PDA

View Full Version : Freezing on minimizing

djtek05
7 May 2008, 15:54
Hi,

I'm having an issue that I haven't been able to resolve via Google or this forum's search function, so I thought I'd post it up for you guys to chew on.

Basically what's happening is every time I play a game online and either a) Manually minimize the game using Esc > Minimize Game or b) an IM window appears and WA minimizes automatically, whenever I go to click back to WA, the process locks up and I have to manually kill it.

Now for some system specs:

Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon x2 4200+
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
2 GB RAM

Now, to rule out some responses I'm sure will come up:

1) It's not my CPU or video card temps...I have programs which monitor both and they are within normal ranges during play.

2) It's not due to excess load on my processor...I have another program constantly monitoring this as well and usage never jumps above 40%.

3) I have patched WA to the latest version.

Any other suggestions? :D

bonz
7 May 2008, 23:11
You should disable all "pop-up" and "always on top" features in your IM and other programs to avoid stealing of focus.

For me the Esc > Minimize feature works quite fine. The game occasionally crashes if I leave it minimized for too long (>10min) and do something else in Windows.
I suspect the Miranda IM IRQ window to be the culprit, but I can easily avoid it by just not staying minimized too long.

I suppose with the latest version you mean v3.6.28.0. (You can verify that by hovering the mouse cursor over the WA logo on the main menu.)

djtek05
8 May 2008, 02:11
Well...I could if I had to I suppose, but I was really hoping for a fix to this instead of a workaround. I don't use Miranda IM, but I'm sure some of the code for the IM client I use (Digsby) is quite similar.

And yes, I double-checked and the version number is 3.6.28.0.

CyberShadow
8 May 2008, 06:28
Fixing this is non-trivial and is related to how window focus in Windows works and the way W:A's front-end works.