PDA

View Full Version : problems running worms on Windows ME

b1llygo4t
1 Mar 2008, 21:35
hi

i am trying to play WA on windows ME. when i start WA i get a black screen. i have sound.

I am running windows ME on an os emulator called Virtual PC 2007. i am running this on windows Vista. ME is completely independent of Vista.

thanx ahead of time

thomasp
1 Mar 2008, 22:03
Have you patched and/or upgraded WA using the latest beta patch from http://wa.team17.com ?

If you're not sure which patch or upgrade you need, ask here and we'll help to clear it up :)

Note, if you have downloaded the TryMedia version, the patches will NOT work.

CyberShadow
1 Mar 2008, 22:48
I couldn't get W:A running in a virtualised Windows ME either. Maybe it just doesn't work for one reason or another (no DirectDraw emulation for this system?)

franpa
2 Mar 2008, 00:27
under windows 9x you can set the direct draw to emulation mode >.> but that would probably cripple performance in direct draw games by way too big a amount.

b1llygo4t
3 Mar 2008, 07:47
i have the cyber shadow beta 3.6.28.0

i actualy have 2 copies of the game. one is from a long time ago and is all scratched up, and fails during install

the other one a buddy gave me and is on a burn disc. it is called WANE (worms armageddon new addition) and comes prepatched and can run without a disc.

i brought up the direct x propt and did a direct draw test. it drew some squares and then a bouncing box in small screen. but when it did the last test, a bouncing ball in full screen, the virtual pc gave me an error saying that the guest pc changed the aspect ratio and that live aspect ratio changing wasnt allowed, and just showed a blank screen until the test was over (same issue with worms)

so, i changed the aspect ratio down on ME, rebooted, and ran the test again. this time i saw a bouncing square at full screen. but it didnt fix it for worms.

now i need to know what resolution the game runs in. i just dont know if it changes when it starts a game or what.

one more note about this, when you first load worms there is a flash before the big picture of a mushroom cloud. i see that. then sometimes i see a white rectangle at the top. i cant see my mouse. if i click and move the mouse around, sometimes it makes the sound as if there is no selection, sometimes it makes the sound like if your trying to select stuff while its loading a game. but it never makes the select noise.

in another post a guy got it to run without the newest update, is there a way to ynupdate worms????

thnx alot for helping me guys!!!

bonz
3 Mar 2008, 12:06
the other one a buddy gave me and is on a burn disc. it is called WANE (worms armageddon new addition) and comes prepatched and can run without a disc.
This is a pirated version. You won't get support for that on this forum.

You'll have to re-buy an original copy of the game.
(Do NOT buy a downloadable version like Trygames. It won't work with the beta updates.)

b1llygo4t
4 Mar 2008, 14:44
so what i want to know is what is pirated about it? the cybershadow beta? is it the running without a disc?? i have the right to backup games i have purchased... so why do i not get suport? it uses direct draw regardless... and that is my issue... i purchased 2 copies of the game i still have them both one on ps1 and one for pc.

charge me for wormnet, id pay for that... but a game i purchased in 2000?? i already have the 3d worms crap, i have wwp for DC. do i realy need to buy 2 games that i already own for 30 bucks? i even bought worms for xbox360 that team 17 does not suport. hell charge me for updates hell you could get 40 bucks a year outa me if i didnt have to emulate this legacy software! im useing like 6 gigs just to attempt to play this game.

aaaaannnnnyyyyy waaaayyy

so running WA in ME, does the game switch reolution when it goes from front end to in game? on any copy?

b1llygo4t
4 Mar 2008, 14:49
pls dont shut this thread down as the core content of such thread is to further the knowledge of virtual pc emulation and running worms on modern systems

thnx

P.S. microsoft is giving away XP for free until April 1st to be installed on virtual PC 2007 for vista users (it says vista premium is not suported.... but ignore that, they just want you to spend 400 bucks to play old software, it still works!)

bonz
4 Mar 2008, 15:08
so what i want to know is what is pirated about it?
There is no legal version of WA that is called "WANE".
There is no legal version of WA that runs without the CD (or a CD image that is).
There is no legal version of WA that has the beta updates pre-installed.

Sure, you can create backups of your game, but it's illegal to manipulate the code, which a no-CD crack does.

