PDA

View Full Version : Gammer Correction?

Ringo
9 Apr 2008, 18:05
How do I adjust the gammer correction/brightness?
Im tired of playing in the dark on dark maps (like 70% of all textures) :(

And how to I enable the sper super wepons, like nukes, armageddon's etc, I just see settings for the normal super wepons like granny/mole/flying sheep etc.

Thanks in advance.

Devoluti0n
9 Apr 2008, 19:47
You can change your screen settings trough your driver interface.
There are no options in the game to do that.

About super weapon, you need to unlock them, or you can aswell use schemes which contain thoses super weapons.
You can also unlock them using a program called Teamed which will unlock this stuff.

Bye.

Ringo
10 Apr 2008, 01:05
ah ok, thanks for the info.
Aside, I dont think changing my monitor brightness effects directX rendering, altho I did try it, but didnt notice any change :(

Does anyone know the format for the .img files (like \DATA\Level\-Farm\.TEXT.IMG etc)?
I was thinking I could write a quick program to brighten up each texture file, so they render brighter than they otherwise would.
Just wundering, are they compressed? if so, what compression? zlib?
I notice each text.img file is differnt sizes, so im guessing some compression is used, as they are rather small as well.

Anyone know about this?
It would save me some hours trying to reverse the loader code in IDA :*(

Thanks in advance

Muzer
10 Apr 2008, 08:08
Well, the main sprites are stored in a file somewhere called gfx.dir . You can use the sprite editor to decompress it, find it somewhere at www.worms2d.info

Bawb
10 Apr 2008, 13:24
Surely there's an easier solution than modifying every single one of your textures?

franpa
10 Apr 2008, 13:33
nvidia driver control panel -> Adjust Colours -> gamma.

Ringo
10 Apr 2008, 15:53
Well, the main sprites are stored in a file somewhere called gfx.dir . You can use the sprite editor to decompress it, find it somewhere at www.worms2d.info

Thanks, but the animations are fine, its just the darker textures that I have trubble seeing.
Also I dont trust public/3rd party software when im able to write my own.

Surely there's an easier solution than modifying every single one of your textures?

Yeah, code a little program to do it in a few milliseconds :)

nvidia driver control panel -> Adjust Colours -> gamma.

Tryed that, but as said above, makes no differnce to full screen DX apps (or any dx apps come to think of it) :(

I had a little look at the texture files today, And I think they all index to a pallet (.pal file)
So if I can find the correct pallet file I can just raise the RGB values up by 25-50% or so.
Anyone have any idea what .pal file is used for the TEXT.IMG files?

CyberShadow
10 Apr 2008, 16:24
If you want to hack your way, I suggest hooking the DirectDraw interfaces and override the palette as it is being set by the game.

Etho.
10 Apr 2008, 16:42
You are on a wild goose chase. The TEXT.IMG files are just tiny texture previews for each theme in the frontend's map editor. What you are looking for are the Level.dir files stored on the CD. There are 2 Level.dir files for each theme, and each one of these contains several IMG files. (soil, back soil, grass, gradient, debris, land objects, land girders, theme background, etc.)

Each IMG file contains a short header, a palette (3 bytes each color (BGR instead of RGB)), and the image data (flipped). All in all, it's possible to make a program to edit the files, but it would be a bit of a pain to do.

Might I suggest getting a new monitor or tweaking your current one?

bonz
10 Apr 2008, 17:45
Do you have such brightness problems in other games/applications too?
Might be a problem with your connection cable or the connectors of the monitor and/or graphic card.

Ringo
10 Apr 2008, 18:00
If you want to hack your way, I suggest hooking the DirectDraw interfaces and override the palette as it is being set by the game.

Sounds like a really messy way to adjust the brightness :p

You are on a wild goose chase. The TEXT.IMG files are just tiny texture previews for each theme in the frontend's map editor. What you are looking for are the Level.dir files stored on the CD. There are 2 Level.dir files for each theme, and each one of these contains several IMG files. (soil, back soil, grass, gradient, debris, land objects, land girders, theme background, etc.)

Each IMG file contains a short header, a palette (3 bytes each color (BGR instead of RGB)), and the image data (flipped). All in all, it's possible to make a program to edit the files, but it would be a bit of a pain to do.

Might I suggest getting a new monitor or tweaking your current one?

Thx, I was hoping the pallet would be saved to HD, but if its on the CD, that makes it more hastle than its worth.
Im not buying new hardware, becuase of a software issue -- all other PC games I have ever played have had gammer correction options, and those that dont, have not been an issue.
With WA, I also have problems seeing text, like chat, captions of buttons etc.
Mainly just dark gray vs black text and graphics :/

I guess I will have to stick to the textures that are not dark gray, if I can be botherd to play anymore.

