PDA

View Full Version : using an xbox controller to play WA

b1llygo4t
4 Mar 2008, 16:24
ok, i grew up on WA for ps1. im a retard with a keyboard. i need a thumb roll on a dpad and a button to mash, not twitch taps and f keys...

so this is what i did...
1! splice an xbox break away with a usb cord. the xbox used usb for controller ports!(they are just funky shaped) just match up the colors( the xbox has a yellow wire, just cut it short and dont use it) and tape it up. your making an xbox controller to usb converter

2! go google "xbox controller driver"... easy enough

3! google this program called "JoyToKey". its a keyboard emulator for joysticks and game pads (it will suport any joy or pad, but i like xbox XD) you can actualy use a joy or pad to emulate any mouse movement or keypress, it works on anything, not just worms!

4! set it up. just like any game that uses a pad, not every setup is right for every one.

first, once you have the xbcd xbox gamepad driver installed and the joytokey program installed, plug in your controller. next go to the control panel, game controllers, then highlight "sbcd xbox gamepad" and click properties. also load up joytokey

your gonna have to change a few things. first in the gamepad, the dpad is all pov switches. change these to buttons numbers that are not already used. also in joytokey the UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT controls refer to Y-, Y+, X-, and X+ in the gamepad (it does not not use RY-, RY+, RX- , or RX+!) you can change these in the gamepad (so you can control the mouse with which ever analog stick you wish, and use the other for key presses)

there are some other things you will figure out along the way

this is my setup

dpad = up down left right (page up on left and right also)
A = enter
B = bksp
X = spacebar
Y = home, tab, page up
start = esc
back = right click
move right analog stick = mouse movement @ 40%
click right analog stick = left click
right shoulder button = F8
left shoulder button = ~(utilities)
move left analog stick;
up = page up
right = ctrl, c
down = page down
left = ctrl, v
click left analog stick = disabled (so far)
black = F9, F11
white = F5, F2

keep in mind that if you assign more than one key press to a button it will press them in that order. example if i press white, if there are no F5 weapons, then F2 weapons will show up, but if there are F5 weapons then i will never see F2 weapons... its confusing at first

i can do everything except type with it, i can even copy and past in wormnet

if anyone would like to add to this or comment, feal free to

bonz
4 Mar 2008, 22:52
I can play perfectly with my Logitech Rumble Pad 2 game pad by using the tool AutoHotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) and this (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=587532&postcount=5) script that CyberShadow wrote for gamepads with analog sticks.

It probably will work for the XBox controller too.

Etho.
5 Mar 2008, 00:02
I tried doing this with my Xbox 360 wireless controller. It was neat using a controller to play worms and everything, but overall it just doesn't seem to work well.

I wanted to set up the Left Analog stick for the left, right, up, down movement. Whenever I move the stick only slightly left or slightly right to move the worm, and then return it to neutral to stop moving, it would take 1 - 3 seconds usually to detect the analog stick was in neutral. So the worm would keep moving even after I let go of the stick for a few seconds. (walking off cliffs and such)

My second main issue was aiming the weapons using up and down on the analog stick. It's only possible if the stick is perfectly vertical, other wise the worm starts walking. So that didn't work.

I'm thinking of switching Left & Right for X & B, and Up & Down with LT & RT. Accuracy is important in worms, so the only way I can see a joystick working decently is if you don't control your movement with an analog stick. Although I only spent a couple minutes setting it up, I might be doing it wrong.

b1llygo4t
5 Mar 2008, 06:06
I tried doing this with my Xbox 360 wireless controller. It was neat using a controller to play worms and everything, but overall it just doesn't seem to work well.

I wanted to set up the Left Analog stick for the left, right, up, down movement. Whenever I move the stick only slightly left or slightly right to move the worm, and then return it to neutral to stop moving, it would take 1 - 3 seconds usually to detect the analog stick was in neutral. So the worm would keep moving even after I let go of the stick for a few seconds. (walking off cliffs and such)

My second main issue was aiming the weapons using up and down on the analog stick. It's only possible if the stick is perfectly vertical, other wise the worm starts walking. So that didn't work.

I'm thinking of switching Left & Right for X & B, and Up & Down with LT & RT. Accuracy is important in worms, so the only way I can see a joystick working decently is if you don't control your movement with an analog stick. Although I only spent a couple minutes setting it up, I might be doing it wrong.

try changing the anolog from x, y axis' to buttons, there should be an option for this in the driver. that should fix it. realy when dealing with game pads, the dpad is much more accurate for standard button presses. also this frees up the anolog for mouse movement, and if you have 2 analog sticks you can use one of them for fkeys and such