PDA

View Full Version : Language

jerekPL
26 Mar 2008, 14:33
I installed beta patch, newest version.
I had Polish version, but now i have English version, with no Polish in Language Selection Menu.
Could someone help me how to change back into Polish version, without reinstalling game? Because i want to have and Polish version, and that patch.

CyberShadow
26 Mar 2008, 14:42
Just install the game a second time, to a different folder. You can't get around it, because the update overwrote your Polish files.

canofworms
26 Mar 2008, 14:51
Just install the game a second time, to a different folder. You can't get around it, because the update overwrote your Polish files.

It doesn't say this on the site, I think it would be a good idea to put this stuff up.

bonz
26 Mar 2008, 15:24
I think all the missing languages need to be incorporated in the language selector that came with the beta updates.
That would probably require Unicode for all the text first.

canofworms
26 Mar 2008, 15:29
I think all the missing languages need to be incorporated in the language selector that came with the beta updates.
That would probably require Unicode for all the text first.

Unicode in theory won't be hard, just VERY time consuming, as the fonts are a long strip of letters in an image, where the game cuts out the bit it wants, so a lot of time drawing the glyphs and then updating (what I would guess is a struct in) the game source to utilize these.

However

Since a Polish version existed in the first place, these font files must exist, in which case you could have smallfont-en.gif, smallfont-pl.gif and the game just picks the one it wants.

Or more likely, CS/DC have a much better idea (probably the case as i'm a PHP dev, not C++ (and no, I dont have the source, Im guessing C++ due to an image called test that has the pic of an open dialog)).

CyberShadow
26 Mar 2008, 19:02
Team17 probably doesn't own the rights to the Polish translation in the first place.

canofworms
26 Mar 2008, 20:25
Team17 probably doesn't own the rights to the Polish translation in the first place.

Outsourced the job?

CyberShadow
26 Mar 2008, 21:09
More like sold distribution and localization rights.

bonz
26 Mar 2008, 22:44
Well, you could perhaps create a modulated frame work where everyone can import the respective language files into the language selector.
Provided that the Polish (and other) distributions use the same font sprite sheet system.

Although, when the frontend gets revamped and perhaps Unicode is used, that system might get trashed altogether.

canofworms
27 Mar 2008, 08:45
Well, you could perhaps create a modulated frame work where everyone can import the respective language files into the language selector.
Provided that the Polish (and other) distributions use the same font sprite sheet system.

Although, when the frontend gets revamped and perhaps Unicode is used, that system might get trashed altogether.

And to be quite honest, because the new frontend could be any time between tomorrow and the year 2012, I doubt there is much point in doing that.

EDIT

I found the cause of the problem

v3.6.19.11 Beta Update (2004.02.10)

Fixes
*snip*
• People running versions of Windows other than English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish or Swedish would have blank buttons and texts in the front end, and a default of Portuguese in game. The default is now English.

By the sound of it there has never been a Polish translation (in the betas).

Hakfinn
3 Apr 2008, 22:06
Can I change the fonts in W:A? Something like names over worms in the game - thin fonts? That was in Polish W:A version but when im installing the newest patch fonts are ordinary. ;)

SgtFusion
4 Apr 2008, 04:23
You would have to do a lot of image editing. The WA fonts are stored in image files, not as actual truetype fonts.
EDIT: Or, you could install the Polish WA and copy the font image files.

bonz
4 Apr 2008, 10:00
copy the font image files.
You probably find that image file on the Polish game CD and can copy it over the new one.

You might as well upload it to this forum, so other people can use thin fonts too.
(If it doesn't use obscure Polish characters.)

Muzer
4 Apr 2008, 10:12
Not worm names; aren't they installed in gfx.dir?

Hakfinn
6 Apr 2008, 13:15
I don't know where can i get it..? In gfx.dir file or..? :)
Dunno where's the fonts file.

bonz
6 Apr 2008, 15:27
It's probably one of those in here: ..\Worms Armageddon\graphics
Seems that there are different font sizes in those BMPs.
Don't know which one the thin one from the Polish version is.