PDA

View Full Version : 2 noob questions

UsernameIs
6 Jun 2008, 22:45
Hello !
How do I moonwalk (walk backwards), and if I quit the game I hosted (and it ends in one round) does it automatically quit the others, or it continues until the end? Thanks!

Squirminator2k
6 Jun 2008, 23:19
To walk backwards, hold down shift and your worm will keep facing the direction he's in, even if you press the opposite direction.

And if you're hosting a game and you quit, the game ends for all players.

UsernameIs
7 Jun 2008, 08:39
Thanks
The game ends, but not the round. Correct ? The round is finished am I right?

MrBunsy
7 Jun 2008, 11:39
Nope, the host is the server, so everyone will just get chucked back into wormnet.

bonz
8 Jun 2008, 00:39
If the host quits or gets disconnected, everybody wins - on their machine.
(Well, except of the host if he just quit.)

Morgoth
8 Jun 2008, 11:12
this should be fixed, i mean what if the host loses from the beginning, should he stay and watch the rest fight? This should be fixed in the next patch

franpa
8 Jun 2008, 11:32
Someone needs to act as the server and Team17 don't want to pay for a server for this purpose. Making everyone act as a server like in worms 2 would require a large change afaik and would require everyone to forward ports instead of just the host..

balver
8 Jun 2008, 12:58
Someone needs to act as the server and Team17 don't want to pay for a server for this purpose. Making everyone act as a server like in worms 2 would require a large change afaik and would require everyone to forward ports instead of just the host..

It was possible in Diablo 1 (if anyone still remember). I mean if someone hosted game, then someone joined, then host quit and someone of joined people became new host.

franpa
8 Jun 2008, 13:43
well W:A has it...

Host = Server
Others = Client

All clients connect only to the server and never to each other.

Diablo must have the clients connect to each other somehow and possibly everyone requires some form of port forwarding to play if they have a router.

MrBunsy
8 Jun 2008, 15:38
Host migration, I think it's called. And it's not the sort of thing which sounds easy to add retrospectively.

balver
8 Jun 2008, 16:42
Host migration, I think it's called. And it's not the sort of thing which sounds easy to add retrospectively.

Unless Deadcode is network programming guru (let's hope, he is :D).

pokeman
10 Jun 2008, 14:45
I believe this feature is also in Warcraft III:
If the host disconnects and someone else in-game has their ports forwarded correctly, he becomes the new host.
He can be chosen at the beginning of the game, the real host attempts to establish an outward connection with each player who joins, and a queue is created based on ping and sent to each player at game start. This is the best choice.
Or at the time of disconnect, all players attempt to connect to each other. This one gets complicated if multiple clients can host, but is the only option if clients connect during the game (not WA).

I would love to see this implemented in WA, everyone's "force IP" and port must be communicated between all clients.
This could be used to resolve de-syncs too...

CyberShadow
10 Jun 2008, 15:55
Anyone notice the pattern here? All other games mentioned in this thread are from Blizzard.

Since this would probably take nothing less than a full rewrite of the network code, and the fact that this game requires perfect sync and cannot use UDP which makes things more complicated, implementing this is a very low priority.