Besides, how could anyone give you support for some non-official bodged version anyway?
Another thought: Why didn't your pirate friend simply get you a 1:1 copy of the original version to replace your scratched one?
Why are pirates always come to the official forum and try to get support for a pirate copy?

b1llygo4t
4 Mar 2008, 16:19
I apologize, i understand what you are saying. i will continue to use my old install to play on my XP comp and wait to obtain either a copy of my origional v 1.1.0, or a newer hard copy purchased to run on virtual pc. i did not realize what i was useing was pirated.

can you transfer an install? my disc will verify but fails during install. is it ok for me to obtain a copy of a program i own?

sorry for rockin the boat...

bonz
4 Mar 2008, 22:58
can you transfer an install?
Nah, I'd rather not do that.
is it ok for me to obtain a copy of a program i own?
Maybe.

b1llygo4t
5 Mar 2008, 06:01
no im saying can i transfer my install from my old comp to my new comp. is that possible?

SgtFusion
5 Mar 2008, 06:13
You can transfer the files and the program, but not the thing that tells Windows that it's installed. And it's perfectly legal to make and keep a copy of the original disk as long as you own the original version and are keeping the copy for personal use.

bonz
5 Mar 2008, 07:03
no im saying can i transfer my install from my old comp to my new comp. is that possible?
Yes, it's possible. Just copy the whole installation folder.

If you run the game the first time with administrator rights then, the file associations for WAGAME replays are created again.

The thing you'll have missing is the registry key for the game's installation path.
You'll need that one for tools like TeamED and the Fiddler.
You can manually create that key though, if needed.

b1llygo4t
5 Mar 2008, 10:18
ok, do you know what resolutions the game runs in?

CyberShadow
5 Mar 2008, 10:44
It should run in all 8-bit resolutions above 640x480 supported by your video card.

Muzer
5 Mar 2008, 17:23
But it doesn't for me. Could you add an "all resolutions" toggle for the next update (it goes up to 1024x768 max, then jumps to 1600x1200 or something stupid). There are no widescreen resolutions visible for my new monitor even though they run perfectly fine in Windows, and the 1280x1024 resolution I used to use is also absent.

CyberShadow
5 Mar 2008, 22:53
W:A lists the resolutions that the driver enumerates, it does not have a list of hard-coded resolutions. If the driver doesn't list a resolution, then it's very probable that it's not supported by your driver/video card. To see the full list of supported resolutions, open Display Properties from Control Panel, on the Settings tab click Advanced, then on the Adapter tab click "List All Modes...".

Muzer
6 Mar 2008, 17:49
Windows does detect them as supported, not unsupported.. I do not have to tick list all modes in Windows to get it to work at widescreen or 1280x1024. I do have quite an old card, an NVIDIA GeForce 2 Ti (How do you pronounce NVIDIA? Is it supposed to be used with an or a?), but it works fine in Windows. Perhaps you could add an option to use the Windows list, if that's possible?

EDIT: Attached is a screeny of the very bottom of my resolution list (it's huge!) accessed as you said. As you can see, my preferred resolution is in that list.

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 17:54
W:A lists the resolutions that the driver enumerates, it does not have a list of hard-coded resolutions.
If DirectX doesn't enumerate a resolution, there is nothing I can do about it.

Muzer
6 Mar 2008, 18:00
If DirectX doesn't enumerate a resolution, there is nothing I can do about it.

Attached is a screeny of the very bottom of my resolution list (it's huge!) accessed as you said. As you can see, my preferred resolution is in that list.

And I don't use Vista. It's a skin.

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 18:47
What are you trying to achieve?! Windows' enumeration method may be different from DirectX's. How many times must I repeat myself?

Muzer
6 Mar 2008, 18:55
All I'm saying is if it's possible and easy, could you add as a low-priority feature to have a toggle to switch to the Windows enumeration method? I'm not sure how easy this would be, or even if it's possible. You just haven't made it that clear that you can't switch to the Windows one. Other DX games detect all my resolutions, so I assume they use an alternative method.

CyberShadow
6 Mar 2008, 19:21
What I've been trying to say all this time is I highly doubt that any resolution that is not listed by W:A will work. And do those games use 8-bit graphics like W:A does?

b1llygo4t
11 Mar 2008, 22:30
could a program be made to interpret the direct draw and output another video source? are there any plans to "fix" the vista problem? i transfered my install from my XP comp to my ME virtual PC running on my Vista comp. it does the exact same thing. i see the flash during the intro, and hear all the sounds, but no video...

franpa
12 Mar 2008, 02:08
leave it on your xp comp and play it? why move it to a unsupported virtualized windows ME system?