PDA

View Full Version : 'Fatal Error During Gameserver Connection'

chipping
23 Apr 2008, 16:10
Hello everyone,
I was not able to join WNet games due to lack of updates, so I just got the new patch.
However having installed it, a FATAL ERROR message now comes up when i try to connect to WNet (UK1 and Autologin)
I have read through the FAQs but nothing i do seems to help :( - any suggestions? :)

Many thanks in advance

chipping
23 Apr 2008, 16:49
p.s. when i test network it says could not detect IPX and Proxy disabled.

dont know what either of those things are but it might help someone who knows what theyre talking about.

thanks.

Muzer
23 Apr 2008, 18:33
That's supposed to happen, the IPX and Proxy thing. Proxy servers don't tend to be needed unless you know you need one, and IPX was an old, failure of a competitor to TCP/IP. You can still change between the two, but IPX isn't very good, and is disabled on most computers. So that bit shouldn't affect it.

This short test should determine your problem, it works on Win9x, Win2K and XP, with vista you need to do some steps to enable telnet which I can't remember, google it. Anyway:
Try going to start --> run and typing command and clicking OK (if you use Vista, first find out how to enable telnet, then instead of clicking run type cmd into the search box and hit enter). When the command prompt loads, type:

telnet wormnet1.team17.com 6667

This will either produce a blank screen w/ flashing cursor or an error message. Post the result here. Now, close the command prompt and reopen it (as before), but this time type:

telnet wormnet1.team17.com 80

Again, the result will either be a blank screen or an error. Post back with the results.

chipping
24 Apr 2008, 20:11
Hi Muzer thanks for your help.

I did that and for both commands entered it says:

connecting to wormnet1.team17.com.... Could not open connection to the host, on port (6667 and 80): Connect failed

Does that help??? :confused:

Muzer
25 Apr 2008, 07:06
It could mean that someone, probably your network administrator (especially if at work, university or school) is blocking those ports. You will have to ask your network admin to unblock them for you. If you are at home, you could try disabling firewalls if you have one that is strict, and having a look on your router's configuration page (ususally 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1, type into the address bar of a web browser) if you can find anything about blocked ports.

franpa
25 Apr 2008, 10:24
If you are at home, you could try disabling firewalls if you have one that is strict

You should NEVER disable your firewall while connected to the internet. Instead you should configure your firewall to allow W:A access.

CyberShadow
25 Apr 2008, 13:01
If you can't connect to the 80th port, this is most likely a problem with the ISP, not the local network. Port 80 is used for web and all websites, so if it was completely blocked, chipping wouldn't be able to browse the web, including this forum.

chipping: please contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and tell them that you cannot reach the website at http://wormnet1.team17.com/ . If you open that link in your web browser, you should get "Forbidden" / "You don't have permission to access / on this server.", but based on your telnet results, you should get a timeout or connection error.

You should NEVER disable your firewall while connected to the internet. Instead you should configure your firewall to allow W:A access.
This is not true. A correctly configured and updated system is at a very low risk of being compromised without a firewall. Not having a configured firewall would allow someone scanning your computer to find things like your username, and if you have File and Print Sharing configured, access your network shares (this can happen if the computer exposed to the Internet is also the gateway for an internal network).

bonz
25 Apr 2008, 14:14
I haven't been using any software firewalls for several years now.

First I was on uni campus LAN which was fairly safe and I was quickly annoyed by the constant prompts of software firewalls.
The last 1.5 years I've been using a router.

An up-to-date anti-virus scanner and the occasional manual spyware scan have done the trick for me so far.

Muzer
25 Apr 2008, 19:09
Same, bonz (apart from the Uni campus bit, my home router just has inbuilt Firewall for things like DoS, and I don't have any ports forwarded apart from 17011 and that's to a Linux box, and it's unlikely that a hacker would know my IP address and that information).

franpa
26 Apr 2008, 04:01
You forward port 17011 and play a game where it is easy to get your ip and you think it is hard for a hacker to get your ip? o_O

CyberShadow
26 Apr 2008, 16:24
Targetted attacks and generic Internet chaos are different things...

chipping
26 Apr 2008, 16:38
Hi
thanks for all the help.
Im just connected through my personal wireless home network through a SKY router, none of those 192.168... addresses give me anything, but you're right when i type in

wormnet1.team17.com

in the internet bar it says:

HTTP 403 FORBIDDEN

The Website Declined to show this Webpage

Most likely causes:
This website requires you to log in.

Any suggestions?? :)

Muzer
26 Apr 2008, 20:41
Have you tried the telnet instructions in my post above (post #3)

CyberShadow
27 Apr 2008, 20:04
chipping: your reports are contradictory - if you can't connect to wormnet1.team17.com on port 80 with telnet, you shouldn't be able to open it with your web browser either - unless you are using a proxy server to browse the web. Please confirm your results. If you are indeed using a proxy server (you can check in your web browser's settings), then you will not be able to play W:A (and most other games) from your network.

chipping
30 Apr 2008, 15:48
Cyber, my results aren't contradictory at all! Like i said in my last post, when i type in worment1. etc into IE i get the Forbidden-Error message.

Muzer i tried your telnet suggestion in post 3 and replied to it with results 2 or 3 posts after.

Any other thoughts? Many thanks.

CyberShadow
30 Apr 2008, 18:16
Your "Forbidden-Error" is normal, it indicates that you can access the website. If there was a network error, you'd get a connection error like with telnet.

Please check if you use a proxy server to access the web.

pvl_ru
20 Feb 2009, 00:15
Hello everyone,
I was not able to join WNet games due to lack of updates, so I just got the new patch.
However having installed it, a FATAL ERROR message now comes up when i try to connect to WNet (UK1 and Autologin)
I have read through the FAQs but nothing i do seems to help :( - any suggestions? :)

Many thanks in advance
I have the same exact problem, someone please help.

All my firewalls are ok, I checked.

The ports are open, I checked.

The internet is working, I checked.

What's the problem?

Ultimatix
10 Aug 2009, 20:48
Hi there,

I have played 2 weeks WA without any Wormnet Problems. But since today i become a Fatal error during gameserver connection message too WITHOUT a reason. i have the newest version of WA.

Why does this happens suddenly ?

Explorer
15 Aug 2009, 02:57
Hi there,

I have played 2 weeks WA without any Wormnet Problems. But since today i become a Fatal error during gameserver connection message too WITHOUT a reason. i have the newest version of WA.

Why does this happens suddenly ?

It seems that you were connecting to WormNET during its outage. Weren't you?
(See this sticky thread (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39265))