:56
Except the driver-related woes will likely carry on to Windows 7 anyway.

yakuza
23 Jun 2008, 18:09
I don't really understand the hate on Vista, I understand it's not useful for some people but how those people can't appreciate that it's better than its precessors on many aspects is beyond me. It's the new generation Gaming PC OS and no other OS offers that alternative, XP can't handle the top notch games (nor the top notch systems for that matter), and that will apply to more and more games before Windows 7 is even announced and the other OSS just don't offer the compatibility.

I've played Bioshock on both operating systems, one of the games that I've actually bothered enough to complete for the last couple of years, and Vista makes it a better game. It also makes Mass Effect better and any other game coming out worth playing.

Squirminator2k
23 Jun 2008, 18:12
The problem, Yak, is that a lot of people have driver-related issues because hardware developers can't be bothered to learn how to writer proper drivers for their older hardware. Vista's been out for a year now. Even with Microsoft giving out insufficient data prior to Vista's release, hardware devs should have it down by now.

yakuza
23 Jun 2008, 18:19
The problem, Yak, is that a lot of people have driver-related issues because hardware developers can't be bothered to learn how to writer proper drivers for their older hardware. Vista's been out for a year now. Even with Microsoft giving out insufficient data prior to Vista's release, hardware devs should have it down by now.

Yeah, this was what made me go back to XP the first time I tried Vista few weeks after its release. Minor things though, Wifi Card, my Nokia phone, Speakers were a tad low. However I finally decided to build a computer around Vista, which is still better than building one around XP, for gaming, at least.

The dirver issues shouldn't really affect new equipment though, and if it does, there's nothing I can think to justify the developers, specially since every new computer is being shipped with Vista.

Rioter
23 Jun 2008, 18:33
The thing is that it is new, supported equipment the graphic card, and intel can't be asked to fix the conflict.

Also, what IS the problem?

Back to my main question - is there ANYTHING being done and actually done to resolve this?

Now I don't want speculation as to what might happen, I want to know what IS happening

Sorry for the harsh tone, but I am trying to suck out information which is either being concealed, or non-existant

(And also CyberShadow, you are being quiet... any particular reason?)

yakuza
23 Jun 2008, 18:45
He might be quiet because a quick forum search for "Intel Chipsets" would show you that in this moment of time you're pretty much hopeless.

MrBunsy
23 Jun 2008, 20:00
I don't really understand the hate on Vista, I understand it's not useful for some people but how those people can't appreciate that it's better than its precessors on many aspects is beyond me. It's the new generation Gaming PC OS and no other OS offers that alternative, XP can't handle the top notch games (nor the top notch systems for that matter), and that will apply to more and more games before Windows 7 is even announced and the other OSS just don't offer the compatibility.

XP boots up faster, which is one of my main reasons. Other than that, I (certainly before SP1) can get higher framerates in XP in existing games, which are what I play right now. I've not played Bioshock, so I really can't comment on that, and as to future games I've got my eye on Left 4 Dead (Source engine, so won't support DX10 anyway) and Multiwinia (likely as not will be openGL). Neither of which will benefit from Vista, and I doubt Spore will either. Added to that the fact that XP is very stable leaves me with little reason to want Vista.

Also, the few times I have used Vista have not left a good impression. Unstable and irritating spring to mind.

And you never know, by Windows 7 there might be some good XP emulation/simulation systems out for games.

Squirminator2k
23 Jun 2008, 20:02
Sounds like your computer's fairly oldish, Bunsy...

MrBunsy
23 Jun 2008, 20:15
My old one is rather (heh, by definition), and I've not dared let Vista near my new laptop, which may well have skewed my perspective of Vista. Nonetheless, I'm not planing to switch over until I have to, or I see something I really want. Possibly STALKER: Clear Sky may change my mind, but I'll wait and see.

yakuza
23 Jun 2008, 23:33
Loads faster? oO
Just a couple of hours ago, my new computer arrived, and I was dumb enough to get a harddrive that wasn't compatible with my DVD burner, so I had to put my old harddrive onto the motherboard with XP installed. It took XP ages of restarting itself to find out all the drivers for the new stuff and half the **** wouldn't work. The Gigabyte ethernet card wouldn't install properly so I had no internet access, no sound. I connected my DVD burner to my old harddrive and booted with the Vista CD. In 30 seconds it formated both my harddrives and installed Vista on my new harddrive (through the mobo I suppose since nor my old harddrive nor the DVD was directly connected to the new harddrive) and in 10 minutes of the clock Vista was installed. It booted directly to the desktop and didn't ask me crap about drivers nor asked to restart, in fact, everything was installed and ready to use. Sound, internet, heck, even the Nvidia drivers. It also boots in 13 seconds, something XP just doesn't do.

