PDA

View Full Version : wkick

pisto
12 Mar 2008, 13:44
not everyone will aprove it.
here's a wormkit module to kick people in-game by typing a command in the chat (no needs of an external program and the knoweledge of the player's ip). extract the dll from the archive (that contains the source code too) and place it in the worms directory, as wormkit.

how it works: just type "kick" (without wuotes) immediatly followed by the player index (it is the position in the list of the active players, that is, not greyed out). for example, host starts a game with these 3 player who joined:

Franpa
Cybershadow
Pisto

he wants to kick Franpa, so he types: kick1

Franpa disconnects and it is greyed out.
host wants then kick Pisto, so he types kick2 (since franpa is not longer an active player, and cybershadow is player number 1 now).

http://www.abload.de/img/careful8xg.png
(thx kevin:D)

please report any bug.

wormkit link: http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/
wkick link:

RastaUdu
12 Mar 2008, 14:43
Thanx Pisto!!!Grazie ;)

GreeN
12 Mar 2008, 15:54
Good work Pisto! I might suggest using some kind of prefix for the command though, as "kick1" (Etc.) may still be produced from a typing error

mrkaos
12 Mar 2008, 18:46
vn1 pisto!

pisto
12 Mar 2008, 18:58
I didn't call them
:D

Muzer
12 Mar 2008, 19:16
Nice .

komodo_1
15 Mar 2008, 10:08
Nice job Pisto.
very useful mod.
i pay ip from my isp (time charged), so it really s***s when a noob join my host and start to cow or to swear people around!!!!
Very thanks,
Kom ;)

P.s nice to meet friends hre too :D

yakuza
15 Mar 2008, 10:24
Does everyone need to be running wormkit and this module for it to work?

franpa
15 Mar 2008, 11:33
no. only the host needs to run it and only the host can use it, if you are not the host but still running it it will ignore the commands.

Dario
17 Mar 2008, 11:09
The most important thing: is there a way to detect when the host used this tool?. Otherwise this makes cheating in league games just too easy (that's why I highly dissaprove of this).

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 12:35
ehrm.. no. But this is just a "shortcut", if someone wants to kick without touching wa.exe, he already can, just in a trickier way. So you can never trust a replay or be sure that the hoster has really got some connection problems and because of them the connection dropped.

yakuza
17 Mar 2008, 12:44
ehrm.. no. But this is just a "shortcut", if someone wants to kick without touching wa.exe, he already can, just in a trickier way. So you can never trust a replay or be sure that the hoster has really got some connection problems and because of them the connection dropped.

Dario said it makes it easier, you agreed, therefore *ehrm.. yes.

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 12:53
"is there a way to detect when the host used this tool?"-->"ehrm... no"

franpa
17 Mar 2008, 13:47
when you kick someone, do they see the "kick1" or whatever? or are they disconnected before that message can be sent?

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 13:55
the kicked is really really unlikely to see the "kick#", problably it's impossible to receive the chat line before disconnecting. I tested some times, it doesnt appear.

bonz
17 Mar 2008, 14:30
But the "kick#" chat message will still be in the replay of the host?

If someone suspects the host of cheating in a league game he could request the replay and search for any valid "kick#" messages then.

yakuza
17 Mar 2008, 15:29
But the "kick#" chat message will still be in the replay of the host?

If someone suspects the host of cheating in a league game he could request the replay and search for any valid "kick#" messages then.

what if you whisper it to yourself?

Etho.
17 Mar 2008, 15:36
what if you whisper it to yourself?
Then the replay would show you whispering the command to yourself.

CyberShadow
17 Mar 2008, 16:28
the kicked is really really unlikely to see the "kick#", problably it's impossible to receive the chat line before disconnecting. I tested some times, it doesnt appear.
Can you make it disconnect a few seconds after sending the message then? So it appears in the disconnected party's replay?

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 16:39
Can you make it disconnect a few seconds after sending the message then? So it appears in the disconnected party's replay?
of course, though it would require a thread (if there are no timing API that accept a callback function and provide a thread).
but I dont think that malicious players would change the old working version of this plugin for this new one...
I noticed there's a really easy way to hide the "kick#" even in the host chat, I shouldn't have released the sources...

GreeN
17 Mar 2008, 16:48
I imagine more people are going to be using this in non-league games, in which case, most would definitely not want the 'kicked' player to see that they had been manually disconnected

There are already (Plenty of) discrete options for this type of client removal; Changing the mod will surely limit its own audience. I think it serves its purpous well as it is now :)

yakuza
17 Mar 2008, 17:43
what if I do the chat faking thing by counting spaces then typing my opponent's nick, type the kick command and then unplug my modem?

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 17:54
what if I do the chat faking thing by counting spaces then typing my opponent's nick, type the kick command and then unplug my modem?

I dont understand it: what would you get?

anyway, the kick# command is case sensitive and doesnt accept strings longer that "kick#" or with leading characters.

