View Full Version : how do you make these kinda maps

hamz10
20 Feb 2008, 19:44
how do ya
http://www.persquaremetre.com/tmp/river-raid-2.png
heres what i mean help me i want to make a rope map by myself

Shadowmoon
20 Feb 2008, 19:50
You design one using paint, or a paint progam.

Rope maps are not very easy to design though.

Muzer
20 Feb 2008, 20:13
www.worms2d.info/Colour_map

yakuza
20 Feb 2008, 20:20
You design one using paint, or a paint progam.

Rope maps are not very easy to design though.

If we ignore the fact that Rope maps are probably the easiest to design then yes, you're right.

Shadowmoon
20 Feb 2008, 20:22
If we ignore the fact that Rope maps are probably the easiest to design then yes, you're right.

They are hard though. For me, anyway.

I do find it weird why most of your posts are quoting something i say.:p

yakuza
20 Feb 2008, 20:25
They are hard though. For me, anyway.

I do find it weird why most of your posts are quoting something i say.:p

Then stop missinforming and I won't have to correct you.

Shadowmoon
20 Feb 2008, 20:36
Then stop missinforming and I won't have to correct you.

Don't you ever get bored of correcting me all the time?:p

A rope map is actually easy, but it takes time to create an awesome rope map. You might want to have a look at other rope maps in the game, and get a better idea of what you want to make your rope map to look like.;)

bonz
20 Feb 2008, 22:29
I wonder how many times we have to post the link Muzer gave you, hamz10. :rolleyes:
Don't you ever get bored of correcting me all the time?:p
No. Nobody get's bored of that.
We're just doing to you what we did with franpa about one year ago. :)
Be glad that the franpa alerts are down, because otherwise you'd have a "code red" slapped all over your posts. :D
A rope map is actually easy, but it takes time to create an awesome rope map.
This statement is valid for all type of maps.
If you want to create something awesome, it takes more time.

And there are definitely more complicated maps for special game types, e.g. "Walk For Weapons" maps require you to draw/paste the weapon boxes or "Sheep Race" and "Golf" maps require you to draw and number each station/hole.
Those map types inherently take more time to create.

A rope map requires a few lines, or even cheaper a few dots.
Heck, even a single dot where all the worms teleport in could be defined as a rope map.

franpa
20 Feb 2008, 22:53
We're just doing to you what we did with franpa about one year ago. :)
Be glad that the franpa alerts are down, because otherwise you'd have a "code red" slapped all over your posts. :Dhttp://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10876
you can get the images to work again if you follow the instructions on editing your hosts file :) it didn't work for me but it did work for other people.

hamz10
21 Feb 2008, 20:31
which program is best paint adobe photoshop paintshoppro or GIMP

hamz10
21 Feb 2008, 20:41
colors i paint don't work

Melon
21 Feb 2008, 21:11
which program is best paint adobe photoshop paintshoppro or GIMP
Well, it's definately either paintshop pro or photoshop, but they will cost you hundreds of pounds/dollars. GIMP is free. Harder to use, but free.
colors i paint don't work
I don't understand what exactly you're trying to do here. You need your images to be in the correct format if they're going to be compatable with WA. I will show you this link for the third time, in the hope that you read it : www.worms2d.info/Colour_map

bonz
21 Feb 2008, 21:16
Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net) is a nice, free program.
It's as simple to use as MS Paint, but has much more features that expensive programs like Photoshop have.

CyberShadow
21 Feb 2008, 21:52
It also completely can't work with paletted images, so you can't use Paint.NET on its own - you'll need to use something else to convert the image to the 8-bit format required by W:A.

bonz
22 Feb 2008, 09:12
It also completely can't work with paletted images, so you can't use Paint.NET on its own - you'll need to use something else to convert the image to the 8-bit format required by W:A.
WA's built-in image import function for example.

BTW, can that handle oversized, non-PNG maps?

franpa
22 Feb 2008, 10:05
nope, well... it resizes them.

bonz
22 Feb 2008, 11:31
nope, well... it resizes them.
Ah, ok.

Well, a request to the developers would then be to add support for oversized BMP, JPG and TGA images in WA's import function.
Or even better, implement an automatic conversion of those three image types to PNG when they are put in the ..\user\saved levels folder.

Maybe with a prompt like this:
"This map is a BMP image [$big_file_size] and will be converted to a PNG image [$small_file_size] to be used in online games. Continue? OK/Cancel"
(Of course, an option to disable such an auto-conversion would help for people who create their maps as PNG from scratch anyway.)

hamz10
22 Feb 2008, 13:48
just tell me a set of instructions that all

franpa
22 Feb 2008, 14:03
http://www.worms2d.info/Colour_map
^ click it ^

bonz
22 Feb 2008, 14:41
just tell me a set of instructions that all
http://www.worms2d.info/Colour_map
^ click it ^
Not only click it, but also read it!
That Wiki page is a perfectly condensed set of instructions. Every paragraphy contains vital information for creating a map.

