PDA

View Full Version : feature requests & possible bug

balver
7 Jun 2008, 10:17
1. I think it could be nice, if Deadcode added support for directories in scheme selection (like in maps selection). I think it could be useful for keeping schemes created for WormKit (eg. wkRubberWorm) seperate from "classic" W:A schemes. Of course there could be possibility to group schemes in any other way.

2. I have an idea for a new weapon. Sand of time from Prince of Persia :). I don't know how it could be implemented, but maybe in 4.0 in 2020 ;). And it could be rather useless without "Using weapon doesn't end turn" option in scheme configuration.

3. I think there is a bug when the match ends when you play at WormNet. If the possible winner (not me) set custom fanfare which I haven't the game crashes at the moment when fanfare should be played. I see game summary for a little moment and then crash, and I'm back in Windows.

bonz
7 Jun 2008, 10:48
1. I think it could be nice, if Deadcode added support for directories in scheme selection (like in maps selection). I think it could be useful for keeping schemes created for WormKit (eg. wkRubberWorm) seperate from "classic" W:A schemes. Of course there could be possibility to group schemes in any other way.
Already implemented in the latest alpha versions.
Works same as with the map subfolders.
2. I have an idea for a new weapon. Sand of time from Prince of Persia :). I don't know how it could be implemented, but maybe in 4.0 in 2020 ;). And it could be rather useless without "Using weapon doesn't end turn" option in scheme configuration.
Old idea.
Check Run's Worms Unlimited (http://worms2d.info/Worms_Unlimited), a compilation of ideas.
3. I think there is a bug when the match ends when you play at WormNet. If the possible winner (not me) set custom fanfare which I haven't the game crashes at the moment when fanfare should be played. I see game summary for a little moment and then crash, and I'm back in Windows.
Oh, that's a new one for me.

balver
7 Jun 2008, 12:21
Already implemented in the latest alpha versions.
Works same as with the map subfolders.
You mean not public, newer than 3.6.28.0?

Old idea.
Check Run's Worms Unlimited (http://worms2d.info/Worms_Unlimited), a compilation of ideas.
I should have checked, sorry.

>>> edit <<<
I checked Weapons (Worms Unlimited) (http://worms2d.info/Weapons_%28Worms_Unlimited%29) article under Transport header and no weapon had possibility to turn back the time in case of bad move or falling. This is how I understand "Sand of time" from Prince of Persia. Maybe idea is old and was mentioned on this forums or maybe I just couldn't find it's description at CyberShadow's wiki.
>>> end of edit <<<

>>> second edit <<<
I must be blind. This weapon similiar: History Eraser (http://worms2d.info/History_Eraser). But not exactly as Sand of time (where you could continue turn after reversing time, but let's say not increasing back turn time limit).
>>> end of edit <<<

Oh, that's a new one for me.
Reason for this bug is a guess, but may be a good one. It crashes very often at this particular moment. Especially when I play with Russians (but I'm not considering nationality as reason for this bug :)).

CyberShadow
7 Jun 2008, 14:42
I see game summary for a little moment and then crash, and I'm back in Windows.
Do you get an error log? If you do, please compress and upload it.

balver
7 Jun 2008, 14:51
Do you get an error log? If you do, please compress and upload it.

I'll try to get one. Today no crashes :)

Edit:
BTW. I just found another bug regarding test stuff. See replay in attachment. Game couldn't end because of strange jetpack glitch.

franpa
7 Jun 2008, 15:20
Jetpack is known, as are pretty much every bug in Teststuff mode.

balver
7 Jun 2008, 22:18
I'll try to get one.

OK, I managed easy way to reproduce the crash, so there are even 2 crash logs with replays. Hope it will give enough information to solve the problem.

BTW. Why this forum doesn't support 7z archives as attachments?

CyberShadow
8 Jun 2008, 23:13
Please try running W:A (3.6.28.0) with the attached WormKit module.

You should get a crash like before, but the error address (in the 2nd line of ERRORLOG.TXT) should be different (not 004042C6). Upload that error log.

If the address stays the same, please try running W:A with this WormKit module (additional to the one attached in the post), and upload any EXC_????.DMP files you may find in your W:A folder after a crash: 30849

balver
9 Jun 2008, 18:46
Please try running W:A (3.6.28.0) with the attached WormKit module.
For some reason with this module (wkDebugFanfareCrash) game does not even appear. There is however WA.exe process in Task Manager so I know it started. The only way to close it is killing the process.

[...] please try running W:A with this WormKit module (additional to the one attached in the post), and upload any EXC_????.DMP files you may find in your W:A folder after a crash: 30849
No problems with this module.

FYI, I loaded 1 WormKit module at once.

