PDA

View Full Version : Various crashes on version .28

canofworms
17 Feb 2008, 20:02
I have experiened two issues with W:A 3.6.28.0. They both cause the game to bail out due to a memory access error (seriously, WHY is it accessing address 0x000000).

I have uploaded crash logs and dumps for the two errors in a zip file below.

Issue 1: Upon loading game

Crash directory 0.

W:A Beta Version: 3.6.28.0
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU: Athlon64 3600+
Motherboard: ECS Elitegroup C51GM-<
System Memory: 1GB
Video Card / Driver Revision: GeForce 7600GT, unsure
Sound Card / Driver Revision: Unsure (AC'97 codec), unsure
DirectX Revision: 9.0c
Nature of the problem: Memory access violation

Steps to recreate:
Start the game shortly after inserting the CD

Issue 2: Upon game completion

Crash directory 1.

Steps to recreate:
3 way network game, with two players on one team, one player in the team dies, other player drops out due to crash.

I could only reproduce this once.

canofworms
23 Mar 2008, 15:46
I am very sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I have an update for this bug.

It seems to be caused by a corrupted sound file on the disk. I noticed that it would start making hissing noises during gameplay, and then the game would crash when it goes to the screen after the end of the match.

I found the file which was corrupted on the CD (it was one of the background streams for the play screen), and found that Windows refused to copy it, and Windows Media Player refused to play it.

This means that the bug reported here isn't directly a fault with W:A, but as a feature request, if it encounters a problem playing a sound file (e.g. this hissing, and then the crash), it should try and resolve the problem (new/no stream sound), and not crash and burn afterwards.

Thanks and sorry again :)

bonz
23 Mar 2008, 18:48
I am very sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I have an update for this bug.
That's not an old thread and reviving it is just fine, as you added new info and the solution to the original, unsolved problem.
It seems to be caused by a corrupted sound file on the disk. [...] I found the file which was corrupted on the CD (it was one of the background streams for the play screen), and found that Windows refused to copy it, and Windows Media Player refused to play it.
Can you make a disk image of your CD?
If so, you can then use a disk image tool to edit it and import a working copy of the corrupt file that some nice person could send you.

canofworms
23 Mar 2008, 18:53
That's not an old thread and reviving it is just fine, as you added new info and the solution to the original, unsolved problem.

Can you make a disk image of your CD?
If so, you can then use a disk image tool to edit it and import a working copy of the corrupt file that some nice person could send you.

Luckily I had another copy of WA i got bundled with W2, so I can play on the network - so no problems getting a fixed file :)

Muzer
24 Mar 2008, 09:25
I had a scratched disc once, and the game usually crashed halfway through gameplay unless I turned abience off, and the mission maps had missing lines, some were literally one line of pixels! Some missions themseleves also glitched up.

canofworms
24 Mar 2008, 10:21
Would be nice to have some sort of crash protection for this stuff.

SilPho
28 Mar 2008, 16:30
The grumpy man's solution: If you looked after your disks you wouldn't have this problem.
The rich man's solution: You can get disks "repaired" for a few pounds at some stores. (Or http://www.cdhospital.com)
A more helpful solution: Create a backup image and run it from your hard disk.

bonz
29 Mar 2008, 00:44
Toothpaste allegedly works as a cheap scratch repair polish when applied thinly.

canofworms
29 Mar 2008, 07:57
Toothpaste allegedly works as a cheap scratch repair polish when applied thinly.

It does, I use it on some of my discs :P