CyberShadow
17 Mar 2008, 17:57
I imagine more people are going to be using this in non-league games, in which case, most would definitely not want the 'kicked' player to see that they had been manually disconnectedWhy, so people can use this when they're losing? Would you care to argument your opinion?
There are already (Plenty of) discrete options for this type of client removal;Like what?
Changing the mod will surely limit its own audience. I think it serves its purpous well as it is now :)Isn't that opinion somewhat egocentric?
but I dont think that malicious players would change the old working version of this plugin for this new one...
I noticed there's a really easy way to hide the "kick#" even in the host chat, I shouldn't have released the sources...This is why you should have contacted me before releasing this. If this makes a mess, well done.
This trick is obvious when you extract the replay log.

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 18:07
leagues and a future wormnet implementation should be aware and ready to threat disconnections all as "suspected". the tools green was speaking about are xnetstat pro or tcpview (from sysinternals), and they are widely known, so it's pretty easy to cheat a league game in this way.

anyway, the knoweledge to make the kick command invisible is almost equal the one I needed to make wkick itself, and the last one is very affordable.

Dario
17 Mar 2008, 20:39
So in case someone didn't know about the previous disconnecting tools you are letting them know about them, more over you designed an improved one.

pisto
17 Mar 2008, 20:42
So in case someone didn't know about the previous disconnecting tools you are letting them know about them, more over you designed an improved one.

a good description of the actual situation.

franpa
18 Mar 2008, 01:34
it is better then hiding the cold truth from everyone, Dario. Yakuza, you can also change the reslution the replay is played at which also makes it obvious.

CyberShadow
18 Mar 2008, 04:13
The only justified use of this tool I can think of is to boot misbehaving players. I've seen griefers that change nicknames constantly and only show their true face once the game has begun. Thus, letting the booted player know that they have been booted by the host does not make any tool worse in any way, unless you plan to use it for other reasons (e.g. see above).

the tools green was speaking about are xnetstat pro or tcpview (from sysinternals)How are these any more "discrete" than pisto's module?

it is better then hiding the cold truth from everyoneInforming the player base of a dangerous tool and arming them with the tool are different things.

you can also change the reslution the replay is played at which also makes it obvious. ?

franpa
18 Mar 2008, 05:39
?

in regards to Yakuza saying how you can type a lot of spaces to make your message appear as tho someone else was speaking.

you can change your resolution which would change the number of spaces needed thus when viewing the replay at a different resolution the message would be offset.

pisto
18 Mar 2008, 06:36
How are these any more "discrete" than pisto's module?

they just disconnect the player without any chat command or other trace of being used.

CyberShadow
18 Mar 2008, 06:49
I think you mean "discreet (http://www.answers.com/discreet)", then.

KRD
18 Mar 2008, 12:52
At least Pisto doesn't deny his sole reason for releasing these things is to generate as much attention as possible in the circle commonly known as The Shopper Newbies With No Sense of Community and No Ability to Communicate Whatsoever. It's a start. Of a long road to recovery.

Oh, not everyone will aprove this post [sic].

pisto
18 Mar 2008, 13:10
At least Pisto doesn't deny his sole reason for releasing these things is to generate as much attention as possible in the circle commonly known as The Shopper Newbies With No Sense of Community and No Ability to Communicate Whatsoever. It's a start. Of a long road to recovery.

Oh, not everyone will aprove this post [sic].
just a too negative opinion. I released this because I thought the advantage of kicking annoying players (spammers, relapsing cow and so on) is bigger than the disadvantage of spreading a *JUST FASTER* way to cheat league game.

pisto
18 Mar 2008, 20:25
Any new cheats yet?
works in progress. slowly.

miky83
19 Mar 2008, 01:09
GJ Pisto... It is very useful to me ;)

KRD
19 Mar 2008, 19:32
I released this because...

You released it so your buddies would worship you for being a "hacker". It's not like you're the first to do that in this community, so no point in keeping up the charade. There is also no doubt in my mind that you knew about the following threads [which clearly explain why the community, even on these forums, is against such tools] before releasing your own booter, but did it anyway:

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35681

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28207

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28771

The only reason you're not getting flamed for it is because nobody on the staff of the currently active league reads the Team17 Forum.

yakuza
19 Mar 2008, 19:58
You released it so your buddies would worship you for being a "hacker". It's not like you're the first to do that in this community, so no point in keeping up the charade. There is also no doubt in my mind that you knew about the following threads [which clearly explain why the community, even on these forums, is against such tools] before releasing your own booter, but did it anyway:

The only reason you're not getting flamed for it is because nobody on the staff of the currently active league reads the Team17 Forum.

And because no one on these forums plays league games.

yakuza
19 Mar 2008, 21:16
You are both are ignorant. Just about every online multiplayer out there has a kick feature. Most are by vote thou. Pisto do you think you could get it to work so people can vote to kick a player? That would actually be the best way to go.

Name me one game in which you can play for rating (rank) and are able to boot the person you're playing against.
Now translate this to a Worms League game and you'll understand were we're coming from. Obviously, you won't, seeing as you jumped into stupid conclusions alone.

yakuza
19 Mar 2008, 22:25
Have you ever played a league game where people have no clue how to play?