CyberShadow
9 Jun 2008, 20:22
That's not very helpful... let's try and see why does the game hang with wkDebugFanfareCrash. Run W:A with wkDebugFanfareCrash and the attached module, wait 30 seconds for WA.exe to disappear from the process list, then upload FREEZE.DMP from W:A's folder. If nothing happens after 30 seconds, let me know.

balver
9 Jun 2008, 20:51
That's not very helpful... let's try and see why does the game hang with wkDebugFanfareCrash. Run W:A with wkDebugFanfareCrash and the attached module, wait 30 seconds for WA.exe to disappear from the process list, then upload FREEZE.DMP from W:A's folder. If nothing happens after 30 seconds, let me know.

Sorry to say, buy wkMinidumpAfter30Seconds doesn't work at all. I can see wa.exe in Task Manager even now (about 3 minutes after launch). CPU Load is at 0, Memory use at 3068K and nothing changes.

Edit:
I deleted wkDebugFanfareCrash and ran W:A only with wkMinidumpAfter30Seconds. Then I realized, that it needs to access function MiniDumpWriteDump_ in c:\windows\system32\dbghelp.dll. But when I checked dbghelp.dll functions, there is only MiniDumpWriteDump (without underscore). I don't know if that has any meaning, but I wanted you to know.

CyberShadow
9 Jun 2008, 21:34
Are you running W:A+WormKit from an administrator account? The debugging modules may require admin priviledges to function correctly.

Would you consider a remote desktop session to allow me to fix the problem directly, e.g. using CrossLoop (http://www.crossloop.com/)?

balver
9 Jun 2008, 21:55
Are you running W:A+WormKit from an administrator account? The debugging modules may require admin priviledges to function correctly.

Yes, my account is in Administrators group.

Would you consider a remote desktop session to allow me to fix the problem directly, e.g. using CrossLoop (http://www.crossloop.com/)?

I'd rather wouldn't. I like my privacy.

Meanwhile, I found reason for those crashes. And it's really stupid. "Fanfare crash" is rather not W:A bug, the bug is me :). This doesn't however solve problem with WormKit modules. Straight to the point:

People! If you ever create custom W:A CD image - don't ever, I repeat EVER, rename any fanfare names, any flag names, any grave names. I know, their names are ugly, but for a moment you cannot do anything about it. This can lead to crashes at WormNET, described in this topic. You have been warned.

Edit:
I did it long time ago, long time before I started playing at WormNET. So it worked for me. Nice names, some localized in Polish, etc. BTW: Could Deadcode add some files (ie. XML) with localized names for every file (like Fanfares, Speeches, Flags)? This could help localizing game without interfering with core game files. Or at least provide in-game support for such files, that players could use for custom localizing. It could be done only client-side, and not affectin WormNET at all.

CyberShadow
9 Jun 2008, 21:58
Glad to know you found the solution to your problem :) I'll take a look at preventing crashes in such circumstances anyway.

balver
9 Jun 2008, 22:13
Glad to know you found the solution to your problem :) I'll take a look at preventing crashes in such circumstances anyway.

And what about things I mentioned when I edited my previous post? (I did it after you answered.)

CyberShadow
9 Jun 2008, 22:29
Your idea has the side effect that it may become hard to communicate the name of a flag/grave/soundbank if two players have W:A set to different languages.

balver
9 Jun 2008, 23:13
Your idea has the side effect that it may become hard to communicate the name of a flag/grave/soundbank if two players have W:A set to different languages.

I meant that game communication could be based on file/directory names (like it works now, I think) and XML could be used as something like translation layer for different users. Example XML code:

English translation (maybe not as nessessary, but it's not a point):

<?xml encoding="utf-8">
<language code="us">
<fanfares>
<fanfare filename="Poland.wav" displayname="Polish Anthem">
</fanfares>

Polish translation:

<?xml encoding="utf-8">
<language code="pl">
<fanfares>
<fanfare filename="Poland.wav" displayname="Hymn Polski">
</fanfares>

CyberShadow
9 Jun 2008, 23:14
I meant, in chat - e.g. when one player asks what soundbank the other is using :)

balver
9 Jun 2008, 23:37
Ah, that is always problem with localizations. Is it a problem if French player tell you that he just used "Mouton" (Sheep)? It is localized in game, so why we can't go further with localization?

For such situations there could be another feature:
When someone move mouse cursor in chat over a player, there could appear something like balloon tip/popup window with information about his team and files associated with it.
Well, if someone had more than 1 team, then it could mess up. So maybe the same popup, when someone click on team flag&health on bottom? Or "Teams Info" option in Esc menu.

CyberShadow
10 Jun 2008, 00:02
We'll consider this.