PDA

View Full Version : Cannot host games, please help.

Fechmar
19 May 2008, 22:38
Before you tell me to RTFS I just want to tell you that I have, many times actually, and still cannot host. I have tried absolutely everything and now come here as a last resort so hopefully can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have a D-link router, btw. These are the ports I opened:

Both UDP/TCP, Schedual always. I double checked the Private IP in the CMD prompt to make sure that was right (192.168...).

I also have them allowed in the Applications tab, and the Firewall tab.

I have made worms an exception in Windows firewall

I have made worms an exception in McAfee's firewall

I went to whatismyip.org and copied that ip into the configuration tab on wormnet and checked the force ip box.

I can host other types of games on my computer over a LAN (like diablo 2 for example).

I can host games on XBL

What could I possibly be missing, or what seems to be the problem here. I really want to host on wormnet because no one hosts the games I like. Is there any way to check to see if the ports are really actually open? I mean they are listed there, but how do I know for sure? Please help, thanks.

franpa
20 May 2008, 03:24
you don't need to force your IP with the latest beta in 98% of the cases.

Muzer
20 May 2008, 07:24
You also only need 17011, anything telling you otherwise is a lie

CyberShadow
20 May 2008, 15:02
You can check if a port is correctly forwarded by hosting a game, minimizing and checking the forward using http://www.canyouseeme.org/ .

One of the more common mistakes of forwarding ports is having DHCP enabled. Check if that's on ("Obtain an IP address automatically") in your computer's network settings.

Fechmar
20 May 2008, 17:49
I tried that website and hosted a game, but still port 17011 couldn't be seen (Reason: Connection timed out)

I tried disabling the DHCP Server, but still nothing.

Muzer
20 May 2008, 18:34
OK, so you've disabled DHCP, and given your PC a static IP. Now, is the port forwarded to the static IP you have now given your PC?

Fechmar
20 May 2008, 18:40
I have had this static ip for a long time now, It has always been the same. And yes, I forwarded the ports to this ip.

CyberShadow
20 May 2008, 19:37
Please make sure you understand the difference between a local IP and an external IP. An external static IP is quite different to a local static IP. You need to have a local static IP (DHCP on your computer must be turned off). The ports should be forwarded to your local static IP. Don't use "Force IP address" in W:A network settings.

Fechmar
20 May 2008, 20:08
Yes, I forwarded the ports to my Computers ip (the ip adress in ipconfig).

CyberShadow
20 May 2008, 23:38
I don't know what's the problem then. Try temporarily completely disabling your software firewalls, and add your computer's IP to the "De-Militarized Zone (DMZ)" to your router if it supports something like that. You could also try posting screenshots of your router port forwarding configuration page and your computer's network setting, in case there's something wrong with those.

Fechmar
21 May 2008, 00:01
I have an idea that might be keeping me from opening ports on my router. If you even been to grc.com and ran a shieldsUP test, you can see what ports and open, close, or stealthed. It appears all my ports are stealthed, no matter what I do. I'm not sure what is stealthing them (I have my firewalls turned off btw). I don't really know what else I can do at this point.

CyberShadow
21 May 2008, 02:58
It's possible your ISP is blocking them, or you have a double-NAT configuration. Contact your ISP.

Fechmar
22 May 2008, 19:53
I contacted my isp, and they are not blocking them. They told me to run netstat -an in a command prompt and see if the port is listed there. So I hosted a game, and did that, and it is there. But still people aren't joining.

franpa
23 May 2008, 03:02
did you enter the right details for the DNS settings? (found where you make your local IP static.) you usually find them on your ISP's forums or website and you should look them up before making your local IP static.

Fechmar
23 May 2008, 03:31
Yes, right DNS info... It's ok though, I have given up. I have done every little thing to host, but nothing has worked. I just accepted the fact that it has to be something on my system that is not letting me open or forward any ports and I have no clue what it is. I have contacted my ISP, they are blocking no ports and my modem and connection are fine. I have contacted my Router company and the ports are forwarded correctly to the right ip address. The only thing left is my firewall and I have turned that off and even allowed access to worms and the ports. I have connected my computer right to a modem to bypass the router and I still cannot host. I guess I will forever be joining games until I get a new computer or find out what demon is in my computer preventing me from opening any port.

franpa
23 May 2008, 05:00
Try setting your router to DMZ? i dont know...

CyberShadow
23 May 2008, 06:03
Meanwhile you could also try using HostingBuddy (http://worms2d.info/HostingBuddy) - it's still not very stable but works when it works.

Muzer
23 May 2008, 07:28
The only thing left is my firewall and I have turned that off and even allowed access to worms and the ports
Are you sure you don't have any other firewalls? IF you do have all of them disabled, windows will give a little error in a bubble pointing from the status bar on startup.

Fechmar
23 May 2008, 16:55
Franpa, Yes I have put my computer in the DMZ, still no luck.

CyberShadow, I tried HB once, but the game instantly disconnected when we first got into the match. I also find HB to be too unstable, you never know when it is going to disconnect at any given time.

Muzer, The only firewalls that are on my computer are Windows firewall, and McAfee's firewall. When I disable McAfee I do get a message saying my computer is not fully protected. But set aside, I still have allowed full access to worms, and open the ports as well in McAfee, so it shouldn't really matter if it is on or off. As for Windows firewall that is turned off and also granted access to worms and the ports. But I dont get any message on startup saying windows firewall is turned off. It just says it isoff in the settings in the control panel.

HxBxB
25 May 2008, 15:11
i am having the exact same problem I CANT HOST !!!!!!!!!!!!! its bloody annoying