PDA

View Full Version : Shoppa rules

Skeeter
13 Jan 2008, 17:55
When u accidentily fire a weapon on the ground like cows, i know you would skip the next turn but you are allowed to get a crate first right? I mean skip turn just means you skip attack only u can move and get a crate then skip turn yeah?

SilPho
13 Jan 2008, 17:58
It would depend on the host's preference. But I think most people would expect you to skip your entire turn. Otherwise people would tell you to "Skip An Attack" instead of "Skip A Turn"

Alien King
13 Jan 2008, 18:00
Typically people expect you to skip your turn without moving at all. Otherwise, it sought of undermines part of the purpose of the punishment.

snowdog
13 Jan 2008, 18:01
Told ya skeet...

Skeeter
13 Jan 2008, 18:09
It was a test map also as has been said up to the host anyhow. Usually tho it can mean skip turn without crate but depends. Especially since i asked you to help test the new additions of the design of my latest map it didnt matter about rules or depend on who won it was only so i could get feedback from you on the design changes, we played the next round so you can test it more. In a proper game i would have always skiped if i did a weapon on ground anyhow, but u were been a pain and cryed about it then left saying you didnt wana play me anymore cos i kept changing rules when i dont, i didnt follow the skip turn rule fully because it wasnt even a real match.

DarkOne
13 Jan 2008, 19:34
Some people don't even feel the need to have afr. If you think about it, it's a silly rule anyway. You have plenty of time to drop it from the rope anyway, so not doing so only limits your retreat options.

SilPho
13 Jan 2008, 20:10
I guess AFR stops people making easier shots with the Bazooka, and it adds an extra bit of complexity to aiming sheep, cows and other assorted animals.

raffie
14 Jan 2008, 14:55
Skip turn means skip turn, without moving your worm. Thats what ppl expect me to do and thats what i'd expect from others :)

DarkOne
14 Jan 2008, 15:40
I guess AFR stops people making easier shots with the Bazooka, and it adds an extra bit of complexity to aiming sheep, cows and other assorted animals.

Sorry, but if a zook shot would've been easy while standing, then doing said shot from the rope is also easy. Same applies to sheep, cows and other assorted animals. Besides, there's that zook-from-a-rope glitch you can you can use if you're desperate. Makes it easier from the rope than from the floor, too.
Next, please!

franpa
14 Jan 2008, 15:53
for me, if the damage to any team that is not significant, say 20 damage and the leader was never hurt in the attack then i would simply let it be. if however there was 20 or more damge dealt to a team then i would ask the person to skip. (if 2 teams got hurt and neither was hurt then i would count the combined damage as one)

of course i would tell them to skip and/or engage in KTC if the person purposely aimed the shot at the wrong team.

Wormetti
14 Jan 2008, 17:05
If they only hurt their own worm then isn't that punishment enough?

franpa
15 Jan 2008, 02:13
that doesnt matter so long as they end up where they started and didnt hurt anyone else and that includes crates... crates have feelings too ya'know!

[UFP]Ghost
15 Jan 2008, 05:43
I believe it should only be skip an attack, get crate and move to original position. I mean i understand it's your punishment but unless the crate is destroyed your giving an unfair advantage to the person after the cow.

franpa
15 Jan 2008, 05:46
the person that cowed gave an unfair disadvantage to the people he/she cowed.

bonz
15 Jan 2008, 09:00
the person that cowed gave an unfair disadvantage to the people he/she cowed.
Which are not necessarily the same people that catch the left-over crate. :rolleyes:

Skeeter
15 Jan 2008, 16:26
Played a game today and someone blocked me in a hole, so i asked them to skip turn, was i correct in saying this to the person as he/she didnt know this rule and i only asked as snowdog said blockin is against the rules so i presume is a cow offence yeah?

yakuza
15 Jan 2008, 17:05
You assume wrong, blocking is legal unless it's permanent using a longbow.

franpa
15 Jan 2008, 22:39
long bows shouldn't even be in a shoppa >.>

KRD
15 Jan 2008, 23:45
It's hard holding cynical comments back when people are discussing rules in a scheme where nothing makes the slightest bit of difference. I can skip turns until two turns of the game's end and I'll still have a 50% chance of winning, just like I did half an hour ago when it started.

