PDA

View Full Version : Brand new WA Icon !

GAS
1 Mar 2008, 05:57
Looking at my desktop the thing that bothers me the most is how the standard WA icon doesnt match with the rest of the cool looking ones in there, I guess because it hasn't been updated since WA was launched.
So, in order to fix that problem, I've just created another icon wich I hope you'll like to replace the old 2D standard one.

I did this for XP only i guess, if you want the Vista one PM me.

Done with Blender and IcoFX.

Cheers.

franpa
1 Mar 2008, 06:31
could you make one with a front on look?

CyberShadow
1 Mar 2008, 08:15
The icon was updated last beta. I've redrawn it in a vector program and created 48x48 versions. IMHO your icon isn't appropriate for a 2D game.

GAS
1 Mar 2008, 12:02
IMHO your icon isn't appropriate for a 2D game.

I don't see why if the game is 2D, the icon should be too.

Muzer
1 Mar 2008, 13:08
GAS has a point. That'd be like saying: That Spectrum game's loading screen is amazing, but the game is crap! That means you have to change the loading screen into crap as well!

robowurmz
1 Mar 2008, 13:54
Funny thing is, is that most spectrum games have great loading screens and the game itself is rubbish. IMHO, they should have spent more time on the game than the loading.

CyberShadow
1 Mar 2008, 14:01
Arguing with someone's personal taste is pointless, as taste isn't based on logic or reason.
None of the fan-made icons I've seen so far have, in my opinion, represented the game better than the simple black-on-yellow radioactive logo.

Perhaps the previously suggested icons (I can remember at least two more variants) could be put together in an alternative icon set, for those who think that the current icon is too bland.

Alien King
1 Mar 2008, 14:12
I'm inclined to agree with CS. The simple coloured trefoil fits with the game perfectly. But I would understand the argument that it doesn't fit in with the rest of your pretty icons for newer games or programs.

Each to their own I guess.

GAS
1 Mar 2008, 14:58
Exactly, I'm offering this to those who dont like the way the default icon looks.
In no way I am trying to replace the standard icon (wich I guess everyone is happy with because no bigger updates have been made so far). Take it or leave it, up to your taste.

breedybag
1 Mar 2008, 16:35
Good to see you've tried on blender, gas! :cool:

CyberShadow
1 Mar 2008, 16:39
wich I hope you'll like to replace the old 2D standard one.I misinterpreted that part :o I thought you were addressing the game developers.

GAS
1 Mar 2008, 16:49
Oh no ^^ I was adressing general audience.

Perhaps the previously suggested icons (I can remember at least two more variants) could be put together in an alternative icon set, for those who think that the current icon is too bland.

That sounds as a cool option too, though I couldn't find any of the other two icons in this forum.

bonz
1 Mar 2008, 19:17
I couldn't find any of the other two icons in this forum.
Here's another custom icon:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27335

In there I also posted the "Acid Burn" icon which I've been using for over 4 years now.

Squirminator2k
1 Mar 2008, 20:06
Acid Burn is a fantastic icon.

I think it might be nice to get an updated version of the WormsDC icon, though. I want to set up a WinUAE config that loads the game straight away.

SgtFusion
1 Mar 2008, 22:35
H'mmm, the icon is nicely done, but I like the 2D one better, and agree with CyberShadow that the 2D one fits in better with the game. However, that's just my opinion. The opinions of the people who like the 3D one are equally valid.

Squirminator2k
1 Mar 2008, 23:04
The 3D icon really doesn't look right for me, and it's not large enough to place on my dock. Tch.

ShyGuy
2 Mar 2008, 05:08
The icon was updated last beta. I've redrawn it in a vector program and created 48x48 versions. IMHO your icon isn't appropriate for a 2D game.

This. Even though this argument doesn't hold up in some cases, it does here, since everything in worms is made with cartoonish graphics. The 3d one doesn't fit imo, but nice design.

GAS
2 Mar 2008, 13:49
Well, it matches the loading screen!

Nah, I'm kidding, I dont really care wether it matches with the game or not because I know that that icon is for WA, as long as there's the radioactivity sign and all and that's enough. What I care about and I said before in previous post is that it looks good on my desktop, that's what inspired the creation of the icon.

raffie
19 Mar 2008, 12:30
Found another cool icon that i'm currently using for WA. Thought i'd share it with u guys. It's actually not designed to be for WA, however it looks identical, only a bit more shiny, and 256 x 256 so perfect for use with toolbars etc.

damn, 103kb zipped, 90 kb rarred but not allowed (why not btw?) w/e ive uploaded it for u guys: http://www.rigidattackforce.com/wa.rar

franpa
19 Mar 2008, 13:20
thats a pretty good one ;) thats what i was talking about before with GAS's one... do a front on approach.