PDA

View Full Version : Mines

ShyGuy
28 Feb 2008, 23:46
I've always wondered something about the mine.

Is there a way you can speed past an instant mine? Because I see a lot of time people go right by a mine and it doesn't set off.

yakuza
28 Feb 2008, 23:51
Yes, there is a way, and you've just described it.

KRD
29 Feb 2008, 05:03
Mines only check for proximity five times in a second, so it's quite common for a roping or flying worm to get in and out of the danger zone too quickly for them.

It applies to all mines, obviously, not just instant ones.

franpa
29 Feb 2008, 05:11
and the rate it checks if a worm is near it can increase up to a maximum 50 times a seconddepending on the speed the mine is traveling.

Chicken23
29 Feb 2008, 13:24
the other day i saw a mine drop in a roper and bounce to the right.

Also ive got replies of kami'ing into the sea with a downwards angle. And worms being able to walk in the kami hole and not plop!!

Plasma
29 Feb 2008, 14:52
Also ive got replies of kami'ing into the sea with a downwards angle. And worms being able to walk in the kami hole and not plop!!
That one's because the kami'ing worm drowns while there's still a bit of land left. Think of it as the ground being destroyed by the worm's tail, rather than by the its head.

Melon
29 Feb 2008, 17:16
the other day i saw a mine drop in a roper and bounce to the right.
Mines don't drop exactly vertically, they have a small amount of horizontal speed applied to them depending in the direction the worm is facing. It's entirely possible to collide with a mine while roping straight after you drop it, which will cause it to bounce off of you and fall in the opposite direction. This can happen with most, if not all projectile weapons I believe, and you can probably imagine it's a whole lot more dangerous when it happens with a bazooka or petrol bomb.
That one's because the kami'ing worm drowns while there's still a bit of land left. Think of it as the ground being destroyed by the worm's tail, rather than by the its head.
Actually, it doesn't work like this at all.

http://worms2d.info/Kamikaze_drowning_glitch

As far as the original topic is concerned, you can read about it here:

http://worms2d.info/Erratic_proximity_polling_by_a_mobile_Mine

but it's pretty much been described already.

yakuza
29 Feb 2008, 17:32
Mines don't drop exactly vertically, they have a small amount of horizontal speed applied to them depending in the direction the worm is facing. It's entirely possible to collide with a mine while roping straight after you drop it, which will cause it to bounce off of you and fall in the opposite direction. This can happen with most, if not all projectile weapons I believe, and you can probably imagine it's a whole lot more dangerous when it happens with a bazooka or petrol bomb.

Assuming Chicken knows all that, he probably means that a mine went down and bounced off the terrain to the right, just a thought. No idea how that could happen, though.

ShyGuy
29 Feb 2008, 21:15
Ah, K. This is interesting.