PDA

View Full Version : Compuer shut down while playing w:a

Chicken23
17 Jan 2008, 20:58
When im in a game of w:a my laptop has just been shutting down. Its happened 4 times now which is weird. My laptop never turns itself off when im not in a game of worms so im not sure if its related to wa.

Ive cleaned up some harddrive space, and did a ad adware scan and removed spyware stuff but problem occured today after all that.

KRD
17 Jan 2008, 21:11
Sounds like the poor thing could be overheating, even though the latest beta made WA somewhat friendlier in that regard. Future versions should do even better.

Anyway, having the insides of the laptop cleaned with compressed air usually helps a great deal from my experience. Can't do any harm and at least then you'll know if that was the cause of it. Dust is evil. Like Skully.

Alternatively, you could throttle the processor to run at a lower speed when playing the game. It's what I do and it at least keeps the keyboard cool enough to touch. Not cool enough for the keys to not get stuck all the time, unfortunately... :(

CyberShadow
18 Jan 2008, 01:37
Does it happen only during network games?
The latest W:A beta uses less CPU in the front-end and in offline games, but not in online ones.
The fix will be in the next beta.

robowurmz
18 Jan 2008, 07:11
If its a hot day, my friend usually puts his laptop in the fridge when he's not using it. Keeps it from overheating in the sun or warm house.

franpa
18 Jan 2008, 10:37
so, he lets water condense on it?

robowurmz
18 Jan 2008, 16:48
so, he lets water condense on it?

No, we have dry fridges.

bonz
18 Jan 2008, 19:48
No, we have dry fridges.
What franpa probably meant was that water could condense on the cooled surface after you've taken the laptop back out to use it.
(Unless you have a cold storage room where you can actually play while the laptop is frozen.)

SilPho
18 Jan 2008, 22:00
My laptop is in a fairly poorly ventilated room so it can get quite warm, but when it gets warm I just turn on my desk fan and blow the air across the laptop keyboard, works like a charm. Temperature inside drops from 60 to 40 degrees C in about 20 minutes even during use.

Saves having to give up valuable fridge space. :P

franpa
19 Jan 2008, 06:22
No, we have dry fridges.

True, i had hardly noticed that water no longer condenses on things in fridges these days... the new fridge we got thats maybe 6 months old now doesn't make water appear on the outside of packaging and it has a built in defrost thing too...

Chicken23
29 Feb 2008, 00:14
Its been happening again. I cured it for a few weeks by removing lots of spyware and making more space on the harddrive.

I was wondering... i use an wa image and i also own the cd. Which one is going to create more work for my computer and result in overheating?? Ive been playing via the image but would it work better by using the cd???

SgtFusion
29 Feb 2008, 00:29
The image can't cause your computer to overheat; how could it when it's just data on your hard drive? It will work better with the CD image.

franpa
29 Feb 2008, 05:13
it will work better on your hard drive because it means your CD Drive wont be generating any heat. your hard drive will always generate heat since that is where windows lives >.>

Chicken23
29 Feb 2008, 13:21
how do i throttle the processor to run at a lower speed krd?? When will u get msn again? sniff.

MrBunsy
29 Feb 2008, 17:20
Have you thought about opening it up and cleaning out dust / putting new thermal paste under the CPU's heatsink? A laptop should be able to run at 100% CPU indefinitely (well, 'till the battery dies). Lowering its speed feels like curing a symptom, not the cause.

I fixed an overheating laptop for someone I know a while ago by taking the heatsink off, clearing out the dust, wiping over the CPU + underside of heatsink with some meths and a clean cloth, then poping some new thermal paste on and putting the heatsink back. I tested it at 100% (near as I could) CPU for at least an hour, and the temp stayed stable.

yakuza
29 Feb 2008, 17:36
Update your graphic drivers, if they're outdated chances are your videocard is using more CPU than it should and it might use too much causing a blue screen of death.