PDA

View Full Version : locked keys combinations

Robsoie
11 Mar 2008, 21:44
Hello,

Is there a way to have the following keys combinations :
ALT - TAB
CTRL - ALT - DEL
to work in WA , i had no luck with wormkit (when i install the wkAntiKeyboardHook.dll and i run the wormkit executable, once ingame the keys combinations do not work).
And found no answer in any of the knowledge bases and various troubleshooting threads found from google.

ALT - F4 works correctly though even without using wormkit
SHIFT - ESCAPE seems to works for minimizing.

But i would really like to have the ALT-TAB and CTRL-ALT-DEL to works like they do in every of my other applications and games.
Is there any solution ?

franpa
12 Mar 2008, 02:03
change the name of WA.EXE to something else then run it.

Robsoie
12 Mar 2008, 18:02
Good idea,

And as it could have been some of my security programs interfering with the name of the game executable, but even after disabling them and renaming wa.exe, unfortunately it does not seems to work, those 2 key combinations are always locked.

I can understand if team17 decided to lock the alt-tab , as i remember having read in older versions of WA , it was just crashing the game.

But why locking ctrl-alt-del is beyond me, how to recover if WA freeze without then having to hard reset your system ?

Muzer
12 Mar 2008, 19:13
Ctrl+Shift+Esc? (Does the same as Ctrl+Alt+Delete but skips the "what do you want to do" screen on Win2k, XP Professional and Vista)

CyberShadow
12 Mar 2008, 20:52
It was Microsoft which made Windows block these hotkeys, to prevent people crashing the game by pressing them.

Robsoie
13 Mar 2008, 00:59
Ctrl+Shift+Esc? (Does the same as Ctrl+Alt+Delete but skips the "what do you want to do" screen on Win2k, XP Professional and Vista)
Unfortunately, for such older games like WA and WWP, i am using an older computer with window ME to avoid troubles with older games and my XP system.
On 9x based OS Ctrl-Shift-Esc does nothing, only Ctrl-Alt-Del works (it works differently from NT OS too, as in 9x OS it does not bring the same panel, just the task manager allowing you to terminate a process that is stuck).

t was Microsoft which made Windows block these hotkeys, to prevent people crashing the game by pressing them
There must be something in WA itself, not just a microsoft design choice, as i can use without a problem ALT-TAB and CTRL-ALT-DEL from nearly every of the applications and games that are on this old comuter.
It only behave like that for WA and WWP.

So i guess i can only wait for the patch 4.0 with its windowed mode to have those functions back in some way, as it is easier to multitask with windowed games anyways.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

CyberShadow
13 Mar 2008, 02:11
The hotkeys are blocked from shimeng.dll, a standard Windows XP DLL which is part of the application compatibility system. Also, Ctrl+Alt+Del shouldn't be blocked.

W:A doesn't block any hotkeys itself.

Doesn't renaming WA.exe to something else solve your problem?

kikumbob
13 Mar 2008, 11:45
Unfortunately, for such older games like WA and WWP, i am using an older computer with window ME to avoid troubles with older games and my XP system.
On 9x based OS Ctrl-Shift-Esc does nothing, only Ctrl-Alt-Del works (it works differently from NT OS too, as in 9x OS it does not bring the same panel, just the task manager allowing you to terminate a process that is stuck).

There must be something in WA itself, not just a microsoft design choice, as i can use without a problem ALT-TAB and CTRL-ALT-DEL from nearly every of the applications and games that are on this old comuter.
It only behave like that for WA and WWP.

So i guess i can only wait for the patch 4.0 with its windowed mode to have those functions back in some way, as it is easier to multitask with windowed games anyways.

Anyways, thanks for the help. Can I just check that you are aware that you can minimize Worms Armageddon either by pressing escape then "minimize" in-game or by clicking at the bottom of the screen in the front end?

CyberShadow
13 Mar 2008, 12:31
Now also by pressing Shift+Escape, from almost anywhere.

Robsoie
13 Mar 2008, 12:34
The hotkeys are blocked from shimeng.dll, a standard Windows XP DLL which is part of the application compatibility system. Also, Ctrl+Alt+Del shouldn't be blocked.

W:A doesn't block any hotkeys itself.

Doesn't renaming WA.exe to something else solve your problem?
There is no shimeng.dll on 9x OS , that is only present on NT OS.
As said previously, unfortunately renaming WA.exe into something different is not doing the trick.
Maybe that's something not compatible with the XP optimisations of the current beta patch and the 9x serie of microsoft OS that is blocking those 2 key combination for me on this old computer.

Can I just check that you are aware that you can minimize Worms Armageddon either by pressing escape then "minimize" in-game or by clicking at the bottom of the screen in the front end?
Thanks for the hint, i didn't knew you just had to click on the very bottom of the screen, but pressing only ESCAPE to minimize never worked for me (SHIFT-ESCAPE worked though).

franpa
13 Mar 2008, 13:50
pressing escape while in-game IE: walking aroundshooting everyone up.

bonz
13 Mar 2008, 14:10
but pressing only ESCAPE to minimize never worked for me
Pressing Escape during a game just brings up the menu.
You then need to click the "minimize" option there.

kikumbob
13 Mar 2008, 15:52
by pressing escape then "minimize" in-game

Pressing Escape during a game just brings up the menu.
You then need to click the "minimize" option there. Is what I meant. I Should have been a little clearer.

bonz
13 Mar 2008, 21:58
Is what I meant. I Should have been a little clearer.
Nah, it's blatantly obvious.
I posted because I thought that Robsoie maybe imagined he could press Escape on the menus to minimize.
The escape button doesn't work on the menus though (not even to get to the previous screen), so he maybe thought it wasn't working for him.

[Also, I just remembered (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=384264&postcount=41) this (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=384380&postcount=45). :D]