PDA

View Full Version : Looking for aid from worms veterans

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 17:12
Hi there,

I'm helping with work on a project that's somewhat related to Worms Armageddon.

I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but anyone that's a big fan of worms Armageddon should love it.

What I need, however, is some aid from members of the community with a large level of experience with the game, veteran players, people who know the community well. That sort of thing.

If you're interested in helping me out with the project, let me know, PM me or post here and give me some idea of your experience.

People that know how to use IRC are more than preferable!

Cheers

canofworms
28 Mar 2008, 17:13
Hi there,

I'm helping with work on a project that's somewhat related to Worms Armageddon.

I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but anyone that's a big fan of worms Armageddon should love it.

What I need, however, is some aid from members of the community with a large level of experience with the game, veteran players, people who know the community well. That sort of thing.

If you're interested in helping me out with the project, let me know, PM me or post here and give me some idea of your experience.

People that know how to use IRC are more than preferable!

Cheers

Maybe you should give some idea what its about...

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 17:19
I can't go into too much detail on these forums unfortunately, I'd like to, but I'm in an awkward position here. Of course people who contact me with some real interest in helping will get the full story, and I think everyone here will have a great time aiding me. The project is directly aimed at worms fans, so it's input from worms fans that's required.

So if you're bored, experienced and feel like helping out (despite the lack of information here), let me know and I'll give you more details in PM or on IRC!

Showing interest will not be making a commitment, so don't worry about that.

MrBunsy
28 Mar 2008, 17:25
The project is directly aimed at worms fans, so it's input from worms fans that's required.How come you can't tell us what it is then? :confused:

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 17:32
Things are in early alpha, and I'm not looking to broadcast things too much in case nothing comes of it. I do realize I'm asking a lot, asking for help without providing lots of info, but I guess I'm looking for people who would be interested in helping anyway, and apologies to all of you who are put off by the lack of info!

As I said, however, if you're interested, PM me and I'll provide more details, hopefully in confidence :)

canofworms
28 Mar 2008, 17:32
How come you can't tell us what it is then? :confused:

The only reason I can think is if it would be in conflict of the forums ToS

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 17:39
The only reason I can think is if it would be in conflict of the forums ToS

Would you like to point me to that ToS, and I'll tell you outright if it does or not :)

The main reason I want to keep it quiet, is the dev team and the people that know about it currently are very small, working for fun in their own time. If we broadcast it, and if it becomes popular, we get all the issues that come along with that (I'm sure you're aware what that can be like!) and that's not something we want so early on! However, I feel the project has got to a point where it would be nice to have some outside input, especially from the people who are very familiar with worms!

There's nothing more to it than that, apologies if I'm holding my cards too close to my chest, but you'll find me far more open once we talk in PM or elsewhere! :)

canofworms
28 Mar 2008, 17:44
Would you like to point me to that ToS, and I'll tell you outright if it does or not :)

The main reason I want to keep it quiet, is the dev team and the people that know about it currently are very small, working for fun in their own time. If we broadcast it, and if it becomes popular, we get all the issues that come along with that (I'm sure you're aware what that can be like!) and that's not something we want so early on!

Not had that problem with any of my project.

Now, I cant find the ToS (Spadge?), but if we were to amalgamate all the terms together, it would probably be something like:

Dont use Worms IP without permission
Dont reverse engineer/decompile/disassemble any Worms software
Dont attempt to hack/damage any Worms websites/servers etc.
And so on and so forth.

MrBunsy
28 Mar 2008, 17:46
The main reason I want to keep it quiet, is the dev team and the people that know about it currently are very small, working for fun in their own time. If we broadcast it, and if it becomes popular, we get all the issues that come along with that (I'm sure you're aware what that can be like!) and that's not something we want so early on! However, I feel the project has got to a point where it would be nice to have some outside input, especially from the people who are very familiar with worms!

Ooh, okay. That does make sense.

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 17:48
Not had that problem with any of my project.

Now, I cant find the ToS (Spadge?), but if we were to amalgamate all the terms together, it would probably be something like:

Dont use Worms IP without permission
Dont reverse engineer/decompile/disassemble any Worms software
Dont attempt to hack/damage any Worms websites/servers etc.
And so on and so forth.

Based on what you've said, it doesn't violate the ToS :)

canofworms
28 Mar 2008, 17:50
Based on what you've said, it doesn't violate the ToS :)

Oh excellent :)

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 17:52
I'm feeling pretty silly talking about this 'mysterious' project, are there any worms community IRC channels or slightly less prominent forums where I can be a little more open about things?

canofworms
28 Mar 2008, 17:54
I'm feeling pretty silly talking about this 'mysterious' project, are there any worms community IRC channels or slightly less prominent forums where I can be a little more open about things?

www.worms2d.info has everything you need.

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 18:29
Ah hell, I'm going to go ahead and post about it, see what happens.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2jaxc7b.jpg

Hedgewars is a worms-like turn based, open source, strategy game. The project was started some time ago, but has recently come a long way. I have joined the team as graphics artist and we're nearing professional quality.

If you're a worms veteran, you will find the "feel" and the gameplay follows in the footsteps of classics like worms armaggedon. It's this "feel" we're most concerned about, as we think it makes or breaks the worms games. And it's perfecting the feel that we need help with.

If you'd like to beta test the game, send me a PM and let me know!

The game already has netplay, and lots of options!

Some media:

http://i29.tinypic.com/hu3ac0.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/28thvko.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/w0hl2.png

Please note, all code, voice acting, music, graphics and so on are original!

Cheers

Melon
28 Mar 2008, 18:31
More specifically, http://worms2d.info/Worms_on_GameSurge .

