PDA

View Full Version : Wormnet Problems - NT/XP

mklobnak
16 Feb 2008, 00:14
I have two computers. Both have WA on them - one is XP and one is NT. I'm not much in the way of networking information. My problem seems to exist once I get into Wormnet - and neither computer will work. I log in and then the music plays...then the whole program shuts down. It is very upsetting, as a friend of mine from California and I wish to play like we did in College...any quick fixes? I have the Trymedia version, and I have run the update to version 3.0. Any help would be wonderful!!!

PS: I got into Wormnet once and started to host a game...I left, and now I'm no longer able to get back in...as stated above.

SgtFusion
16 Feb 2008, 00:22
Get a refund (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495), buy the CD version and install the latest Beta Update (ftp://ftp.team17.com/pub/t17/patches/pc/WA_update-3.6.28.0_Beta_Installer.exe).

Melon
16 Feb 2008, 00:45
While the Trymedia version shouldn't stop you from going online, it certainly can't be updated, so don't try to apply a patch or update that isn't from Trymedia (I have no idea if there are any Trymedia updates, I've never used the Trymedia version.) Basically, you can't have a version higher than 3 I believe it is (again, I'm not the Trymedia expert). If you're only looking to go online to play your friends, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you go into any other WormNet game with such an old version you'll most likely be booted from playing.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Sounds odd to me. Maybe you would be better off trying a Direct IP game, as then you can avoid WormNet entirely. Just make sure that your router and firewall are configured properly so you can host, or you won't be playing a game regardless.

How to host : http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/wnguide-nohost.php

To play a direct IP game, you all need to put an IP into the black box at the bottom of the multiplayer menu (the one before you try to join WormNet).

(P.S. I too would avise ditching the Trymedia version and getting an updatable CD version, as that way you won't be missing out on loads of cool features, and you won't be shunned by the WormNet community if you ever want to get onto WormNet.)

Edit : It seems that hosting a direct IP game was added in a later update, so it's not applicable to Trymedia games. Ignore that part of this post.

mklobnak
16 Feb 2008, 01:11
I appreciate the speedy responses...guess I'm not the only worms dork in the world!! Okay, well, here is the question then...if I don't go through WormNet, and I can host a game from my computer by bypassing WormNet, then how do I go about doing that??? I know, I am clueless, but I live in Central US and my buddy, as stated before lives in SoCal. So...how do I start a "server" and if I start to host a game, how does he just find me??? Play by play instructions would be greatly helpful. Oh, and I would buy the CD version, but I'm broke. :p

Any more information would be wonderful! THANKS!

franpa
16 Feb 2008, 01:41
contact trymedia and ask for the 3.0.5.0 update for the trymedia version.

Melon
16 Feb 2008, 13:16
if I don't go through WormNet, and I can host a game from my computer by bypassing WormNet, then how do I go about doing that???
Maybe you would be better off trying a Direct IP game

To play a direct IP game, you all need to put an IP into the black box at the bottom of the multiplayer menu (the one before you try to join WormNet).
EDIT : Again, this was introduced in a later beta, so it doesn't apply.

franpa
16 Feb 2008, 13:51
i think direct ip games was added after the last trymedia update.

Muzer
16 Feb 2008, 13:51
Yes. Get a refund. Get the CD. Only way forward. https://secure.team17.com

Melon
16 Feb 2008, 16:41
i think direct ip games was added after the last trymedia update.
*Checks Beta Readme*

Yeah it seems it was added in the v3.6.19.7 Beta Update (2004.02.09). I never knew that. Sorry mklobnak, you'll have to ignore everything I said about hosting direct IP games then.

KRD
16 Feb 2008, 23:06
Oh, and I would buy the CD version, but I'm broke. :p

Apparently not broke enough to buy overpriced Trymedia games that can't be updated. The CD version costs less. Even if you include the shipping, I believe.

Get it. Get it now. :eek:

Plainplane
16 Feb 2008, 23:32
Oh, and I would buy the CD version, but I'm broke. :pYou can get a refund by following these instructions. (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495)

Then, you can buy the CD.

bonz
17 Feb 2008, 11:59
Apparently not broke enough to buy overpriced Trymedia games that can't be updated. The CD version costs less. Even if you include the shipping, I believe.
Fun thing that.
Someone who allegedly has no money but is able to buy an overpriced Trymedia game, where you need to have a credit card to order.

I think quite a lot of people who say they have the Trymedia version actually have a cracked, pirated version and think they can cleverly cover up their act that way. :rolleyes:

HeroHolger
18 Feb 2008, 19:26
wth
the WNet is totaly dead. i cant do anything there.
I get always a timeout.

its horror and makes me sad.

franpa
19 Feb 2008, 01:11
check the bottom of these forums for a section on wormnet and you will see that the issue is being worked on.