But I'll admit Vista was a pain in the **** with my old single processor 1gb of DDR2 ram 667. It was slow, painful and the games took ages to even load. However, if you have your system up to date it's the best alternative, at least from my humble noob opinion.

franpa
24 Jun 2008, 02:56
I connected my DVD burner to my old harddrive
-_-"

What do you mean? I've never seen or heard of CD/DVD drives connecting to Hard Drives ^o.O^

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 08:17
-_-"

What do you mean? I've never seen or heard of CD/DVD drives connecting to Hard Drives ^o.O^

The ATA cable goes from the motherboard to the harddrive to the DVD.

franpa
24 Jun 2008, 08:29
Use the old ribbon cable or just connect the CD drive to it while the hard drive is connected via Sata? Why would you buy a new hard drive then not use it?

MrBunsy
24 Jun 2008, 08:51
Loads faster? oO
Just a couple of hours ago, my new computer arrived, and I was dumb enough to get a harddrive that wasn't compatible with my DVD burner, so I had to put my old harddrive onto the motherboard with XP installed. It took XP ages of restarting itself to find out all the drivers for the new stuff and half the **** wouldn't work.

I think you'll probably find switching a hard disc with Vista on it to another set of hardware will cause equal chaos :p

But as to vista being so quick to start up; I'm intrigued. Does it still boot in 13 seconds, though? After installing everything you're going to use, because XP also boots up in a matter of seconds on a clean install.

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 08:54
Use the old ribbon cable or just connect the CD drive to it while the hard drive is connected via Sata? Why would you buy a new hard drive then not use it?

I don't have the SATA cable. I connected the CD to the old harddrive and the old harddrive to the IDE1 via ATA on the motehboard. Somehow (I ignore how), Vista allowed me to install the OS on the NEW harddrive which was connected to the mobo via one of the new fancy thin cables.
When I booted XP from the old harddrive I didn't even have access to the new harddrive.

MrBunsy: I haven't installed too much on it yet, just a few games I wanted to try and some minor stuff, roughly 30GB. Yes, it boots up incredibly fast (but then again, I assume XP would boot just as fast). I keep my boot processes at a minimun though, most of the time I boot with none. Another thing is that XP listed 500mb less ram than I actually had.

(I've been speaking of SP1 all this time, ftr)

CyberShadow
24 Jun 2008, 10:24
Another thing is that XP listed 500mb less ram than I actually had.
Your XP is the 32-bit version and Vista is the 64-bit version?

yakuza
24 Jun 2008, 10:32
Your XP is the 32-bit version and Vista is the 64-bit version?

Yes, silly me :eek:

Rioter
24 Jun 2008, 13:10
Yes, silly me :eek:
Yes....

back on topic........ still awaiting answers (minus speculation)

CyberShadow
24 Jun 2008, 13:22
To tell the truth, I'm not completely sure there is nothing we can do about this. That's because I don't know enough about the problem, nor can I reproduce it - as I don't have access to the respective hardware. There might be a small possibility that a tweak in W:A could make it work with Intel's Vista drivers.

Muzer
24 Jun 2008, 17:38
what IS the problem?
AFAIK, it's that the Intel drivers for Vista do not properly support Direct Draw, an old technology that is paramount for the correct running of many old games, including W:A.

balver
24 Jun 2008, 21:58
AFAIK, it's that the Intel drivers for Vista do not properly support Direct Draw, an old technology that is paramount for the correct running of many old games, including W:A.

Then Deadcode & CyberShadow could rewrite game graphics engine for SDL :) (just dreaming).