PDA

View Full Version : Some WormNet questions/problems

Nameless03
23 Feb 2008, 20:00
1. What is the maximum number of worms allowed in a game? I would like to think that 6 teams with 8 worms each would be possible, but somehow I doubt that.

2. For some reason, I can't seem to hear other teams' voices. I hear their voices as being the default sound set, and they hear my voices as the default sound set too. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks for the help.

Melon
23 Feb 2008, 20:08
With the latest update, you can actually have 6 teams with 8 worms each.
Without the latest update, it's 16 18 (thanks Muzer) worms, regardless of the combination used.

Speech banks don't get transferred to the other players when you play online. In order to hear a custom soundbank, a player must have that soundbank on his computer, with the same name, and in the same place on the disk (as in, same place relative to WA exe). If your game can't find the soundbank on your hard drive, then you will hear the default soundbank for your language.

Muzer
23 Feb 2008, 20:10
Without the latest update, it's 16 worms, regardless of the combination used.

I thought it was 18?

Melon
23 Feb 2008, 20:11
You're right, I was thinking 8x2, but yeah it's 6x3. It is 18.

EDIT: Heh, everyone's trying to answer this at once it seems.

SgtFusion
23 Feb 2008, 20:11
Yeah, it's 18. Although in a 1vs1 game it's 16, because you can't have more than 8 worms per team.
EDIT: You posted at almost the same time as me.

Nameless03
23 Feb 2008, 20:16
Thanks for the answers. More questions that just came to mind: I just played a game with 2 friends, which totals to 24 worms (3 teams, 8 worms each). We tried playing on one of the "custom" maps (Snow, Space etc), and one of us seems to get dropped whenever the game starts. But when we choose a "default" map (the one you can click on to generate a different one), it's fine. So is this a problem with maps?

And about the voices, then I take it my friends were using their own custom voices.

Muzer
23 Feb 2008, 20:42
It's a known bug. It works if you choose the map only after ALL PEOPLE have joined. The game doesn't send out to newly-joined people that it is a different map; on their screen it is a random map. It works if you change it after everyone is joined,

I though they fixed that in 3.6.28.0 though?

Nameless03
24 Feb 2008, 18:52
That's strange. I'm sure my friends and I patched to 3.6.28.0. Still, I'll change the map after everyone joins just to be safe.

Another strange(r) thing about the voices: I use Soul Men, one of my friends use Angry Scots, and the other uses Wacky. I believe they're all default speech sets, and I have all of them in my WA folder, but I can't hear their voices. They can't hear mine either, but they can hear each other's.

mushroom
26 Feb 2008, 19:25
It's a known bug. It works if you choose the map only after ALL PEOPLE have joined. The game doesn't send out to newly-joined people that it is a different map; on their screen it is a random map. It works if you change it after everyone is joined,

I though they fixed that in 3.6.28.0 though?

Actually I believe the bug is due to people being in minimized mode when the map finishes loading.

yakuza
26 Feb 2008, 20:29
No and no. The bug Muzer speaks of doesn't happen anymore. And the minimized bug doesn't make people crash, it only stops them from lighting up unless the map is reloaded/changed/modified.

bonz
27 Feb 2008, 08:03
I believe they're all default speech sets
Yes, they are, but...
I have all of them in my WA folder
...they should reside in the ..\Data\User\Speech on your WA CD. :rolleyes:

Nameless03
27 Feb 2008, 23:02
Oops, my mistake. I went ahead and assumed that the sound sets would be stored in the WA folder without checking. Now that I have, yeah, they're in the CD.

Slanzinger
29 Feb 2008, 22:19
A quick thing (mildly connected, I think) - I've been playing offline (local) games with friends, but when we tried to use a load of worms each (I think we filled up most teams), it defaulted to manual worm placement, for some reason. Any ideas what this could be?
(Latest beta patch)

SgtFusion
29 Feb 2008, 22:34
It does that if you have too many worms on too small a map.

Muzer
1 Mar 2008, 11:59
Yeah, otherwise the auto-placement glitches up, puts some worms in a stack and drowns others.

Slanzinger
1 Mar 2008, 20:20
Ok, so how many is "too many" for an automatically-created map?

Melon
1 Mar 2008, 20:31
Ok, so how many is "too many" for an automatically-created map?
Depends entirely on the map. Some maps have more places to put worms than others. If the map is pretty busy, but with little actual landmass, then you'll be able to fit more worms on it. If it's really empty or really full, there'll be less spaces available.