PDA

View Full Version : Error - Cannot connect to host

Cloby
4 Mar 2008, 22:48
I'm trying to play a game over wormnet with my brother, but we both keep getting the error "Cannot connect to host" when we join each other's game. It doesn't matter who hosts, it times out and says unable to connect. I am connected to the internet through my college's network if that matters and he is just on a home network. If anyone has suggestions it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Slanzinger
4 Mar 2008, 22:57
You're probably both behind firewalls and/or routers - have you tried using HostingBuddy? Type !help in the lobby to get help, !schemes for a scheme list and !host [scheme] where "[scheme]" is the name of the scheme you want to use (as listed in !schemes).
I think you get a link for HB documentation as well from "!help" - careful though, as it's a little glitchy at times [still in development] (friend of mine today was "disconnected" when he hosted, but still watching the game)

Cloby
4 Mar 2008, 22:58
No I haven't. What does that do and where could I find it?

Melon
4 Mar 2008, 23:00
It's still possible to host behind routers and firewalls, you just need to configure them properly first.

The HOST (not necessarily anybody joining the game) will need to let WA through any firewalls they have, as well as forward port 17011 to their computer.

If you're connected to the internet through a university connection, then it's very very unlikely you'll manage to get them to forward the relevant port to you (I couldn't), so instead, get your friend to sort out his router configuration and make sure he always hosts.

Also, if he has a dynamic IP, you mind find it'll stop working again when his IP changes. It'll be better if he can make it static if he can.

Slanzinger
4 Mar 2008, 23:01
It's a bot within the game - go to a lobby (e.g. AnythingGoes), then follow the instructions as above (include exclamation marks, they tell the bot to read what you're typing)

bonz
4 Mar 2008, 23:02
What does that do
It's a bot that'll host games for you after you whisper him the details.
http://worms2d.info/HostingBuddy
where could I find it?
You'll find him on Wormnet.

SgtFusion
5 Mar 2008, 00:45
Unfortunately, HostingBuddy is inferior to an actual person hosting, as it usually disconnects everyone except the local player from the game after about five minutes.
EDIT: However, you can join my games if you want (I just figured out how to forward port 17011). I usually host shopper or WxW games, and my username is Littlebro.