No. Do you even know how leagues in Worms work? I wish noobs would take some time to learn the basics of the community before jumping into what they think is good or bad, specially when they're so clueless.

Those examples do not apply. I'm talking about games with an incorporated ladder, see: warcraft, starcraft etc.

[UFP]Ghost
20 Mar 2008, 02:04
I would fight like I did last time but there was no warning this time...whoever wrote it was right...if evilworm2 didn't make it then somebody else would. I keep checking back to this thread to see the progress but it appears he will keep releasing it even if public opinion was higher against then for, as it was in that pole.

On a side note the link it was a good memory of when I used to type 'u' and misspell many words...when I was active here and had the time to be and when the program was never released. :)

edit: if the reason is to kick inexperienced players then we can certainly wait for the rank feature to come back and channels where certain ranks are required. Maybe even other things that help players to understand what to do. Who knowns what the future holds. I urge you to remove that program from the thread/internet.

yakuza
20 Mar 2008, 11:05
Ghost;641916']I would fight like I did last time but there was no warning this time...whoever wrote it was right...if evilworm2 didn't make it then somebody else would. I keep checking back to this thread to see the progress but it appears he will keep releasing it even if public opinion was higher against then for, as it was in that pole.

On a side note the link it was a good memory of when I used to type 'u' and misspell many words...when I was active here and had the time to be and when the program was never released. :)

edit: if the reason is to kick inexperienced players then we can certainly wait for the rank feature to come back and channels where certain ranks are required. Maybe even other things that help players to understand what to do. Who knowns what the future holds. I urge you to remove that program from the thread/internet.

what the f?

bonz
20 Mar 2008, 12:28
I generally organize my games outside of Wormnet and play with people that I know.
Any other, unknown people simply get kicked before the game starts anyway.

Also, passworded games or direct IP games work wonder too against idiots and unknowing newbies.

And if I did host a game and some moron disrupts it, I would simply re-host and kick the culprit before the start.

So, this tool isn't really needed.
Although, I have put the module into my game folder just in case. :)

Skeeter
22 Mar 2008, 01:26
Cool thanks for this, it should help to remove annoying and misbehaving players from games i host now. :)

Now all we need is a ban tool so those bad players can never ever join one of the hosts games again. As im sure we all would like to keep the riff raff out and only good players remain. :)

[UFP]Ghost
22 Mar 2008, 01:50
Cool thanks for this, it should help to remove annoying and misbehaving players from games i host now. :)

Now all we need is a ban tool so those bad players can never ever join one of the hosts games again. As im sure we all would like to keep the riff raff out and only good players remain. :)

Blacklisting players would be a horrible idea. If they ever decided to learn and follow the rules then they'd already be unable to play with the common host.

Skeeter
22 Mar 2008, 01:59
Dont care really if they duno the rules or mess up when i host then they dont get a second chance when "I" host. If they do follow the rules eventually and dont mess up or abuse ppl through chat then they can simply join someone elses hosted game as theres plenty to choose from other than mine.

Etho.
22 Mar 2008, 03:09
Dont care really if they duno the rules or mess up when i host then they dont get a second chance when "I" host. If they do follow the rules eventually and dont mess up or abuse ppl through chat then they can simply join someone elses hosted game as theres plenty to choose from other than mine.
You, and everyone like you, is what's screwing up wormnet.

franpa
22 Mar 2008, 03:55
I give them a second chance, if they either A) can't easily understand english (my language) or B) show no attempt to follow the rules, then i will boot them before there next go comes.

i make absolutly sure (to the best of my ability) noobs know not to be in my games by displaying a message in the game lobby and at the start of the game that "If you are a noob at 'shoppa' then please leave this game. You WILL be kicked during the game if you are not good at playing 'shoppa'."

to me, being 'good' requires knowing how the rope works, it doesn not matter much if you are slow.

GreeN
22 Mar 2008, 23:43
Apologies for the late reply.. It seems most of my input has already been discussed

Why, so people can use this when they're losing? Would you care to argument your opinion?

Regardless of the precautions you take when playing a game, most hosts will undoubtedly find themselves in a position at one point or another where they feel they would like to remove someone from their game. For any of the endless reasons this may be, common sense will tell you that this decision would be rather insulting and/or degrading to the player being 'kicked', should they realise what had happened.

This method will likely never be looked apon as a dignified act, but it definitely saves alot of time and effort in most cases that I refer to.

Like what?

Pisto noted some of the common (Or maybe even the most common) options for this type of moderation. Each which are already widely known accross the whole of WormNet.

Pistos option here is simply a time saver to those already 'in the know' and nothing else. Definitely not something new or anything that should be frowned upon for the idea that it is spreading a new wave of maliciousness throughout the community.

Isn't that opinion somewhat egocentric?

Not forgetting my previously mentioned thoughts for this mod, my opinion is purely based on the fact that this is very practically fulfilling it's purpous, and providing a much simpler solution in control, for me and many friends who currently make use of it.

