PDA

View Full Version : Unable to change resolution.

After switching the resolution on my game (it says 1024x768, etc. on the options menu) but the game is still running in default 640x480. Plus, I'd like to be able to run the game in 1680x1050 if possible... Any idea why it won't change?

MrBunsy
29 Mar 2008, 18:57
Do you mean the menus or actually in a game? The option only changes the resolution used when in a game.

Do you mean the menus or actually in a game? The option only changes the resolution used when in a game.

The resolution ingame actually stays at 640x480. Plus, when choosing the option of "Custom Resolution" I have no idea how to set the custom resolution that I want.

CyberShadow
29 Mar 2008, 20:13
There should be a drop-down box right under the "Custom resolution" button which lists all supported resolutions.

There should be a drop-down box right under the "Custom resolution" button which lists all supported resolutions.

Here's the odd thing. Nothing shows up in the drop-down box...

Nevermind. Lock this. I fixed the issue, and it was a stupid one.

canofworms
29 Mar 2008, 22:18

*shouts in the general direction of AndrewTaylor or thomasap*

Feel like telling us so we can be educated in this problem?

aghy
6 Apr 2008, 20:58

What was the problem I am having the same issues and I can't figure it out!

hundreds
7 Apr 2008, 16:40
Most problems having to do with the resolution of in game menus and during a match has to do with one major thing: Teams

If you have just installed W:A and cannot change resolution (ie. the drop down box is empty), it may be because you have no teams added yet. In fact, there are other user options that for some reason will not "take" if you havn't created a team.

Solution:

1. Open W:A.
2. Create a blank team or your personal one.
3. Save the team and CLOSE W:A.
4. Reopen W:A and select your custom resolution.

Also, I think I should add that during a match, the resolution does NOT stay at 640x480. If you choose a custom res of 1280x1024 like I do, then that is your res in-game as well.

Jay

Muzer
8 Apr 2008, 10:00
Yeah, the FrontEnd is forced 640x480; the res box affects only the game.

bonz
8 Apr 2008, 10:21
Hmm...
No custom user team does not allow the use of certain features, even features from the beta updates on a clean installation?
Strange.

Deadcode
9 Apr 2008, 03:36
Funnily enough, I spotted this bug and fixed it 7 days before this thread was created, but nevertheless didn't realize that this thread was about the same bug until reading post #9.

The function that initializes the Options menu has an "if" statement that checks if there are any Teams present. The condition of the "if" statement is reversed; if there are no Teams, the rest of the function is skipped (with a "return" statement). Originally, the rest of the function was just the part that copies the Team names into a list box if there are any.

When I made additions to the Options menu, I added them at the end of the function. Without teams, these additions (resolution and language list boxes) were being skipped by the "return" statement, leaving them inoperational.

I imagine that this simple bug went undiscovered for so long because when W:A is installed, some teams are created by default. The only way to have no teams is to delete WG.WGT (or the entire "User" folder).

Oddly this isn't the first time that I've fixed a bug, only to have that bug independently discovered shortly afterward. The same thing happened with the Cow Crash (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23102).

hundreds
9 Apr 2008, 15:26
This may be slightly off topic, but I am just getting back into W:A and am incredibly happy about all the work that Deadcode and his partner have done to it. Seriously man, you have given W:A new life and I appreciate it.

Jay