PDA

View Full Version : An unfinished map, hows it looking?

Chip
1 Mar 2008, 14:52
Here's a map I started many years ago, well not many - only a few years back (just before the release of the current beta patch) Its a normal sized map so nothing large.

I tried to make a map that looked somewhat simular to the official WA special maps so I tried to match their drawing style. The map it self is based of the boat "Rusty Bucket" from Banjo-Kazooie's "Rusty Bucket bay" level.
Unfortunatley I haven't got it finished and I must admit that I probably wont get it finished any time soon as I have 102 other things to juggle with as well.
If I ever get it done then I'll post the finished project here but until then, here what it looks like: *link removed as its now done - check below for my newer post*

If you complete the lines of the crane then set the background to black you can play this map now and see what it'll be like. Also in game the Manhatan background best suits this map.

I nearly have the base of it complete (just need to make the crane on the back) After that I'll be adding in all the final details such as life boats, vents, the side walkway outside the cabin and the anchor, oh and the boat's title of "Rusty Bucket" mounted on the side of the hull.

KRD
1 Mar 2008, 17:29
Looks excellent so far.

I don't think I actually play schemes it could be used for, but the graphical style is spot on. Good work, here's to hoping you can get it finished someday. ;)

DarkOne
1 Mar 2008, 18:05
Wow, great stuff :) Perhaps that map could make a good combat challenge for TCB :)

SgtFusion
1 Mar 2008, 18:36
Wow. Looks pretty cool so far.

bonz
1 Mar 2008, 19:08
Nice map!
The graphical style indeed fits the original Team17.
Somehow reminds me of the "Good Ship Armageddon".

And yes, it would probably best be used for a mission or a challenge.
Although, it could always be used for a BnG or a normal game.
And if you'd add some objects and features to the vents and the crane, so that a worm can get up more easily, you could also use it for a T17 game. (Similar to how I like to play T17s on Run's City map.)

yakuza
1 Mar 2008, 20:08
Remember that black is background though.

SgtFusion
1 Mar 2008, 22:32
I think he's just having it like that until it's finished.

Run
1 Mar 2008, 22:48
Nice. I can see that map being in a mission.

yakuza
1 Mar 2008, 23:27
I think he's just having it like that until it's finished.

I meant for the chimeneys, they have some bits in black dunno if that's intended although it shouldn't matter that much.

Plasma
2 Mar 2008, 01:02
I meant for the chimeneys, they have some bits in black dunno if that's intended although it shouldn't matter that much.
Nope, they've got a luminancy of 24. They look black, but they're not black enough to be open space.

KRD
2 Mar 2008, 02:48
Could still use a slightly brighter outline for those of us who can't help ourselves but play the game without the background turned on.

Custom Team17 maps have it, don't they?

Chip
2 Mar 2008, 22:54
I never saw it coming but I went out and finished it off :eek:
Unfortunately I kind of used a little too many colours so in game there is a slight pixelation in some colours and I were even going to add more detail onto the hull such as rust, oh well I guess I can always hope for true colour maps :D

Here it is: (http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/Chip_psy/Rusty%20Bucket.PNG)

Also as an added bonus, I've made a "large" form that is double in size, that one can be found here: (http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/Chip_psy/Rusty%20Bucket%20Big.PNG)
Remember, this one is a big map so it can only be used if you place it in your saved levels folder.

I only play normal games against the AI so this map was made for that so I don't expect it used for shoppas or anything like it, also although its finished - more than likely I will keep coming back to it making little adjustments here and there / adding more sticky outy bits for worms to be placed on.
You never know, I may actually make the harbour :cool:

GoDxWyvern
2 Mar 2008, 23:07
Beautiful. I want a game with your art. Any type of game.

Melon
2 Mar 2008, 23:22
That is definately one of the nicest looking maps I've ever seen, I'm loving the logo on the flag. Hell, I;m loving all of it. It's just a shame that it doesn't really have a practical use. The problem with maps made for normal games is that they aren't always that great to play on.

If you made a map like that that was geared towards being used in a specific game mode, then it would truly be an exceptional map. *hint* *hint*

Maybe one day, when make-your-own-mission/scripting support gets put into WA, someone could make an awesome mission on this map.

bonz
3 Mar 2008, 12:12
Awesome map!