Shopper rules only make sense in two player league games and each league handles the specifics on their website/forum, which should really be the only place for such discussions. Outside leagues, the scheme's supposed to be a source of fun, not endless frustration for poor newbies who don't know what's going on on one end and an angry mob of freaks on the other. It just feels to me that if half the energy spent trying to discern one complex Shopper rule from another was spent on making maps for it, WMDB would be flooded by masterpieces by now...

Well, that felt good. :o

M3ntal
16 Jan 2008, 03:23
I'll add to that by pointing out that if you are in last place with 3 or more players in the game, skipping the turn doesn't do the guy you COW'd any favours, he'd be better off if you attacked anyone but him.

Extremist2
16 Jan 2008, 06:04
Shopper sucks.

Not because I'm not good at it, but because it doesn't require much thinking. It's just "get crate, attack, escape" repeated a million times. It's a scheme for people who can only do one thing really well (roping).

P.S. I hate to use the term "sucks", but alliterations always sound better...

KRD
16 Jan 2008, 09:00
I'll add to that by pointing out that if you are in last place with 3 or more players in the game, skipping the turn doesn't do the guy you COW'd any favours, he'd be better off if you attacked anyone but him.

Also, that. Just playing on and making a joke about how much you suck for breaking a rule is so much easier and makes the game a lot smoother.

Heyou. :)

Melon
16 Jan 2008, 12:58
I personally still don't understand the purpose of the All But Last rule anyway. I assume it's designed for dragging the game out so everyone gets a roughly equal amount of time in the game, which is kind of pointless really. Talk about destroying the only tactics the scheme can offer.

What really annoys me is when I go into a normal game and someone starts crying that "you hit the person in last place". It's times like that that I almost give up on WormNet entirely.

Skeeter
16 Jan 2008, 13:00
Btw im just woundering about the cow thing when u dont fire from rope, is it still a cow if you accidentily fired off something on the ground and didnt actually hurt anyone i.e just went in a wall with no worms around. Or is it still a cow or just a cow when it hurts someone when u fire a weapon on the ground?

snowdog
16 Jan 2008, 13:11
Btw im just woundering about the cow thing when u dont fire from rope, is it still a cow if you accidentily fired off something on the ground and didnt actually hurt anyone i.e just went in a wall with no worms around. Or is it still a cow or just a cow when it hurts someone when u fire a weapon on the ground?

No, not ''damaging'' anyone doesn't count as attacking.
1 point of damage and it's cow tho.

At least that's what alot of people said to me when I often fired something from a parachute accidently into nowhere.

yakuza
16 Jan 2008, 13:21
I personally still don't understand the purpose of the All But Last rule anyway. I assume it's designed for dragging the game out so everyone gets a roughly equal amount of time in the game, which is kind of pointless really. Talk about destroying the only tactics the scheme can offer.

What really annoys me is when I go into a normal game and someone starts crying that "you hit the person in last place". It's times like that that I almost give up on WormNet entirely.

Any scheme in which the aim is to kill other worms just doesn't work, tactic wise, with more than two opponents. You're right though, the ABL/KTL rules are there not only to keep everyone in the game, but also to avoid people teaming up.

bonz
16 Jan 2008, 15:35
The only rule in a Shopper should be the CBA rule, i.e. shopping for a crate.

Plainplane
16 Jan 2008, 16:05
No, not ''damaging'' anyone doesn't count as attacking.
1 point of damage and it's cow tho.This reminds me of when I played in a Shoppa and I dropped an Old Woman. The woman then walked away from the leader's worm and toward a 4th place worm. After it detonated directly on the 4th place worm, people started going COW, COW, COW. But when the damage was tabulated, the leader's worm lost 1 point of health! The granny was still close enough to inflict 1 damage, and it wasn't a cow. :D

Plainplane :)

franpa
17 Jan 2008, 02:47
i accept 1 point of damage so long as it was inteneded to hurt the leader more. if it was obvious then id say 50/50 chance i would allow it:P

Evil Bunny
18 Jan 2008, 12:39
i accept 1 point of damage so long as it was inteneded to hurt the leader more. if it was obvious then id say 50/50 chance i would allow it:P

KTL sucks.

Rainman_
18 Jan 2008, 14:36
KTL sucks.

The final word has been spoken! :D