PDA

View Full Version : Worms on dual monitors: doable?

Cravin
28 Jan 2008, 00:45
Greetings and hello.

I have recently began using two monitors. I find it quite beneficial in many situations. The problem, and entire reason for this (very first) post of mine is this: When I run Worms: Armageddon The game encompasses an entire monitor. The other monitor at this point 'freezes' if you will. I am left without access to my second monitor unless I minimize the game, which is pretty pointless anyway. I have scoured t17 forum for several hours looking for an answer in my own. Unfortunately none has been found.

Any ideas on a possible fix?

Possible solutions:
-A way to play the game in a "restored" state (not taking up the entire screen)?

KRD
28 Jan 2008, 01:28
I don't think a second monitor will be useful for anything other than watching for example a previously opened chat window on it for as long as the game works in a paletted 256 colour mode and relies on DirectDraw. The good news is that once the update process reaches version 4.0, that won't be the case anymore. But because achieving that goal will basically require a complete rewrite of a large part of the game, it won't happen in the foreseeable future. We're on version 3.6.28.0 now, with 3.6.29.0 nearing release. Welcome to the waiting lounge. :p

This has proven a reasonably entertaining distraction for some: http://worms2d.info/

Cravin
28 Jan 2008, 06:04
I don't think a second monitor will be useful for anything other than watching for example a previously opened chat window on it for as long as the game works in a paletted 256 colour mode and relies on DirectDraw. The good news is that once the update process reaches version 4.0, that won't be the case anymore. But because achieving that goal will basically require a complete rewrite of a large part of the game, it won't happen in the foreseeable future. We're on version 3.6.28.0 now, with 3.6.29.0 nearing release. Welcome to the waiting lounge. :p

This has proven a reasonably entertaining distraction for some: http://worms2d.info/

Well, sir. Thank you for that response. Hopefully in the future we will find ourselves lucky.

SilPho
28 Jan 2008, 17:47
For what it's worth, the secondary monitor doesn't freeze, if there's a chat window open on the other monitor you will still be able to see what has appeared, the colours will be wrong and the resolution might be different, but it's still sort of working properly.

Peice of advice though, if your primary display is a monitor connected to a laptop then make sure to check Worms' resolution before starting a game after the monitor is disconnected. Otherwise your (for example) 1024x768 laptop will be trying to display the 1680x1050 resolution, this results in not being able to see areas of the map because the game doesn't let you scroll far enough.

Or in simple terms, when moving to a smaller screen size, check the game's resolution settings.

Run
30 Jan 2008, 13:28
For what it's worth, the secondary monitor doesn't freeze, if there's a chat window open on the other monitor you will still be able to see what has appeared, the colours will be wrong and the resolution might be different, but it's still sort of working properly.

Do the colours still screw up when watching a video file? I'd quite like to be able to watch a film on one monitor while playing worms on another

franpa
30 Jan 2008, 13:57
the colours would be limited to the pallete that W:A is using i believe or is limited to 256 colours.

[UFP]Ghost
31 Jan 2008, 04:53
Do the colours still screw up when watching a video file? I'd quite like to be able to watch a film on one monitor while playing worms on another

It doesn't work for me, is their anyway to make that work or prevent the resolution/colors form screwing up?

franpa
31 Jan 2008, 10:52
try setting your video player to use direct 3d/openGL instead of direct draw and see if the colours continue to look bad on the second monitor.

[UFP]Ghost
1 Feb 2008, 00:34
try setting your video player to use direct 3d/openGL instead of direct draw and see if the colours continue to look bad on the second monitor.

I could not find an option for that.

franpa
1 Feb 2008, 01:48
try a video player that does let you adjust the rendering device then -.-

[UFP]Ghost
2 Feb 2008, 02:29
yes it works now but i can only do that if the most right monitor is the one that worms plays on, it resizes the window when it plays on the left one. Is there a reason because i would prefer to use the right monitor for the movie.

franpa
2 Feb 2008, 03:46
swap the connections to your video card/s?

[UFP]Ghost
2 Feb 2008, 04:24
I tried using ultramon but it think worms overrides it's request to start the game on the secondary monitor. I want to keep the primary monitor, the left monitor. Would it be possible for CS to make it an option to open the game on the secondary screen?

franpa
2 Feb 2008, 05:45
Unplug your monitors from your video card. swap the order they are plugged in. and voila. now you can do what you want.

tho it will still not be on the secondary display. i believe support for ennumerating display devices will be added way down in the far future where v4.0 exists.

SilPho
2 Feb 2008, 11:31
If you're using Windows you can just tell windows which one your primary screen should be... can't you?

[UFP]Ghost
2 Feb 2008, 19:02
Unplug your monitors from your video card. swap the order they are plugged in. and voila. now you can do what you want.

tho it will still not be on the secondary display. i believe support for ennumerating display devices will be added way down in the far future where v4.0 exists.

If you're using Windows you can just tell windows which one your primary screen should be... can't you?

I have stated that I could switch the primary monitor and that it works my question was, is there a way around that?
as I want to keep the left the primary.

franpa
3 Feb 2008, 02:47
not until W:A enumerates or detects both displays.

Gnork
4 Mar 2009, 20:50
hmmm, i notice the same 'freeze' problem with dual monitors.... when i load worms on the primary screen, the secondary screen with prosnooper open will freeze, e.g. it doesn't update. but as soon as i minimize wa, the chatscreen gets updated and the filled with the 'frozen' lines... :s Also msn wont update if somebody went on/offline, so it's a useless setup, lol - nt though... using ati 9.2 drivers

MihaiS
4 Mar 2009, 20:54
Are you using your ati9600pro? The new screen on DVI-I and the old one on VGA?

Gnork
4 Mar 2009, 21:01
heh yea, thought some streaming tv next to it would be nice - anyway, it turns out i was partially wrong... the screen actually starts to update once i press the start game and we start to play :P lovely lol, still acting strange - but im not surprised by that, read above ;)

franpa
4 Mar 2009, 22:29
If W:A still uses direct x 7 or 6, then hardware acceleration for the secondary display would be disabled, which is what you visually see on the 2nd screen while the game/frontend has focus.

pokeman
4 Mar 2009, 23:11
Install worms on VMware and set it to second screen?

MihaiS
4 Mar 2009, 23:20
Install worms on VMware and set it to second screen?

Assuming it works fine, W:A is flickering when running on a VMWare virtual machine. W:A works best on a VirtualBox virtual machine, you won't be able to run worms at the extended desktop's resolution (at least not without distortions).