Etho.
23 Mar 2008, 03:34
For the record: I do not support this module. In my opinion, booting players out of a game is an unnessasary action in just about every scenario. This includes even those players that are being disruptive.

I think you people are taking this game far more seriously than you should be if you feel the need to boot someone from your game. Just in case you haven't already realized this, I'll say it very bluntly; shoppers, ropers, and many other schemes are not designed to be played as win/lose games when you have more than 2 teams playing. The rules ABL and KTL were put into place as a measure to even out the scores and allow everyone to have a good time.

You should not be playing 3+ player shoppers or ropers with the intention of winning. Rather you should be playing them with the intention of having fun, and if you are especially cool, you should be trying to make the game fun for everyone else.

When you are playing monopoly with someone and they roll a 6, but they make a mistake and accidentally move 7 spaces; do you yell at them and throw the board into the air because they are not playing properly? If you do then you are an idiot. Rules get broken, no matter how hard you try not to, so be forgiving about it.

If someone is not playing your game properly; tell them, teach them, help them. If they do not listen or want to learn, then your new game becomes KTC. It is also very easy to upset someone and have them leave the game at their own freewill by making them the center joke.

GreeN
23 Mar 2008, 04:18
I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but noone can tell anyone else how to have fun. If a player in the game is giving the other players a hard time, or taking the fun away from a game, then the host should have every right to remove them, in my opinion.

Not everyone has the patience, or even the time to act so generously as to 'teaching' them and/or straying away from the original game plan in an attempt to 'KTC'. It doesn't have to be as serious as it sounds, but it is just a simple answer to an (Often) annoying problem.

franpa
23 Mar 2008, 07:18
Etho, you'd be surprised at the number of players that have no clue at all what KTC is and lotsa of people i play are bad at understanding english which makes it even more harder to get the message across. it is inifitly eaiser to just kick the person if they have no desire to follow the rules then it is to explain to everyone else what KTC is.

yakuza
23 Mar 2008, 09:12
I don't understand why anyone would play games with a bunch of noobs so much that they need a tool to kick them out. Seriously. Most of the people for this tool are probably unsocial ****s who a) don't have a group of friends to play with, b) can't stand human interaction to teach a newbie how to follow the rules or c) pisto asked them to give him e-praise on this thread.

Koen-ftw
23 Mar 2008, 09:19
I'd like to express my opinion about this too. I don't think it was a good idea to release this module. Sure, if someone is really annoying and ruining the game for everyone, and is not willing to leave, I think he may be kicked. This is only in the worst cases, like when some drunk guy with bad English is talking about how he'd like to do your sister. But what is going to happen now, is that people are going to be kicked for games for other reasons. They forget to touch a wall? Accidentally attack the player who is last? Big chance is they're going to end up kicked from the game without getting a warning or second chance. I also see new players get kicked, just because they're not that skilled. This might not be happening now, but in the future it sure will.

franpa
23 Mar 2008, 09:59
when that time comes koen, a update to the game can render pisto's module useless i guess.

KORAS
23 Mar 2008, 10:44
Sounds good.... but seriously I kick rude players (noobs) before game started.
Well, at least since now I would kick Dario from league game when I will be loosing again :P

Plasma
23 Mar 2008, 11:13
It sounds good, in theory, because it can stop the a-holes from bugging you. However, most people in the world are gits, meaning way too many people are going to use this when they're losing, when an opponent accidentally broke a rule, or when they're too lazy to explain a certain rule or rules to a person who didn't know them.
Heck, take the amount of people here saying they'd always use it on a noob. If everyone was like that, how are new people supposed to learn how to play?

franpa
23 Mar 2008, 12:03
this is a better alternative to alt+f4 and rehosting. you can continue the current game without wasting any time.

if ou played a ******* who didnt have any such tools, they could still alt+f4.

Melon
23 Mar 2008, 12:34
It's been stated here a couple of times that booting somebody from your game is already possible, but a bit of effort and not well known. This isn't the problem. The problem here is the fact that you're not only making it common knowledge, but also really really easy to do. Until suitable measures can be put in place for when rankings roll out (yes, I'm well aware that could take over 5 years), we shouldn't really be letting people know they can do this, never mind help them do it more easily, because the community is fragile enough as it is already.

I know it's been stated before, but I'll say it again. If you're doing a 1 vs 1 and the other player is an ****, just quit and play someone else. If you're playing with more than 2 people, just gang up on them and knock them out early. It's a fun way to get rid of them. While your at it, you might as well tell them why, and at least then they'll learn something. This isn't a game like Call of Duty 4 where there's about a million and one players with thousands of servers to choose from.

franpa
23 Mar 2008, 13:07
there is a 3rd page but clicking it takes me to page 2... well, maybe after this post it will be corrected.

Plasma
23 Mar 2008, 14:19
there is a 3rd page but clicking it takes me to page 2... well, maybe after this post it will be corrected.
Weird, I've got the same problem.

Or had, before I made this post.

