PDA

View Full Version : Emulating Worms Armageddon

CyberShadow
1 May 2008, 04:00
The Worms Knowledge Base (http://worms2d.info/) has three new guides on setting up W:A in a virtual machine.

The guides can be found here:
http://worms2d.info/Emulating_Worms_Armageddon

You might find these useful if you:

need to run W:A on an unsupported platform or operating system (Linux or Mac OS X)
experience hardware compatibility problems, e.g. Intel video chipsets on Windows Vista
absolutely need to run W:A in a window

Please leave feedback here or on the talk pages.

lookias
1 May 2008, 11:25
if someone tries wine he will be surprised how good it works. so i am. but i mentioned that playing with the cd in drive (that must be if u dont know how to mount an iso) is really unconvenient.
mounting a cd iso, in some cases, on wine is a bit tricky and i dont think a wine newbie can get it without help.

let me explain it:

u easily mount the iso file with: mount -o loop /.../wa.iso /.../WA (names might differ)
then u go to winecfg and u set this folder (/.../WA) now to be a cd for wine. just select the folder to be a drive then change from automatic to cd drive.
assuming ur WA drive is now known for wine as d: (winecfg tells u the letter)
then u need a symlink from ur iso file into ur dosdevices folder in wine, this symlink must have the name d::
it looks like this:
ln -s /.../wa.iso /home/user/.wine/dosdevices/d:: (where user is urself)
so wine uses this symbolic link to get information from the cd.

and now u dont need the cd anymore. for me only wine 0.9.44 is working good, with a patched version of wine and opensue running.

i guess this looks like masochism for all windows user. but changing to a linux system is not a mistake, it looks better then windows its much faster then windows and its much more stable then windows and wa runs windowed. even wwp does and that makes any efforts for having a snooper useless but theres still a problem with wwp wormnet (for me :( ).

why do i write this?
because i had to talk to madewokherd (the guy who supports wa to run on wine, he can be found on #worms) how to play with a mounted iso of my wa cd, like i allways done in windows, getting this alone was not possible for me.

greetz looki