PDA

View Full Version : W:A missing weapons

Chip
4 Mar 2008, 20:25
Weren't there 3 "un used" weapons for WA?

1. Laser
2. Sheep on a rope
3. ???

Squirminator2k
4 Mar 2008, 20:34
4. Profit.

Or, more likely, the Worm Strike.

bonz
4 Mar 2008, 20:49
Weren't there 3 "un used" weapons for WA?

1. Laser
2. Sheep on a rope
3. ???
Yes.

3. Black Shotgun
the Worm Strike.
The Worm Strike's sprite, while being unused, is still available on the CD.
Those 3 weapons' sprites are not available, bar the exclusive preview for the laser in my avatar.
(Note that the addition of the actual red laser beam was added by my humble self for special effects.)

Squirminator2k
4 Mar 2008, 20:53
I'm still waiting on Deadcode to send me the sprite for the Sheep-On-A-Rope. I'm dying to see it.

bonz
4 Mar 2008, 22:44
I'm still waiting on Deadcode to send me the sprite for the Sheep-On-A-Rope. I'm dying to see it.
You need to nag about it for at least 3 years before you are eligible to receive unused weapon sprites.

Squirminator2k
4 Mar 2008, 22:45
Well I'm halfway there, then.

Muzer
5 Mar 2008, 17:13
Don't forget the bible bomb and gas canister. and all the weapons from W2. And that weird utility noone knows about (and I can't remember what it is, something like ground 0)

Squirminator2k
5 Mar 2008, 17:14
Yeah, but those sprites are still in the WA sprite library. The laser, the Sheep-On-A-Rope and the black shotgun aren't.

bonz
5 Mar 2008, 18:38
And that weird utility noone knows about (and I can't remember what it is, something like ground 0)
Huh?
I think I have never heard of that before.

Chip
5 Mar 2008, 19:14
Ah yes, the black shotgun, that was it!!!
I can think of a cool new way for that weapon to work: It shoots out like 6 shots simultaneously but these are inaccurate and spread out over distence meaning the closer to the target its used the higher chance all the shots will hit the desired target. :D Each bullet does 7 damage meaning if all hit then it does 42 damage. But just like the shotgun, you get 2 goes meaning you could shoot again for another 42 damage totaling upto 84. - Somewhat high but then again a Minigun can do upto 110.
Its like a more advanced shotgun but a more close ranged weapon.

Sure this means another close ranged rifle weapon but hey I don't care - I just like having a huge amount of weapons to pick from and so hope that when the in-game fiddler style program gets added it'll allow us to ADD new weapons to the games instead of REPLACING them. Possibly a second weapons menu added for these?

Oh er.....animated graves, yes I like the thought of them but really I have never bothered making a grave myself so probably wouldn't care whether they add support for user made animated graves or not.

Squirminator2k
5 Mar 2008, 19:18
I just like having a huge amount of weapons to pick from

Even when many of the weapons perform identical tasks? The Old Woman is little more than a precision Sheep with no jump ability. There are several Air Strikes with little or no discernible difference. Cloned Sheep were taken out of WA because, being honest, they were identical to Mad Cows, which do a much better job. And the less said about some of the super grenades, the better.

This is the reason why Worms Open Warfare was stripped back so much. WA had an artillery of 60+ weapons, many of which have entirely niche roles.

Chip
5 Mar 2008, 19:35
Old Woman don't jump which means you can drop them from a high distence and wont need to worry about it jumping over where you want it to land or as in most cases, it jumps off the cliff and lands on another piece of terrain which leads it to my own worms.

I find each air strike unique. The only ones I would say are simular would be.....Mail strike and MB bomb but one is clusters, the other isnt. :cool:

As for cloned sheep, Yeah I agree but I don't like to waste a use of a good sprite so if I could I would bring them back but make it so the cloned sheep was an upgrade to the sheep (like Super to aqura sheep) but also make it is remote controlled meaning you move it around and also choose when to jump and when to detinate it. Perhaps something for scripting weapons if that too gets added. :)

Muzer
5 Mar 2008, 21:39
Huh?
I think I have never heard of that before.
I made a thread about it once, no-one gave it any notice as usual :(

I think it was in some obscure T17 preview.