[UFP]Ghost
23 Mar 2008, 14:37
It's been stated here a couple of times that booting somebody from your game is already possible, but a bit of effort and not well known. This isn't the problem. The problem here is the fact that you're not only making it common knowledge, but also really really easy to do. Until suitable measures can be put in place for when rankings roll out (yes, I'm well aware that could take over 5 years), we shouldn't really be letting people know they can do this, never mind help them do it more easily, because the community is fragile enough as it is already.

I know it's been stated before, but I'll say it again. If you're doing a 1 vs 1 and the other player is an ****, just quit and play someone else. If you're playing with more than 2 people, just gang up on them and knock them out early. It's a fun way to get rid of them. While your at it, you might as well tell them why, and at least then they'll learn something. This isn't a game like Call of Duty 4 where there's about a million and one players with thousands of servers to choose from.

I have gone to find that I am not nearly as alone as I thought I was the last time I posted. Anyway now that I'm back...Melon is right. Aside from the obvious reasons not to that have been stated this is a small fragile community. Imagine, you just found the game worms, your very exited and install it to try an online game. Your not from a country where many players are from, theres a language barrier. You click on games only to get booted because...you don't understand what to do and people keep booting you because you don't understand there language very well.

I myself put the game on the shelf shortly after I got it because I got fed up...people would ask do you know the rules, I'd ask what they were and I'd get booted from the waiting room. This feature would make that much worse. If anything those players should be taught what to do. All I can say is thank you to the sites out there that made guides that explained the rules to different games.

Why not ask DC/CS to add a feature like you type "/shopper" and the rules come up to all users in their own installed language? That would remove the language barrier and then you can live with the few *****s that do it just to be *****s.

GoDxWyvern
23 Mar 2008, 15:32
Ghost;642373']Why not ask DC/CS to add a feature like you type "/shopper" and the rules come up to all users in their own installed language? That would remove the language barrier and then you can live with the few *****s that do it just to be *****s.
That is actually a brilliant idea. At least that's what I think.

Apart from that, I couldn't agree more with what Etho said. This tool is a load of filth.

bonz
23 Mar 2008, 18:34
I've come up with a metaphor:
It's possible for most common people to acquire guns and weapons in most countries of the world with some effort, registration, waiting time and psychological tests.
Pisto's module would be like selling guns over the counter in a supermarket, cutting the long, tedious process short and allowing everyone to own guns. :-/

Just look at the USA where you CAN actually get guns easily, even in the supermarket. There gun related deaths every year are insanely high.
Ghost;642373']Why not ask DC/CS to add a feature like you type "/shopper" and the rules come up to all users in their own installed language? That would remove the language barrier and then you can live with the few *****s that do it just to be *****s.
Excellent idea there!

OutofOrder
23 Mar 2008, 19:22
It has been years since the last time i've found anyone in my game being an as**ole. And i don't think that's because i get lucky, or too nice of a person to consider no one an as**ole, or because i always stick to play with the same people. It's because i've learned to know how to deal with other gamers.

If you're bored of playing with newbies, then go find skilled players. Join a league, or a skillful clan.
If you're impatient enough not to bother, you can always boot people from the host screen and play with those you know. Save the trouble to yourself, and the disappointment to the newbies.

Anyone that finds the need to use this kind of tools is more or less an intolerant, which is sign of idiocy. Beware of yourselves.
Learn to deal with other gamers, it's a process no one should be left out of.

yakuza
23 Mar 2008, 19:44
That's actually an analogy and not a metaphor, bonz. At least, that's how I interpret it.

Also, like it's probably been already mentioned, this tool allows you to avoid any kind of social interaction thus hurting a community that could really do with people talking to each other allowing them to advance in the learning curve.

KRD
23 Mar 2008, 20:45
Heck, take the amount of people here saying they'd always use it on a noob. If everyone was like that, how are new people supposed to learn how to play?

That's exactly the attitude that has already driven many players away, new as well as old. Especially the old, perhaps, since they were around to witness the days of glory and have better things to do than labour for a better tomorrow on WA. Boot tools are mere drops in the ocean of the idiocy that considers itself to be the new ruling class on WormNet. Is it can be metaphor day nao plees?

Hurrah for joining forces to stand against this evil, gentlemen. :D

CyberShadow
23 Mar 2008, 22:39
Ghost;642373']Why not ask DC/CS to add a feature like you type "/shopper" and the rules come up to all users in their own installed language?In 4.0, the rules will be enforced by the game.

[UFP]Ghost
23 Mar 2008, 22:55
In 4.0, the rules will be enforced by the game.

I'm aware of that feature and I'm glad that it will be done. However, we all know that 4.0 is not days away. It won't be around for a long time, you guys have a lot of coding to do on the game and not to mention your lives. That takes much more coding and time. Not to mention that forced rules or not, it's still a useful feature to have. This will take less time, people won't need a booting mechanism and will help people understand schemes.

franpa
24 Mar 2008, 02:57
it needs to retrieve the text to show from a editable source such as atext file so that we can continue to make new schemes and to fine tune the rules to our style of play. some people play shoppa with KTL for instance.