As for HedgeWars, don't worry. We already know about it ;)

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 18:41
Thanks, I'm there!

MrBunsy
28 Mar 2008, 20:51
Hedgewars is a worms-like turn based, open source, strategy game. The project was started some time ago, but has recently come a long way. I have joined the team as graphics artist and we're nearing professional quality.

Well well! Funnily enough, I remember reading about hedgewars a little while ago, and one of the comments I remembered was criticising the 'programmer art' :P Looks like things have changed!

Unless you need someone who can help with PHP/JS, I don't think I can really offer any though.

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 21:06
Well well! Funnily enough, I remember reading about hedgewars a little while ago, and one of the comments I remembered was criticising the 'programmer art' :P Looks like things have changed!

Unless you need someone who can help with PHP/JS, I don't think I can really offer any though.

Oh you misunderstand me, I'm not looking for help making the game or graphics, but testing it!

Etho.
28 Mar 2008, 21:41
This looks pretty good. I really like the hedgehog character design and other artwork. I downloaded v0.9.2 from the site to check it out. It's definitely the best worms clone I've seen so far, but I can tell it needs a few significant physics changes to get the smooth worms feel.

I know quite a bit about the technical aspects of worms. I actually made an exact worms engine clone in the past, but never tried doing anything serious with it due to legal concerns. Feel free to PM me if you need information about how the game works. (walking, jumping, collisions, etc.)

MrBunsy
28 Mar 2008, 21:45
Oh you misunderstand me, I'm not looking for help making the game or graphics, but testing it!

Deary me, I am being dense today. I shall give it a whorl.

Tiyuri
28 Mar 2008, 22:42
This looks pretty good. I really like the hedgehog character design and other artwork. I downloaded v0.9.2 from the site to check it out. It's definitely the best worms clone I've seen so far, but I can tell it needs a few significant physics changes to get the smooth worms feel.

I know quite a bit about the technical aspects of worms. I actually made an exact worms engine clone in the past, but never tried doing anything serious with it due to legal concerns. Feel free to PM me if you need information about how the game works. (walking, jumping, collisions, etc.)

This could be really useful to us, we don't want to copy the game, but we do want to make it as good as it can be, are you able to join irc?

Deary me, I am being dense today. I shall give it a whorl.

If you could also jump on irc you could play with us now :) irc.gamesurge.net #gwpickup

[UFP]Ghost
28 Mar 2008, 23:25
Great game. I quite enjoy it, I like the differences. It's very similar but it isn't an exact clone which makes it very good.

robowurmz
29 Mar 2008, 14:27
I'd happily test for you. I love beta testing stuff. I also love programming, but I don't do that VERY well...

canofworms
29 Mar 2008, 20:01
I'd happily test for you. I love beta testing stuff. I also love programming, but I don't do that VERY well...

*hands robowurmz a copy of Visual C# 2005 - Build a program NOW!*

Tiyuri
29 Mar 2008, 22:16

Jump on irc and we can sort something out! :)

I've been messing around with WA custom map implementation in hedgewars, check it out:

http://i31.tinypic.com/63zib8.png

[UFP]Ghost
30 Mar 2008, 03:00
Jump on irc and we can sort something out! :)

I've been messing around with WA custom map implementation in hedgewars, check it out:

http://i31.tinypic.com/63zib8.png

very nice job.

Muzer
30 Mar 2008, 08:50
I'll test! I love tesing, I beta tested the W4M online demo and OVG (the latter was a program released before the latest update that enabled battyropes and teststuff. I still have one of only a few wormnet enabled copies ever shared with others.). However, at the moment our internet is down and I have to use my mobile, and at half the speed of dialup I can't really IRC. You could drop me a PM with a link, or if you want I'll PM you with my e-mail address and you can send it, either way is good with me.

canofworms
30 Mar 2008, 10:02
I'll test! I love tesing, I beta tested the W4M online demo and OVG (the latter was a program released before the latest update that enabled battyropes and teststuff. I still have one of only a few wormnet enabled copies ever shared with others.). However, at the moment our internet is down and I have to use my mobile, and at half the speed of dialup I can't really IRC. You could drop me a PM with a link, or if you want I'll PM you with my e-mail address and you can send it, either way is good with me.

You got OVG? Lucky :(

Dario
30 Mar 2008, 14:09
Nice artwork, looks really proffesional.
If you can use the help of someone who knows a lot of details about worms and is really anoying because he is constantly paying attention to small details you can count on me.
Have you heard of wormux?, it's free source...

robowurmz
30 Mar 2008, 22:14
I use C# 2008. I used to use 2005, but I decided to get upgrade. I also use C++ 2008, and just plain old C++, without libraries.

Patrick_
30 Mar 2008, 23:09
Why another Worms clone? This is almost an exact copy... yet W:A can't be touched. I don't feel we need another, unless it can really top W:A.

The fact that it's written in Pascal may be a hindrance to those wanting to help develop, as well.

Otherwise, kudos to the developers for making a good start. :)

canofworms
31 Mar 2008, 07:08
Why another Worms clone? This is almost an exact copy... yet W:A can't be touched. I don't feel we need another, unless it can really top W:A.

The fact that it's written in Pascal may be a hindrance to those wanting to help develop, as well.

Otherwise, kudos to the developers for making a good start. :)

A lot of the stuff cybershadow wrote is in Pascal.

Patrick_
31 Mar 2008, 17:00
Yes, but CyberShadow isn't the only one who might want to work on the project. :)

Once you learn how to program, learning a language is easy. I'm just being picky...

Devoluti0n
31 Mar 2008, 17:03
Tiyuri ,
good job, i've sent you a pm :).