EDIT: No wait, it was Landing Zone, not Ground Zero. I knew it had a Z in it. And here's the thread for good measure. http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23793&highlight=utility

Etho.
5 Mar 2008, 22:32
Every weapon in the 2nd generation worms series is unique in some way, and therefore adds to the game; except for one of them. It's my most hated weapon. It's none other than the noob fruit, the loathsome Banana Bomb.

Squirminator2k
5 Mar 2008, 22:35
Every weapon in the 2nd generation worms series is unique in some way, and therefore adds to the game
Nope. Wrong.

except for one of them. It's my most hated weapon. It's none other than the noob fruit, the loathsome Banana Bomb.
...Which has been in the game since the very first game in the series, so again you're wrong. Do pay attention, 007.

bonz
5 Mar 2008, 23:40
The black shotgun would fit perfectly for a "gamma ray gun" or a "microwave gun".
A double-shot gun that shoots through terrain without damage, but will hurt worms and cook up barrels (and possibly slightly nudge mines too, like I speculated about the laser with DC).

Total damage of both shots should be fairly low, about 30 (2x 15) points or so.
A worm should only get moved a small amount, about the same as a single handgun bullet causes.
I made a thread about it once, no-one gave it any notice as usual
Oh, I even posted in that thread almost 3 years ago.
Didn't remember.

Run
5 Mar 2008, 23:53
Every weapon in the 2nd generation worms series is unique in some way, and therefore adds to the game; except for one of them. It's my most hated weapon. It's none other than the noob fruit, the loathsome Banana Bomb.

thi

this is a fakepost

right

Etho.
6 Mar 2008, 06:30
Squirminator, do not correct me unless I say something incorrect. There are similar weapons, but they all have at least 1 distinguishing feature that makes in behave differently than its counterpart. That is, except for the banana bomb in my opinion. It behaves exactly like a cluster bomb, except with greater power.

You obviously didn't read the 2nd thing you corrected me on because no where did I say the banana bomb is not in Worms 2.

franpa
6 Mar 2008, 08:02
The black shotgun would fit perfectly for a "gamma ray gun" or a "microwave gun".
A double-shot gun that shoots through terrain without damage, but will hurt worms and cook up barrels (and possibly slightly nudge mines too, like I speculated about the laser with DC).

Total damage of both shots should be fairly low, about 30 (2x 15) points or so.
A worm should only get moved a small amount, about the same as a single handgun bullet causes.

Oh, I even posted in that thread almost 3 years ago.
Didn't remember.

like a rail gun? without the ripping worms to shreds.

Run
6 Mar 2008, 10:23
Squirminator, do not correct me unless I say something incorrect. There are similar weapons, but they all have at least 1 distinguishing feature that makes in behave differently than its counterpart. That is, except for the banana bomb in my opinion. It behaves exactly like a cluster bomb, except with greater power.

what about the minigun and the uzi

Etho.
6 Mar 2008, 16:18
2 Distinguishing traits:

Minigun: 50 shots, high spread
Uzi: 25 shots, medium spread

Metal Alex
6 Mar 2008, 16:21
Technically yes, as it constitutes an unauthorised use of another person or party's Intellectual Property. However, Team 17 have been rather lenient when it comes to fan-projects and the like. It's not in their ebst interests to go around suing fans who produce fan-art, fan-games, etc.

I'm not sure about this, but doesn't this only apply when the creator can take profit? Like selling the fangame and that. (or in some way it can lower the original's sales)

I'm not into the matter though.

EDIT: damn you, second page... anyways, I'll try to use this post as much as I can:

-the banana bomb is different in 2 things: it's VERY bouncy, and the explosion can get you easily, so it's best to throw it far... wich is harder because it bounces
-You won't sleep peacefully until the black shotgun and sheep-on-a-rope appears somewhere, bonz... Actually, the weapon concepts are good.

bonz
6 Mar 2008, 17:31
That is, except for the banana bomb in my opinion. It behaves exactly like a cluster bomb, except with greater power.
There is a distinguishing trait though:
You can choose between min and max bounce with the cluster bomb, whereas the banana bomb is always on max bounce.