More so the section titled "Authoring instructions", which contains step-by-step tutorials on how to properly use four different image editing programs, of which all four have been suggested in this thread. :rolleyes:

hamz10
22 Feb 2008, 15:10
it's too long give instruction please and i don't even understand that info

CyberShadow
22 Feb 2008, 15:40
Then you have no chance of doing something like that on your own. It is probably too complicated for you to grasp.

franpa
22 Feb 2008, 15:46
1) we can not condense the instructions with out making it impossible to understand how to make a valid level.

2) you should brush up on your english then! once you understand it you could possibly add a translation of the instructions?

Run
22 Feb 2008, 16:35
2) you should brush up on your english then! once you understand it you could possibly add a translation of the instructions?

translate it into what?

i'm fairly sure he's not foreign, he just can't spell "birmingham"

because he's 9

Shadowmoon
22 Feb 2008, 19:12
Also hamz 10, if you can't make a rope map, you might want to have a look at http://www.blamethepixel.com

Its a site where you can download maps.

Muzer
22 Feb 2008, 19:34
translate it into what?

i'm fairly sure he's not foreign, he just can't spell "birmingham"

because he's 9

Hey :mad::mad:. I could spell Birmingham when I was nine.

hamz10
22 Feb 2008, 19:40
what progams that you want me to use list it i'll use it that all

knkn
22 Feb 2008, 21:20
what progams that you want me to use list it i'll use it that all

Let's not act completely challenged here - this is the wrong set of forums to do so. They gave you a few choices - theGIMP I'd think would the best free choice. If you click to that article on the worms wiki, I'm pretty sure it has preset instructions. BUT, if your willing to make a map, you've have to first do some pretty complicated things like:

google theGIMP
download theGIMP
install theGIMP
google theGIMP convert 8bit
actually read the article given [5x now?]

Instructions wanted; instructions given.

hamz10
22 Feb 2008, 22:32
thanks and i already have the gimp

hamz10
23 Feb 2008, 11:27
send me a video how to make a colour map thank you and i ordering cd :rolleyes:

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 15:39
There is no video. All you need to do to make a landscape is have a look at the ones online, and try to copy those.

Also try to improve your grammar, half of the time we can't understand what you're saying.

TeDdywoRm
23 Feb 2008, 15:45
I think you don't need to copy the maps on online. I think there was a tool called map thief(Is it right?).

turkish7
23 Feb 2008, 15:46

thank you for this

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 15:47
I think you don't need to copy the maps on online. I think there was a tool called map thief(Is it right?).

Yeah there is, and it can be found at:

http://www.blamethepixel.com

Melon
23 Feb 2008, 15:57
Map Thief is entirely unnecessary if you have WA, as you can just right-click the replay of the game you played on that map and click "extract map".

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 15:59
Map Thief is entirely unnecessary if you have WA, as you can just right-click the replay of the game you played on that map and click "extract map".

Thanks, i never knew that.

hamz10
23 Feb 2008, 17:20
when i try to edit a map with gimp they only have blach and white coulours

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 17:27
Have you read the gimp tutorial?

Melon
23 Feb 2008, 17:38
Double click one of those squares of colour and it will open up a window that lets you change those colours to something else.

hamz10
23 Feb 2008, 17:48
on that worm2d site for paint do you need tweak png?

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 17:53
If it says you do, then yes.

kittenmeat
23 Feb 2008, 18:10
I'm new to these forums and I have to say, I really admire everyone's patience here!

Run
23 Feb 2008, 18:17
I'm new to these forums and I have to say, I really admire everyone's patience here!

don't worry it'll soon run out

eventually someone will say "you'll just have to figure that out yourself" and hamz10 will say "how do i do that"

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 18:18

He's just 9, and its not very easy to tell him what to do, because he just doesn't seem to understand our instructions very well.

But somebodys patience will run out soon enough.

Muzer
23 Feb 2008, 20:08
I got the fiddler working when I was nine

knkn
23 Feb 2008, 20:32
Video on how to make a color map? I guess it's implied that all of us have hours of freetime to spare..

Shadowmoon
23 Feb 2008, 20:33
I think he thought that there would be one, but there definitely isn't. If there was, somebody would have posted it.

bonz
27 Feb 2008, 09:38
How do I make a video?
Send me a tutorial video please!

hamz10
27 Feb 2008, 20:10
:D ok search in Google hyper cam or computer cam or what ever
and download and install and press record (use shortcut) and make it and make the file tadda.