[UFP]Ghost
24 Mar 2008, 03:45
it needs to retrieve the text to show from a editable source such as atext file so that we can continue to make new schemes and to fine tune the rules to our style of play. some people play shoppa with KTL for instance.

It couldn't be player editable, I think. It doesn't translate itself. The host will simply be bale to choose from the common options like abl or ktl. Otherwise how will it show it in other languages?

franpa
24 Mar 2008, 04:28
im not talking about other languages, im talking about less common game types and new game types that are made. if i wanted to show the rules for shoppa by typing /shoppa it would show the ABL rule would it not? how do you get it to show the KTL rule instead? edit the text file it retrieved the rules from.

Muzer
24 Mar 2008, 09:18
It would say, "The host will either say abl or ktl. If he doesn't, you can usually assume abl, but if in doubt, ask him. If he says abl, it means you can't attack the person in last place, but you can attack everyone else. If he says kbl, you can only attack the leader. He might also say a number or random. This is the amount of time before mines explode."

[UFP]Ghost
24 Mar 2008, 11:52
It would say, "The host will either say abl or ktl. If he doesn't, you can usually assume abl, but if in doubt, ask him. If he says abl, it means you can't attack the person in last place, but you can attack everyone else. If he says kbl, you can only attack the leader. He might also say a number or random. This is the amount of time before mines explode."

good call.

raffie
24 Mar 2008, 12:03
Theres this guy on WN that has a macro recorder (http://www.jitbit.com/macrorecorder.aspx) installed for WA. He has a macro for just about every occasion and whenever some1 asks a question like "whats ABL" he has a 4-line reply ready explaing in every detail :)

franpa
24 Mar 2008, 12:23
you can use autohotkey too (another macro tool)

bonz
24 Mar 2008, 15:16
Oh my, you guys are thinking complicated! :rolleyes:

Hard-coded rules enforcement should actually be quite easy.
You have a bunch of options which you can tick to add up to a set of rules.
Rules that contradict themselves can not be stacked.

There should be a bunch of rule sets for the most common variations of game modes, just like hosting buddy at the moment also only has the most common ones.

When you choose a predefined set of rules and a few additional rules, the game could perhaps just add those, like it does at the moment with default schemes that are only edited with the 6 quick buttons (and are then denoted with asterisks).
E.g. You choose the "Shopper" rule set (which could contain CBA & AFR) and then add the ABL rule. Then the game would say "Shopper + ABL".
If you add more rules, it just adds them with another plus sign.

This of course must be limited to not overload the menus, maybe up to 3 additional rules.
Then it should just say "Custom rule set" (which of course you should be able to save with your custom names).

Rule sets an additional rules should have options to be saved together with scheme options, so it's easier to quickly start a specific game mode.

Should a new, popular game mode pop up in the future where a defined set of rules is exclusively used, the devs can always add it as a new predefined rule set.
Maybe even a voting/rating system on a webpage could do that and users can download new official rule sets every now and then.

Having said this, I definitely want to see properly enforced CTF/AvA rule sets, where the game ends once the last pixel is destroyed and the winning team is scored the points. :D
This reminds me:
There could be and additional rule that enables you to finish off the losing team afterwards to gain additional points, or enable the winner to grab a few points to not lose completely.

Also, Steam Achievements come to my mind right now... :/

Muzer
24 Mar 2008, 15:26
They mean harder to program in the first place. Read properly next time.

pisto
24 Mar 2008, 22:41
back from easter holidays, woow! wormnet doesn't work

I knew the discussion about the kick feature. I released wkick because I'm in the pro (in favour of) party. Not for the e-praises (nice neologism:D): I care not so much of praises in real life, but absolutely nothing when I'm wearing my virtual identity, when know people by their funny nicks and, sincerely, have no much relevance to me. IMHO anyone who works for reputation and desire reverence in a virtual community, probably to pump up his ego, should go out for a walk.
the italian guys who came to write "n job" etc. came on their own. they e-praise me just because I'm one of the most active members of their community, and I have my little particular skill.

When you are playing monopoly with someone and they roll a 6, but they make a mistake and accidentally move 7 spaces; do you yell at them and throw the board into the air because they are not playing properly? If you do then you are an idiot. Rules get broken, no matter how hard you try not to, so be forgiving about it.

If someone is not playing your game properly; tell them, teach them, help them. If they do not listen or want to learn, then your new game becomes KTC. It is also very easy to upset someone and have them leave the game at their own freewill by making them the center joke.
My hopes in human nature lead me to think that 90% of the host will help noobs and will use this module only when you're in front of an idiot who just wants to spoil a game (there are some around).

Not everyone has the patience, or even the time to act so generously as to 'teaching' them and/or straying away from the original game plan in an attempt to 'KTC'. It doesn't have to be as serious as it sounds, but it is just a simple answer to an (Often) annoying problem.
I never do KTC, it is a waste of time. Much better a rehost or my module.
I don't understand why anyone would play games with a bunch of noobs so much that they need a tool to kick them out. Seriously. Most of the people for this tool are probably unsocial ****s who a) don't have a group of friends to play with, b) can't stand human interaction to teach a newbie how to follow the rules
It has been years since the last time i've found anyone in my game being an as**ole. And i don't think that's because i get lucky, or too nice of a person to consider no one an as**ole, or because i always stick to play with the same people. It's because i've learned to know how to deal with other gamers.