BTW, is the collision mask different between banana and cluster?
That would let you fit a cluster through tiny holes, whereas the banana might get stuck.

Personally, increased blast power and damage is a quite distinguishing trait for me anyway.

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 17:40
Actually, the banana bomb bounces precisely like the grenade or cluster bomb on "max bounce".

bonz
6 Mar 2008, 17:44
Actually, the banana bomb bounces precisely like the grenade or cluster bomb on "max bounce".
Yes, that's why you have a distinguishing trait with the cluster's min bounce setting.

What about the collision mask though? Is that different?

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 17:50
It couldn't bounce precisely the same if the collision mask was different.

All projectiles' collision masks, including that of animals and even the holy hand grenade, are a 7x5-pixel rectangle.

SgtFusion
6 Mar 2008, 21:19
You know, I think that this topic (weapon sprites) should be split from this thread and made into its own thread. It has deviated greatly from the original topic and yet is not spammy enough to warrant deletion.

Squirminator2k
6 Mar 2008, 21:53
Squirminator, do not correct me unless I say something incorrect.
That's generally how it works, yes.

There are similar weapons, but they all have at least 1 distinguishing feature that makes in behave differently than its counterpart.
Well, yeah, obviously. Similar weapons will usually have different sprites, or marginally different usage, or whatever. But that doesn't change the fact that there are, to borrow some Super Smash Bros terminology, some clones in the roster.

That is, except for the banana bomb in my opinion. It behaves exactly like a cluster bomb, except with greater power.
No! No! It has one distinguishing feature that makes it different from the Cluster Bomb! It's yellow!

http://stuff.benpaddon.co.uk/clown.jpg

You obviously didn't read the 2nd thing you corrected me on because no where did I say the banana bomb is not in Worms 2.
Nope, but I felt it appropriate to point out that the weapon you described as the "noob fruit" is probably older than you are. Back in the days of the original Worms, getting a Banana Bomb was like finding a Holy Gand Grenade. It's a bloody good weapon that does a fair deal of damage. So long as you're not on a scheme where you start off with an unlimited number of them (or a high number of them) I don't really see much of a problem.

It never used to - in Worms and WormsDC you can adjust the bounce like the Grenade or Cluster Bomb. Only the Holy Hand Grenade couldn't be bounce-adjusted.

Etho.
6 Mar 2008, 22:44
Don't lecture me like I'm some idiot. I've been playing this game for as long as you have, perhaps longer. I think I deserve more respect than you are giving me.

Every weapon is unique. Not solely because of their sprites or their sounds, but most importantly, by their behavior. You might think that the cloned sheep and the mad cows are the same, but I do not. I see lots of differences between them. Both the bazooka and the grenade explode, but that doesn't mean they are not unique from each other in some way. They just have have a few similar characteristics.

Obviously there are similar weapons. Obviously all the weapons are unique in some way. Why correct something if it is obvious?

Also, all weapons DO add to the game. Every weapon in the game is an additional option I have to choose from. That is a fact, not an opinion. The way people choose to use these additional options is an entirely different discussion.

Squirminator2k
6 Mar 2008, 22:56
Don't lecture me like I'm some idiot. I've been playing this game for as long as you have, perhaps longer. I think I deserve more respect than you are giving me.

Lecture? Nah, I'm not lecturing.
I've been playing Worms since January '96, and I'd played the demo on the Amiga in November of '95, but that's largely unimportant.
You're probably right. That said, I treat everyone on this forum like this, so don't take it personally :)

Every weapon is unique. Not solely because of their sprites or their sounds, but most importantly, by their behavior. You might think that the cloned sheep and the mad cows are the same, but I do not. I see lots of differences between them. Both the bazooka and the grenade explode, but that doesn't mean they are not unique from each other in some way. They just have have a few similar characteristics.

Obviously there are similar weapons. Obviously all the weapons are unique in some way. Why correct something if it is obvious?
There's a clear difference between the Bazooka and the Grenade. That goes without saying. There is less of a difference between the Bazooka and, say, the Sticky Bomb (which is more a problem of the Worms 3D weapons roster than anything else, and one I dare say I'm perhaps ever-so-slightly responsible for). A better example of a similarity between weapons is the Carpet Bomb and the Sheep Strike, which are more or less the same weapon.

