PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with XP and Fiddler 4.01

jimmy_c
24 May 2008, 05:08
Hi Guys

I'm running the UK/ Europe version of Worms Armageddon on an XP box. I had previously installed the V3.0 patch and latest beta version and had played happily for a few days without any trouble, and then I remembered The Fiddler.

I completely uninstalled the application and deleted all of the directories, to start fresh with these instructions: http://worms2d.info/The_Fiddler

I've followed the instructions to the letter; however, when I attempted
'Running the Fiddler' step 1 (i.e. run '30.exe') I get a windows pop-up box titled 'Cannot Find File', with the contents 'c:\Team17\Worms Armageddon\30.icd'. This is followed by the 'no CD' message.

WA.icd is of course present in that directory, so I tried taking a copy of that file and renaming it '30.icd'.

Running 30.exe now produces a different windows error 'Worms Armageddon has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' Accompanied by the option to 'send error report' or 'don't send' to Microsoft.

I've tried this procedure 3 times to eliminate any possible stupid user errors during the installation process an still the problem persists. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bonz
24 May 2008, 12:47
Strange.
I do not have any *.icd files in my WA installation folder or on the CD.
And I have a Greenpepper budget re-release, which is the EU version too.
CD:\Data\Resource\version.txt says:
V3.00E
27-4-99

All I can think of is whether you have the correct path in your Fiddler.reg or whether you have run the Silkworm patch correctly.
For the latter you could open a Command Prompt window (Start>Run>cmd.exe) and see whether you get the message
Silkworm v3.75 patch by Deadcode <qubit@inorbit.com>
Patched "DXMfc.dll"
upon executing Silkworm_patch.exe.

Muzer
24 May 2008, 12:52
bonz: Same, no *.icd. Where did you buy your game, and what other logos other than team17 are on the box?

franpa
24 May 2008, 13:52
I got the original european disc and it is located here M:\Install\Install

WA.EXE
WA.ICD

CyberShadow
24 May 2008, 22:32
The original European CDs came with some old copy-protection system. The .exe contained the copy-protection code, while the .icd was the main W:A executable, which won't run by itself.

If you installed the 3.0 update, you should ignore the .icd - it contains the old 1.0 code.

jimmy_c
25 May 2008, 12:47
For the latter you could open a Command Prompt window (Start>Run>cmd.exe) and see whether you get the message

code :: Silkworm v3.75 patch by Deadcode <qubit@inorbit.com>
Patched "DXMfc.dll"

upon executing Silkworm_patch.exe.

I re-ran the patch from the command line as described above and the message returned exactly as you said. I've re-tried running from '30.exe' and it still crashes.

The .icd file is a remnant of the Macrovision SafeDisc copy protection on the original release (purchased in Australia).

I've opened up the Fiddler.reg file and it includes the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD\Worms Armageddon]
"WA30"="c:\\team17\\Worms Armageddon"

bonz
25 May 2008, 19:05
Well, is C:\Team17\Worms Armageddon the directory you installed your game in?

jimmy_c
26 May 2008, 01:26
If you installed the 3.0 update, you should ignore the .icd - it contains the old 1.0 code.
That's why it's a little bizarre that it's looking for 30.icd.

is C:\Team17\Worms Armageddon the directory you installed your game in?

Yeppers.

Has anyone else with the original UK/ Europe release of the game been able to get the Fiddler working in XP?