If you're bored of playing with newbies, then go find skilled players. Join a league, or a skillful clan.
If you're impatient enough not to bother, you can always boot people from the host screen and play with those you know. Save the trouble to yourself, and the disappointment to the newbies.

Anyone that finds the need to use this kind of tools is more or less an intolerant, which is sign of idiocy. Beware of yourselves.
Learn to deal with other gamers, it's a process no one should be left out of.
you say the people for this are unsocial, and then you say (as many others do) that you've got to join a closed community/clan to play? what about the new players that join for the first time wormnet? do they have to know that the "elite" plays on direct tcpip?

That's exactly the attitude that has already driven many players away, new as well as old. Especially the old, perhaps, since they were around to witness the days of glory and have better things to do than labour for a better tomorrow on WA. Boot tools are mere drops in the ocean of the idiocy that considers itself to be the new ruling class on WormNet. Is it can be metaphor day nao plees?

Hurrah for joining forces to stand against this evil, gentlemen. :Dsame as before:
I thought wormnet has got no class, new players and veterans were threated al the same, and class was an unknown concept there, wasn't it?

Etho.
25 Mar 2008, 00:03
My hopes in human nature lead me to think that 90% of the host will help noobs and will use this module only when you're in front of an idiot who just wants to spoil a game (there are some around).
That's a nice hope pisto, but unfortunately human nature doesn't work like that. WormNet is composed of many types of people with various degrees of manners and social behavior. Included in this group are the idiots (like Skeeter) that will boot people over little misunderstandings or other small problems.

Real human nature works this way: Mistreated people generally learn to mistreat other people. They justify their mistreating of other people by the fact that they were treated no differently. So thus, the mistreatment grows slowly over time due to a domino effect.

I predict this module will corrupt manners in WormNet. The amount of corruption that occurs will depend upon how popular this module becomes and how long people use it for.

franpa
25 Mar 2008, 00:41
Nice bonz, i was just erm, enjoying over complicating it :) i've played some games (cant remember names) that worked like you suggest.

DudexTm
25 Mar 2008, 01:41
After reading the for's and against's in this thread, my opinion is -

1st this should have been passed to the T17 team to authorise as in many cases the whole game could have more people creating changes to a perfectly good game resulting in what could be the ruination of years of work done by its creators.

Having said that, this is now a working plug-in and unless the decision to re-write the update to void this plug-in we are all going to have to get used to having this function used in games and like it or not, it will have its uses.

I personally take every opportunity to try and verse new players with the rules of each scheme and welcome "triers" to join in and enjoy the game (something that i didnt find a lot of when i first started to play Worms over 3 years ago, for example if i asked in the WormNet lobby for help on a subject the usual response was to be ignored and often kicked from games for wanting to learn)
This is now just an easier way of enforcing the ignorance of experienced players who have no time for new players or to show/explain how the games and schemes work.

The only viable use for this module in my opinion is for abusive players and believe me i have encountered more than enough of them in my time, it is the only reason i can find to have a kick function in-game.

As for "noobs", "cowing" and other lame reasons to remove players from the game, its going to be difficult to find new players wanting to join any hosts after being removed from several games, i know if this had been implemented when i first started playing then the chances are, i wouldnt be here writing this now because i wouldnt have hung around to get booted every time i made a mistake in the learning process of the "game"!

Please note - This is just MY opinion and not aimed as an argument at anyone.

Footnote - Many thanks to Deadcode, Cybershadow and the rest of the team for all work put into the making and upkeep of this game, long may it last.

Regards
«ÐÚÐÊ™»

pisto
25 Mar 2008, 07:36
Real human nature works this way: Mistreated people generally learn to mistreat other people. They justify their mistreating of other people by the fact that they were treated no differently. So thus, the mistreatment grows slowly over time due to a domino effect.

well, I don't think so. I saw some noobs-who-has-just-learnt-the-rules yelling "COW!" to other noobs that didnt know them, but that's a minority.
When I dint know the rules, onlky about 30% of the hosts kicked me (before the game), the rest kindly explained me everything.

I won't probably adapt wkick for the next update.

CyberShadow
25 Mar 2008, 09:45
30% doesn't sound anywhere near the truth IMO.

Anyone care to conduct a study? :)

pisto
25 Mar 2008, 11:48
I must have been lucky.

Plasma
25 Mar 2008, 12:20

Anyone care to conduct a study? :)
30% is the percentage of people that know how to kick someone.
:p

DudexTm
25 Mar 2008, 13:38
Cybershadow

I dont know too much about the script "Hostingbuddy" but is there a possible way of using that to report what happens within the games hosted by it ?

I am in the process of learning and using mIRC scripts and you can create logs of conversations held, chat logs and kick logs for chatrooms, maybe you could integrate something similar into your script to see the hosting of games, who is kicked before and during the game and work out a percentage over a set period ?