And yes, weapons each have their little unique attributes, but which weapon you choose to use is largely based on whimsy. Do you use the Mail Strike or the Sheep Strike? Do you drop a Ming Vase and run away, or send a Sally Army down the hill? Do you shoot with the shotgun or the crossbow? Each weapon has its own tactical benefits and drawbacks - sending a Sally Army may be better than walking down there yourself to drop the Vase, for instance - but by and large there are various weapons which perform more or less the same function, albeit slightly differently.

Also, all weapons DO add to the game. Every weapon in the game is an additional option I have to choose from. That is a fact, not an opinion. The way people choose to use these additional options is an entirely different discussion.
True.

SgtFusion
6 Mar 2008, 23:08
A better example of a similarity between weapons is the Carpet Bomb and the Sheep Strike, which are more or less the same weapon.
I would say less, because the sheep strike looks a lot different, makes bigger explosions, and creates fire. I think a better example would be the Magic Bullet, which is just a more powerful and smarter homing pigeon.

Run
6 Mar 2008, 23:36

Also, all weapons DO add to the game.

an intriguing position

Chip
7 Mar 2008, 12:24
I think a better example would be the Magic Bullet, which is just a more powerful and smarter homing pigeon.

And can survive in the water :)
But unless you have the full wormage unlocked then you cannot choose to start with a magic bullet and so your doomed to own the pigeon for all eternity!!!

SgtFusion
8 Mar 2008, 00:13
The homing pigeon can survive in water as well. And getting full wormage these days is easy with tools like TeamED.

Squirminator2k
8 Mar 2008, 05:59
The Homing Pigeon can't survive underwater.

franpa
8 Mar 2008, 06:33
it sinks to the bottom of the ocean to kill the poor wormies that didnt get a chance to live on dry land.

bonz
8 Mar 2008, 13:01
The homing pigeon can survive in water as well.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6771/franpacodeorange30d3551ea6.png
Have you actually ever tried to shoot a pigeon into the water? :rolleyes:
Sometimes I wonder if some people live in a parallel universe or if they're constantly on drugs.

SgtFusion
8 Mar 2008, 18:43
I tried it in Worms2 and the Pigeon survived. Or maybe I remembered incorrectly. I was sure that the Pigeon could survive in water.

bonz
8 Mar 2008, 20:01
I tried it in Worms2 and the Pigeon survived.
You obviously didn't try.
I tried it right now (v1.05) and the pigeon does not survive.

Besides, it doesn't matter as this is the WA sub-forum.
Or maybe I remembered incorrectly.
More likely.

Chip
8 Mar 2008, 20:21
Anyway, back to the original thread hyjacking topic of new weapons:

I would really hope they get included into the game but the first problem I see is that the standard weapons menu is already full which means for more weapons to be added you'll need to make a second weapons menu (right click once for the main weapons menu then right click again to the second menu like in the original worms) I do hope this gets made for when (if) we get the ingame fiddler style program so we can add more weapons to the game without replacing existiing ones.

The next problem I see is the whole "new weapons added are a total game change". Remember that discussion about making grenades bounce differently? Ok, that was a majour global change where as these weapons a indivudal little things. But people could complain saying "you only won the game because of that new cheating weapon"

The third problem would be actually making these weapons. What would they all do? How could a use be made for them? I have ideas such as making the laser shoot through terrain and cause damage at the same time as if it were a weapon shooting out a worm using a blowtourch. This would mean the laser can shoot through a line of worms striking multiple targets, that there is a unique weapon idea.
My shotgun idea I have already mentioned above, but the sheep on the rope? I don't know what you want that to do unless you think of Sheep using ninja rope in the same way as a worm - but as it'll just be a upgrdaed worm then it'll best be a weapon upgrade rarther then a new weapon (just like Aqura sheep is to Super sheep)

Well anyway, if new weapons are not made for these sprites then I hope the sprites them selves get released for the ingame fiddler style program (if it gets done)

bonz
8 Mar 2008, 20:47
weapons menu
That's no problem at all.
Even now there is one more weapon than the menu can handle.
With the fiddler if you enable all weapons plus the aquasheep, you have 6 weapons in the F5 row.
You don't see it, but you can select it with the F-key.
Deadcode said it would be easy to simply add a 6th column.
"new weapons added are a total game change"
I don't care.
You're not force to actually use the "new cheating weapons" in your scheme.
Just host oldschool games if you don't like them.

