PDA

View Full Version : help with the context menu functions...

franpa
5 Mar 2008, 03:22
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Team17.WAgame

can anyone export the above key and attach it here? or can i simply delete it and the game will recreate it? the 'Playback At' function simply plays the game with out letting me choose when to play it back from.

CyberShadow
5 Mar 2008, 10:56
or can i simply delete it and the game will recreate it?It will do that anyway, on every start.
Check the started WA.exe's command-line parameters (e.g. with ProcessExplorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx)).

franpa
5 Mar 2008, 11:26
the box is empty, which is weird because i have the command line argument /nointro which works fine.

Yes, i did run process explorer then wa.exe then minimized wa and right clicked its process and went to properties.

CyberShadow
5 Mar 2008, 16:55
Try deleting the key then.
Check that the change is mirrored in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Team17.WAgame, and also check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WAgame .

franpa
5 Mar 2008, 22:42
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Team17.WAgame\ shell\b.playat\command

---------------------------
Error Editing Value
Cannot edit : Error reading the value's contents.
OK

seems i somehow protected the key >.>

CyberShadow
5 Mar 2008, 22:51
Maybe it's related to my shell extension (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/misc/)?

franpa
6 Mar 2008, 02:49
W:A is setting the 'users group' to 'read only' but the rest are full control. i've changed it and confirmed it was all on full control, but launching W:A resets that bit back to 'read only'.

i can delete the key >.> but not modify it too and this has no impact on how W:A makes the key.

EDIT: i can now modify the key to my hearts content. "E:\Worms Armageddon\WA.exe" /dir "E:\Worms Armageddon" /playat "%1" is valid as far as i can tell (the path is correct)

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 12:05
Okay, so it works now then?

franpa
6 Mar 2008, 12:21
no. the problem persists. i now have permission for that key, i can edit/delete it to my hearts content and i can let W:A recreate it after deleting it. the problem MUST lie somwhere else.

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 17:36
So even after you delete the keys HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Team17.WAgame and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WAgame and let W:A recreate them, Process Explorer still shows that W:A is started without any command-line arguments?

This might be related to XP's new "simple file associations" feature. Instead of using the registry editor, try deleting the file association from Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types tab.

franpa
6 Mar 2008, 23:33
blah my bad, it runs with the cla when launching a replay.

"E:\Worms Armageddon\WA.exe" /dir "E:\Worms Armageddon" /playat "E:\Worms Armageddon\User\Games\2008-03-03 13.17.28 [Online] @Franpa, UISxxKlvox, EvilWeevil.WAgame"

yet doesnt show the replay at dialog. ill look into what you just suggested tho.

EDIT: that didnt fix it either.

CyberShadow
7 Mar 2008, 02:11
You're using the original 3.6.28.0 EXE, correct?

I don't know what could be causing this. Try to remember when did this appear and identify any changes in your system's configuration that might have affected it.

franpa
7 Mar 2008, 02:33
correct.

i'll dig around a bit more, all the functions except the 'playback at' work fine.

CyberShadow
7 Mar 2008, 03:25
By the way, try 3.6.26.5. There was a change in the last Beta affecting the "Playback At..." feature.

franpa
7 Mar 2008, 04:20
Worms Armageddon v3.6.26.5 'play at' works fine with 3.6.26.5 replays.
Worms Armageddon v3.6.28.0 'play at' does not work with v3.6.28.0 or 3.6.26.5 replays. it just plays it from the beginning.

both appear to have the same command in the registry o_O

CyberShadow
7 Mar 2008, 14:55
It's strange, I set up the paths exactly like in your case, so the command-line parameter was exactly the same - "E:\Worms Armageddon\WA.exe" /dir "E:\Worms Armageddon" /playat "E:\Worms Armageddon\User\Games\2008-03-03 13.17.28 [Online] @Franpa, UISxxKlvox, EvilWeevil.WAgame" - but the problem didn't manifest. I noticed that if you add an empty command-line parameter ("") at the end, the "Play at..." dialog does not appear, but the game starts at the first frame in paused mode (and the screen is black), and you must press 1 to start playing at normal speed.

Does the name or location of the replay make any difference (in particular presence of spaces in the full path incl. filename)?

franpa
8 Mar 2008, 04:09
i tried it in the root of my E drive and i changed it's name to 2.wagame and it would still not work with 3.6.28.0

i'm aware how weird it is. i've noticed that batch files are not using the windows command prompt and are instead using the simulated DOS command prompt which means that i can't have spaces in names nor can i have long file names. this might be a seperate issue tho, and i've tried looking for a way to revert it back to using the windows command prompt.

CyberShadow
8 Mar 2008, 13:35
Erm, what batch files?

franpa
8 Mar 2008, 14:31
any batch file. i wasn't reffering to W:A then.