Thanks for the replys all

KRD
10 Apr 2008, 21:03
Oh no you won't. The game looks good for everyone else. It's not a software issue. :mad:

Ringo
10 Apr 2008, 21:46
Oh no you won't. The game looks good for everyone else. It's not a software issue. :mad:

Sure it is, the game doesnt have gammer options, and not having this option causes me issues, if it had gammer options, it would not be an issue.
As the game is software, and its an issue with the games lack of options, its a software issue :)
Aside, I never said it was an issue for everyone else.
The game looks fine, its just annoying when I cant see the out line of the terran on dark maps. (apart from the surface grass or w/e)
Maybe there is away I can change the back ground color to somthing lighter than black?

GoDxWyvern
10 Apr 2008, 21:55
Maybe there is away I can change the back ground color to somthing lighter than black?
Ever tried hitting the insert button ingame? =)

Metal Alex
10 Apr 2008, 23:31
See a weel that says "brightness" in your monitor? roll it. If that turns it darker, roll it to the other side.

If you have a laptop, Press the Fn key, usually on the bottom left, and the look for a sun symbol on the Fx keys (usually on F7-F8), and press the one with a sun and a +.

is this solution easier?

Squirminator2k
10 Apr 2008, 23:42
Y'see, this thread is indicative of why people should not come to the Team 17 Forum for technical questions concerning Team 17 games. So far we've had some really awe-inspiring answers, including the particularly impressive "Hack the graphics file", and only two people have given actual, valid, applicable, but above all sensible solutions to this problem.

Etho.
11 Apr 2008, 00:40
I believe Ringo received excellent help with the problem he was having. All his questions were answered, including his more difficult technical questions. Besides the hackish method he wanted to try, he was given additional suggestions for other methods he might try.

In the end, his problem was not solved. This was not because we were lacking the expertise to help him with his problem, but because he needs a new monitor to fix the problem (which he doesn't want to get) and because W:A does not have gammer correction.

Ringo
11 Apr 2008, 00:47
Ever tried hitting the insert button ingame? =)

Yeah, that just toggles the back ground graphics tho, doesnt change the color :(

See a weel that says "brightness" in your monitor? roll it. If that turns it darker, roll it to the other side.

If you have a laptop, Press the Fn key, usually on the bottom left, and the look for a sun symbol on the Fx keys (usually on F7-F8), and press the one with a sun and a +.

is this solution easier?

Do you honestly think I HAVENT tryed that?

Y'see, this thread is indicative of why people should not come to the Team 17 Forum for technical questions concerning Team 17 games. So far we've had some really awe-inspiring answers, including the particularly impressive "Hack the graphics file", and only two people have given actual, valid, applicable, but above all sensible solutions to this problem.
Dude, no need your trolling, it doesnt help.
Infact, the only advise given to resolve this issue was to hook the directx rendering, which I persionaly think is the most uglyest messy way to possible brighten up graphics/background.
Are you mad because I would rather not play the game on dark maps, aposed to playing in the dark, so to speak?
Idiot.

I believe Ringo received excellent help with the problem he was having. All his questions were answered, including his more difficult technical questions. Besides the hackish method he wanted to try, he was given additional suggestions for other methods he might try.

In the end, his problem was not solved. This was not because we were lacking the expertise to help him with his problem, but because he needs a new monitor to fix the problem (which he doesn't want to get) and because W:A does not have gammer correction.

Works fine with every other game. But as said above, its way more hastle than its worth.
I tryed editing the backdrop.bmp and its microsoft pallet file, with no effect, so im going to assume they are wrote to HD just to waste space (unless they are used else where)
Aside, there is nothing wrong with my monitor, its only a few months old, works as good as the day I got it, and works fine with all other games.
This problem can not be solved with out some pain in the ass modding, which is all I was wundering about.

But thanks for the support guys.

Etho.
11 Apr 2008, 01:29
Well, it's not impossible to do the mod. I could probably write you a basic program to do it within 30 to 60 mins. However, I'm not going to bother doing it unless you want me to, because you also said:

Also I dont trust public/3rd party software when im able to write my own.

Bawb
11 Apr 2008, 02:29
How about you just stick to snow-textured maps?

:P

bonz
11 Apr 2008, 09:16
Ringo, have your tried W2 and/or WWP?
They essentially use the same engine. Try out the respective demos and see if you get the same grphics problems.

I think it's some graphic driver and/or DirectDraw issue, since you ruled out a hardware problem with your monitor or graphics card.
Try updating those or reverting to a previous version.

franpa
11 Apr 2008, 09:28
there is no Gamma option in the game since the game is based on palletes and to change the gamma you would need to change the pallete....

GoDxWyvern
11 Apr 2008, 12:54
Yeah, that just toggles the back ground graphics tho, doesnt change the color
It also changes the background colour, at least on generated maps and on all the custom ones that don't consist of too many colours. The latter is irrelevant to you though, as you're having problems with the textures. So yeah, this should get you a background colour different from black. :o

bonz
11 Apr 2008, 13:52
WA has no gamma correction.
What it's also missing, but what is more badly needed is a gamer correction. :rolleyes:

KRD
11 Apr 2008, 15:51
Grammar correction would be nice as well.