CyberShadow
25 Mar 2008, 16:24
It doesn't log anything of what happens during the game. As for the lobby - it's a lot harder to kick people with HostingBuddy than when hosting normally (we are comparing having to type out a command followed by the person's exact nickname, with simply clicking that person's nickname).

DudexTm
26 Mar 2008, 00:18
Without seeing the written scripting to code HostingBuddy i can't offer any suggestions as to how it could be done (if at all).

Regarding the kick commands, i dont suppose it would make too much difference as the end result is ultimately the same, although if it means typing out a command and the exact name of said kickee, then it might be too much hassle for some hosts and that player ending up actually getting to play ;)

But... heading back on topic, if pisto's mod is involved, once in game that player will probably be kicked anyway so again, not much difference :rolleyes:

franpa
26 Mar 2008, 02:20
again, there is a 4th page yet clicking it does nothing.

Dude, you can only kick if your the Host, and with HB you are not the host so you can't kick in-game.

bonz
26 Mar 2008, 12:11
again, there is a 4th page yet clicking it does nothing.
True, this thread is cursed.

pisto
26 Mar 2008, 12:45
True, this thread is cursed.

let me LOL, stupid message length check

franpa
26 Mar 2008, 12:50
it's like the forum thinks there are 4 extra posts then there really is so it add's the next page early.

pisto
26 Mar 2008, 12:59
I think it's due to the removed tripeenz's posts.

bonz
26 Mar 2008, 14:15
I think it's due to the removed tripeenz's posts.
Aha, has he announced another version of WA:CE, now with a kick feature? :D
And ninjas?

raffie
26 Mar 2008, 20:42
And ninjas?

ROFL, he doesnt give up now does he, caught him flaming CyberShadow in AG some time ago, really wonder what that guy is smoking :D

bonz
26 Mar 2008, 22:51
really wonder what that guy is smoking :D
He's probably not taking his prescribed ADHD medication.

franpa
26 Mar 2008, 23:29
you mean ADVHD :-)

pisto
28 Mar 2008, 18:02
And ninjas?Also I'm modifing your wkick so people can vote to kick a player
i'll send ya it when i finish it before i release it so you can tell me what you thinkHe's probably not taking his prescribed ADHD medication.
you're so right bonz

k0d0
29 Jul 2008, 17:00
ok now with new patch your plugin causes crash if you tele pressing T button...
watch replay with new patch with and without wkick.dll :)

robowurmz
29 Jul 2008, 18:56
Trippenz is still going around? Him and doubletime should team up. Then we can kill two birds with one stone.

franpa
30 Jul 2008, 03:41
Yea, people are using his WANE and complaining the new patch makes them need a CD.

pkonline
9 Aug 2008, 08:45
Crashes the game everytime...

Muzer
9 Aug 2008, 10:25
Crashes the game everytime...
It is currently not compatible with 3.6.29.0. It's a known issue, you just have to wait.

Gatuno
19 Oct 2009, 17:40
Hello, i got a problem with it, i installed and did extract it at worms directory, but i'm getting an error, just when i start any game, and press anything i can hear a sound PIIInnnn, of like a lazer armor loading (lol), and so the game crash saying fatal error, i saved the errorlog and etc, the error dissapear if i uninstall the program, i need really help please, kicking people in games is so usefull.. like when someone keep doing disruptive behavior.. or don't play witch the right rules..
if someone asks for error.log i got it here

MihaiS_v2
20 Oct 2009, 00:31
i need really help please, kicking people in games is so usefull.. like when someone keep doing disruptive behavior.. or don't play witch the right rules..

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/185/8/2/Sad_by_OokamiTsuki99.gif Why not making this world a better place for them and for you?

franpa
20 Oct 2009, 04:51
Pisto's version of the tool does not work on W:A v3.6.29.0 or newer. It only works on v3.6.28.0.

Burner2011
30 Jun 2011, 11:37
Pisto's version of the tool does not work on W:A v3.6.29.0 or newer. It only works on v3.6.28.0.
Yep not with 3.6.31, too bad.

DarkLord22
1 Jul 2011, 20:09
Kawoosh made a version for 3.6.31.0. Go look for it.

And thanks for bumping a 2 year old thread... :rolleyes:

d3rd3vil
16 Mar 2013, 13:49
Now we just need a great kawooshkick feature for 3.7.2.1 :)

StepS
16 Mar 2013, 17:28
Now we just need a great kawooshkick feature for 3.7.2.1 :)

it's updated

d3rd3vil
16 Mar 2013, 18:32
Now that's great! Thx for the info :)

d3rd3vil
17 Mar 2013, 17:11
Mhh doesn't work anymore what do I need? I need the newest wormkit.exe or what?

StepS
17 Mar 2013, 18:04
Mhh doesn't work anymore what do I need? I need the newest wormkit.exe or what?

use "Load WormKit modules" in advanced settings :)

d3rd3vil
18 Mar 2013, 12:06
Ah yeah right, thank you :)