For the large version I suggest you use some vector-based graphic tool to resize it.
It is quite pixelly/blocky on the edges.

DarkOne
3 Mar 2008, 15:10
It's just a shame that it doesn't really have a practical use.

*slap* utter lies!

Wow, great stuff :) Perhaps that map could make a good combat challenge for TCB :)

franpa
4 Mar 2008, 01:21
great map Chip =)

Chip
4 Mar 2008, 16:01
I've already seen parts that I should improve and not surprisingly its the parts I rushed to get it complete. But if I do update the map I wont bother uploading it again as theres no real point since its just some very minor art on the hull and has no effect on the actual game.

As for the big version - it was just a quick test and it was never designed for a big map (but to me it worked anyway) I don't encourage the large form as its not the propper map so I went be editing that.

I have thougth of another idea for a map, a large map this time and it'll be a cavern map but will I even start it though? And how long would it take for me t finish it as with no doubt I would loose interest and leave it for a while like I did with Rusty Bucket and, well with every project I start :D

kikumbob
4 Mar 2008, 18:55
That is one extraordinarily sexy map. Nice work! And I will look forward to any other work that you start.

franpa
5 Mar 2008, 03:08
could you extend the space around the ship? that way if we were to play with a border, all parts would still be accessible.

Chip
5 Mar 2008, 19:26
I'm sure you could do that yourself :p

Well anyway, I'll get that done for a next version which I have planned but that wont be seen untill we get true colour maps as I also plan to add more detail onto the hull (near the back end especially) such as rust and anything else I can think of.

Actually I know something I could do - move the whole boat to the right and move one of those floating boxes to the far left to just under the front. That'll also encourage more action around the front as it now allows another location there for a worm or 2 to start.

Hiicantpk
10 Mar 2008, 16:14
It wont load for me.
what gives?

Chip
10 Mar 2008, 17:08
My image host is down,
I tried registering with another image host (Imageshack) but they wont send me an e-mail to activate my account.

...........you know what, I've just realised I can actually attach it to my post:

Download it from the zipped folder titled Rusty bucket 113.

Plasma
10 Mar 2008, 17:37
Once again: the only real purpose of registering on Imageshack is that your images are grouped together for easier access or if you forget the links. It's not necessary to register on it to host images.

Run
10 Mar 2008, 19:03
You should definitely make more maps like this, they make good maps for my one-of-everything scheme

I shall duly add it to the collection

bonz
10 Mar 2008, 19:19
Once again: the only real purpose of registering on Imageshack is that your images are grouped together for easier access or if you forget the links. It's not necessary to register on it to host images.
You need to register on Imageshack though (with Internet Explorer to get a cookie) if you want to use CyberShadow's awesome Uniupload (http://uniupload.thecybershadow.net/) tool.

Chip
10 Mar 2008, 19:22
Um, can WA import .png files through the editor's import feature?
I know you can trick the game into using them through the saved game feature but I don't know about the import though?

Anyway - I've changed the attachment, its now a .bmp in a zip folder (instead of a .png)

bonz
10 Mar 2008, 19:55
Um, can WA import .png files through the editor's import feature?
No, it can't.
I know you can trick the game into using them through the saved game feature but I don't know about the import though?
It's not "tricking", it's the intended way just like you used to do it with .BIT levels.
It's much quicker anyway, since you can directly load the map instead of clicking another bunch of buttons.
Anyway - I've changed the attachment, its now a .bmp in a zip folder (instead of a .png)
Should you want to upload your map (and future creations) to www.wmdb.org you'd have to convert it to .PNG again. (See specs here (http://worms2d.info/Colour_map).)

Chip
10 Mar 2008, 21:41
I forgot I can reduce down to my specificaly chosen colours......right then, map updated again (yeah sorry)
It should now, hopefully keep its true quality when imported in game. :cool:
Oh and its a png in a zip folder again :D

Chip
10 Mar 2008, 21:56
Its now on the worms map database.....but I haven't tested it since I've updated it, I hope its ok? :(