People are still playing standard size maps with 8 mines although huge maps chock full of mines are now supported.
What would they all do? How could a use be made for them?
Sheep-on-a-rope:
Here (http://forum.team17.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=19109&d=1105832335)
is how the original SOAR looked like.
Instead of the worm a sheep is hanging on the rope. The mechanics are then completely the same. When the sheep gets off the rope and touches anything it'll detonate.

Deadcode has actually made a prototype, which could shoot the rope to a predefined spot.
The only question that came up was whether the sheep should first jump around like a normal one and on a second press of the space bar fire the rope (straight up, a certain angle or angle set by user).
Or if it should be oldschool, in which case the worm would fire the rope and instead of getting pulled away it'll pull out the sheep of the worm's magic pocket (sheep appears instantly).

I'm most certainly for the first option, as it is consistent with all other sheep in the game.
Also, the worm could hold and launch the sheep and the opponents wouldn't be able do differentiate until it shoots the rope (just like the super/aqua sheep when it launches straight up into the air).

Laser:
My idea is a 2-shot weapon with low damage to worms (2x 15hp), which can dig straight through terrain.
The hole should be big enough to fit animals, but small enough for a worm.

Like the flamethrower, the shot should last for a certain amount of time and if you don't move your aim you should be able to achieve a maximum length of your tunnel (perhaps the twice length you can dig with the blowtorch).
It also should be able to slightly nudge worms and mines when hit.

Another idea was that the laser beam should be able to get reflected from girders.
Deadcode then suggested that the it could even get reflected from any terrain on very low angles (<5°) from horizontal, but with a decrease in power.

Black shotgun:
Gamma ray/X-ray gun like I suggested before.
Basically a shotgun which can shoot through terrain, but has lower damage.
Probably half the damage or lower (2x 25hp or 2x 20hp).

KRD
8 Mar 2008, 22:45
Deadcode has actually made a prototype, which could shoot the rope to a predefined spot.
The only question that came up was whether the sheep should first jump around like a normal one and on a second press of the space bar fire the rope (straight up, a certain angle or angle set by user).
Or if it should be oldschool, in which case the worm would fire the rope and instead of getting pulled away it'll pull out the sheep of the worm's magic pocket (sheep appears instantly).

I'm most certainly for the first option, as it is consistent with all other sheep in the game.
Also, the worm could hold and launch the sheep and the opponents wouldn't be able do differentiate until it shoots the rope (just like the super/aqua sheep when it launches straight up into the air).

Nothing consistent about having to specify the angle at which the sheep's rope will fire beforehand. But then neither would be shooting it straight up... :-/

kikumbob
8 Mar 2008, 23:26
I tried it in Worms2 and the Pigeon survived. Or maybe I remembered incorrectly. I was sure that the Pigeon could survive in water. For a few years I was totally convinced that I had witnessed the use of a strange blue grenade that I made teleport into the hole of an enemy worm when I was playing worms 2. No joke. To this day I do not understand how I managed to witness anything like this. My point is that the mind can play funny tricks with memory sometimes, which you will obviously be completely unaware of since it is in fact your memory...

Squirminator2k
9 Mar 2008, 00:10

Old-school. Otherwise it's not the Sheep-On-A-Rope. It's some weird variant ******* child of the Sheep-On-A-Rope, and that jes' won' fligh, Mistah.

bonz
9 Mar 2008, 13:37
(straight up, a certain angle or angle set by user)
Nothing consistent about having to specify the angle at which the sheep's rope will fire beforehand. But then neither would be shooting it straight up... :-/
Those were just 3 possible ideas we were discussing back then.
Shooting straight up would be consistent in so far as the super/aqua sheep also starts flying straight up.
Old-school. Otherwise it's not the Sheep-On-A-Rope. It's some weird variant ******* child of the Sheep-On-A-Rope, and that jes' won' fligh, Mistah.
Well, it then at least should use the "worm-holding-the-harpoon-gun" sprite when firing the rope.
(Making the worm shoot the rope out of his forehead would be a bit too old-school.)
A nice thought actually:

Worm A: "Hehe! He's already wasting his rope that early."
Worm B: "Ha! You wish!"
SOAR: "Bäh! Bäh"
Worm A: "Oh, no! It's return of the Sheep-on-a-rope!"
SOAR: "Boom!"

Which brings up another thought:
Should the SOAR make any sounds? In WDC it didn't.
Maybe it could make a "Bäh!" sound once in a while when it bounces off terrain, either in addition to the bouncy sound or replacing it then.
In 2nd generation games the sheep does that whenever it jumps.

Another thing:
Should "Kenny-on-a-rope" make his return too? :)

Muzer
9 Mar 2008, 14:25
In english, it's baa, not bäh

Plasma
9 Mar 2008, 18:15
Well, it then at least should use the "worm-holding-the-harpoon-gun" sprite when firing the rope.
Seconded.

It should baa as soon as the sheep gets loose, if you ask me.

KRD
9 Mar 2008, 19:32
Interesting dilemma.

SoaR's collision mask wouldn't be the same as a worm's if consistency is to be preserved in that regard. That could result in slightly different roping [pumps especially, if anyone still knows what those are] between the two. That wouldn't be consistent with the first generation games. :eek:

Squirminator2k
9 Mar 2008, 20:13

The rope obviously has to make a sound :) As for the sheep itself, I wonder if there's a free "worried bleeting sheep" sound effect on the internet that could be used in place of a standard Bah.

franpa
10 Mar 2008, 04:09
the grenades bouncing differently can also be made a scheme option, which is what the discussion ended up at ages ago. so it wouldn't be any worse then adding more weapons.

TailsFox
26 May 2008, 18:44
Yeah, but those sprites are still in the WA sprite library. The laser, the Sheep-On-A-Rope and the black shotgun aren't.

I'm a newbie to the Team17 forums and i may seem like a dunce, but how do you get to see the sprites and where is the WA sprite library?:-/

Muzer
26 May 2008, 21:25
You don't really need to, they have been extracted already on the WA Page of Light:
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/

But the library is in as file called GFX.DIR somewhere in your WA folder (can't remember where) and can be viewed with the sprite editor: search for it on www.worms2d.info

Fechmar
26 May 2008, 22:05
I always wanted to see a Rail Gun in this game. My idea of a Rail Gun would be like this:

It will be a super weapon. The odds of finding one would be similar to a donkey because this weapon is going to be very powerful. When holding it, it will look like the mortar (red zook). This is a nod to Quake 2's Rail Gun (the first Rail Gun I ever recall being in a fps). Because it is a very strong, powerful and heavy weapon I think it should take longer time to move it when aiming (thus, don't use it when your in a hurry). It fires just like the mortar (no power range). When it is fired it will be shot in a straight line from it's angle it was aimed at and travel very quickly. Also, the worm firing it will be "kicked" back a little from recoil (as if the worm was prodded, so don't use it next to a cliff!) The shot will travel through terrain as well as worms (like kamikaze) and destroy anything in it's path (drums, girders, sends mines flying). Each worm hit would receive ~150 damage and be sent flying as if they were hit with the baseball bat.

That is my dream weapon for this game :)

Squirminator2k
26 May 2008, 22:24
And a dream it shall remain, if we're lucky.

Run
27 May 2008, 19:42
I like the recoil idea. No weapon has that, it would give it a unique attribute

WormZ
30 May 2008, 14:28
I like the recoil idea. No weapon has that, it would give it a unique attribute

you'll soon complain when you fall in to the water... However i'd laugh...

...a lot

edit: my sig is horribly out of date, it even follows the no-link rule of ages ago still. I'll fix it one day

Run
30 May 2008, 14:43
and your avatar is laughably poor

look at that compression

look at it

look at it and weep

bonz
30 May 2008, 15:16
and your avatar is laughably poor

look at that compression

look at it

look at it and weep
And the strange black border on top and right side.
And the missing transparency.

Chip
31 May 2008, 14:12
And then there's me who has something unexplainable.

Anyway, new weapons - yeah I want them! Or at least have their sprites in game ready for the so called fiddler equivalent system thingy bob....thing.

bonz
31 May 2008, 14:23
Anyway, new weapons - yeah I want them! Or at least have their sprites in game ready for the so called fiddler equivalent system thingy bob....thing.
Nah, I demand that the laser and SOAR are made standard weapons after thorough alpha & beta testing.
And the black shotgun sprite should be made a useful standard weapon too. Gamma ray gun is my favourite suggestion.

Activating the Worm Strike might be fun too, so could be the reactivation of the disabled W2 weapons Cloned Sheep, Homing Cluster and Homing Strike.

Muzer
31 May 2008, 14:42
Don't forget bible bomb and gas cannister!

franpa
31 May 2008, 15:22
They were never enabled in Worms 2 so they are not some of the "disabled" weapons from Worms 2.

bonz
31 May 2008, 17:44
They were never enabled in Worms 2 so they are not some of the "disabled" weapons from Worms 2.
True.
But they could get reactivated nevertheless, as there is no throwable or droppable gas weapon in WA. (The skunk is an walking/animal weapon and the suicide bomber is a melee weapon.)

The bible bomb could get implemented as a clustered HHG, similar to the grenade-cluster-relation, only stronger.

franpa
1 Jun 2008, 12:43
I was thinking with the gas cannister, maybe make it last 3 turns like the petrol bomb? could be used for making some paths that bit less desirable.

bonz
1 Jun 2008, 14:18
I was thinking with the gas cannister, maybe make it last 3 turns like the petrol bomb? could be used for making some paths that bit less desirable.
Nice idea.

Also, I'd like to see a gas grenade, a throwable poison weapon.
There's also no airstrike poison weapon...

SgtFusion
2 Jun 2008, 10:04
The bible bomb could get implemented as a clustered HHG, similar to the grenade-cluster-relation, only stronger.
Don't we already have the Banana Bomb for a weapon that powerful?

bonz
2 Jun 2008, 10:55
Don't we already have the Banana Bomb for a weapon that powerful?
Nah, the clustered HHG I'm thinking of would be different:

1) It would need to rest motionless for 3 seconds before it detonates.
2) I somewhere heard that the Bible Bomb was supposed to have many clustlets, probably book pages.
So I'm thinking of a smaller initial blast but a high number of low powered clustlets.
Maybe ones that are carried by the wind like the letters of the mail strike. They maybe could be dispersed higher, so the wind affects them more.

The banana bomb has a low number of very high powered (same as the initial blast) clustlets.

Metal Alex
2 Jun 2008, 13:39
book pages.

Agh, I was gonna say that. Oh well.

Chip
7 Jun 2008, 17:29
Actually, for the bible I would imagine it releasing the clusters after the initial timer but the bible doesn't explode, meaning it'll continuasly drop out clusters as if they were trail sprites but harmful. The bible would explode upon contact with terrain / worm / crates so once it hits the ground it'll go pop.

The timer can be set like a grenade or maybe even have it detinate upon spacebar, the clusters themselves wont be powerful.

Basically this weapon is meant to be thrown over the terrain, avoiding it if possible and just letting the clusters drop out in its trail covering the surface of the map. Maybe the pages could be wing effected like the mail and float down?

Metal Alex
7 Jun 2008, 22:16
Actually, for the bible I would imagine it releasing the clusters after the initial timer but the bible doesn't explode, meaning it'll continuasly drop out clusters as if they were trail sprites but harmful. The bible would explode upon contact with terrain / worm / crates so once it hits the ground it'll go pop.

The timer can be set like a grenade or maybe even have it detinate upon spacebar, the clusters themselves wont be powerful.

Basically this weapon is meant to be thrown over the terrain, avoiding it if possible and just letting the clusters drop out in its trail covering the surface of the map. Maybe the pages could be wing effected like the mail and float down?

UHM... this gives me an idea... the faster it goes (wind friction, yay, and maybe if against the wind, even more... the more wind, the more power... uhm...), the more clusters it could drop... (not too many, of course).

Managed to write that quite awfully, but you get the idea :p

bonz
8 Jun 2008, 00:13

Actually, this is a very nice idea!
There's no weapon yet that has a function like this.
Besides, it'll resemble the flight of a book more realistically. :)

Run
8 Jun 2008, 09:28
Yeah i like that, kinda like an airstrike but with a bit more versatility

bonz
8 Jun 2008, 12:58
Yeah i like that, kinda like an airstrike but with a bit more versatility
And a good potential to backfire on yourself if you misjudge the wind.
And backfiring weapons is a thing that makes the game so great. :)

yakuza
12 Jun 2008, 12:26
I've always thought of a weapon like this. Like the Laser character in gunbound. You shoot a proyectile somewhere on the map that serves as a coordinate for clusters or whatever to fall from the sky into that spot, with a bit of randomness.

franpa
12 Jun 2008, 15:34
ala, carpet bombing?

yakuza
12 Jun 2008, 16:37
ala, carpet bombing?

There's no shooting in the carpet bomb.

franpa
13 Jun 2008, 04:38
They use um "Paint/radar Guns" that paint the target so the plain knows where its target is which is pretty similar to shooting a projectile somewhere, just removes your ability to retreat.

yakuza
13 Jun 2008, 08:13
They use um "Paint/radar Guns" that paint the target so the plain knows where its target is which is pretty similar to shooting a projectile somewhere, just removes your ability to retreat.

What?

Carpet bombing is just clicking and waiting.

bonz
13 Jun 2008, 09:42
The closest it gets to yakuza's idea would be W2's Homing Cluster.
Although, the clustlets don't come raining from the sky and the homing target is independent from the cluster itself.

yakuza
13 Jun 2008, 10:15
The closest it gets to yakuza's idea would be W2's Homing Cluster.
Although, the clustlets don't come raining from the sky and the homing target is independent from the cluster itself.

Not quite though, seeing as you still gotta click to select the target. In the case I'm describing, you just shoot a proyectile, and wherever it falls serves as a coordinate point. Then clusters of whatever would fall from the sky (like an airstrike) into were your proyectile stopped moving/stuck to/exploded into.
Basically, it's an airstrike that takes skill to use.

This weapon offers lots of strategy value.

Victor TH
14 Jun 2008, 19:20
A bit off topic, can anyone show the worm strike strike sprites( because I readed that they're still in the CD)? I can't find them.

Squirminator2k
14 Jun 2008, 19:44
The Worm Strike just used the, um, Worm sprites.

Victor TH
14 Jun 2008, 20:57
The Worm Strike just used the, um, Worm sprites.

Oh. Then I wonder how people know about those unused weapons..

Plasma
14 Jun 2008, 21:55
What?

Carpet bombing is just clicking and waiting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_bombing

yakuza
14 Jun 2008, 22:36

http://www.worms2.com/images/icons/good_weap_mcbo.gif

Learn to cope witht he context of things. Like us being if a worms forum.

Plasma
14 Jun 2008, 23:16
http://www.worms2.com/images/icons/good_weap_mcbo.gif

Learn to cope witht he context of things. Like us being if a worms forum.
If someone describes carpet bombing as using "um "Paint/radar Guns" that paint the target so the plain[sic] knows where its target is", chances is they aren't talking about worms.

bonz
14 Jun 2008, 23:36
Oh. Then I wonder how people know about those unused weapons..
The Fiddler (http://worms2d.info/The_Fiddler)

Clavius_SA
15 Jun 2008, 01:31
Different direction of new weapon idea: Switch places with any worm, works like worm select, looks like a teleport.

Another random idea I don't know where to put: repeating space, like, if you were to be thrown to the right of the map you would emerge on the left. Top and bottom would be nice too, clearly with some sort of falling loop failsafe, like on the tenth time the worm explodes and rains fire on all involved, you know, something crazy.

Is there a thread for this type of thing? I didn't see it.

franpa
15 Jun 2008, 05:30
Your first idea is good, your second has already been suggested in greater detail :)

franpa
16 Jun 2008, 01:19

Ah, ok. I was thinking of something like in Starcraft. Terrain Ghost's nuke ability requires them to constantly target a area for a nuke to successfully strike the target. (My paint idea was something like painting a target with infrared or similar so that weapons can lock on shielded/stealth targets).

Maybe the "Paint" idea could be used in a utility or something for revealing invisible worms?