PDA

View Full Version : Bug with CD detection?

franpa
30 Dec 2007, 02:15
ok, make a image of your Worms Armageddon CD and mount it on your alcohol 120% Virtual Drive. now tell Alcohol 120% to NOT auto mount the virtual drives on windows startup. reboot your PC and try playing W:A.

it will just sit there producing a lot of static... the only way to know its running (and to close it) is to press ctrl-alt-delete and look at the "process" tab.

CyberShadow
30 Dec 2007, 04:20
If it only happens when you use Alcohol 120% or whatever, then it's not a problem with W:A. Since that program is supposed to emulate a CD drive, and W:A doesn't hang on real CD drives, why did you think it's a bug in W:A?

franpa
30 Dec 2007, 05:27
because W:A should say "Oh dear, you don't seem to have the W:A CD inserted."

CyberShadow
30 Dec 2007, 06:49
"I short-circuited some hardware inside my computer and Windows hung. It's obviously a problem with Windows!"

SgtFusion
30 Dec 2007, 19:06
Maybe Alcohol 120% fooled WA into thinking there was some kind of CD in the drive, but WA couldn't find the necessary files to start...
EDIT: Anyway, why the heck do you think this needs to be "fixed"? If WA is not mounted on the virtual drive (or any drive), then obviously the program is not going to start properly (if at all).

Extremist2
30 Dec 2007, 22:50
Here's an idea. Use a real disk and drive instead of a virtual disk and drive.

SgtFusion
30 Dec 2007, 23:34
I doubt it's a problem with WA or Alcohol 120%, because I've played WA using Alcohol 120% to mount images of the CD, and it worked well. His computer could be having a problem with the image of WA that he made.

franpa
31 Dec 2007, 00:46
did you follow my steps exactly SgtFusion? if you want a better example then... mount the image then untick the Axcmd in msconfig to stop it starting with windows and then reboot and try W:A :)

SgtFusion
31 Dec 2007, 01:42
Either way, it can't be a problem with WA, because I have used Alcohol 120% and that never happened. Maybe it's a problem with what you are doing. Anyway, why do you not want it to start up with Windows?

Wormetti
31 Dec 2007, 04:25
Here's an idea. Use a real disk and drive instead of a virtual disk and drive.

That's a bad idea. Virtual disks are much faster, won't wear out as quickly and are much easier to keep in the virtual drive at all times.

ok, make a image of your Worms Armageddon CD and mount it on your alcohol 120% Virtual Drive

I use daemon tools and if I don't have the WA image mounted, it just says to insert the cd. Do you have a real cd drive in the system? I'm just curious what WA would do if it couldn't find any cd drives.

franpa
31 Dec 2007, 08:01
of course i do... how else would i make a cd image without a cd? yes SgtFusion, if the image is mounted on alcohols virtual drive then no problem occurs. the problem occurs when the image is not loaded under certain conditions in alcohol 120%... ill probably send alcohol a message about it.

franpa
19 Apr 2008, 04:48
If your running Windows Xp Home sp2 follow these steps to recreate this bug.

1) Create A partition dedicated to W:A
2) Install W:A to the partition
3) Make A CD image of your W:A disc using Alcohol 120% (latest version)
4) Mount the CD image on a Alcohol 120% virtual drive
5) Run W:A and play a game if you want
6) Format your windows partition (the one with windows on it) [NOTE: This will delete/erase/remove windows and everything on that partition from your computer so only follow this guide if you really want to.]
7) Reinstall Windows and all your drivers
8) Run W:A and it will consume on average 20% CPU usage and create distorted noise and will not start nor will it ask for a CD. the only way to know it is running is via Task Manager and the sound it generates.

A bug is A bug, no matter how obscure or pointless it is :P

[UFP]Ghost
19 Apr 2008, 05:16
No one is saying it's not a bug it's simply an unimportant one that doesn't need fixing. Similar to if a bug was:

1) Select the bazooka
2) Select the sheep
3) Select the homing pigeon
4) before the homing pigeon blows up type: "CyberShadow sucks"
5) An error pops up saying "You suck"

no-one is actually going to have a problem with the bug and if they do it's their own fault for typing that (or not putting a cd in your drive or virtual drive).

CyberShadow
19 Apr 2008, 08:58
If your running Windows Xp Home sp2 follow these steps to recreate this bug.

1) Create A partition dedicated to W:A
2) Install W:A to the partition
3) Make A CD image of your W:A disc using Alcohol 120% (latest version)
4) Mount the CD image on a Alcohol 120% virtual drive
5) Run W:A and play a game if you want
6) Format your windows partition (the one with windows on it)
7) Reinstall Windows and all your drivers
8) Run W:A and it will consume on average 20% CPU usage and create distorted noise and will not start nor will it ask for a CD. the only way to know it is running is via Task Manager and the sound it generates.

A bug is A bug, no matter how obscure or pointless it is :P
This makes as much sense as saying that W:A is buggy because there's bad weather in San Marino.

pokeman
19 Apr 2008, 18:14
This makes as much sense as saying that W:A is buggy because there's bad weather in San Marino.
More like, "A power surge corrupted some of the WA data, now when I try to play it, it freezes instead of telling me that the data is corrupt!!"

now tell Alcohol 120% to NOT auto mount the virtual drives on windows startup

This is your problem. It has to do with the way virtual drives work and the way windows knows what CD is in the drive. From what I have experienced, when you close a CD drive, Windows caches (stores) the CD's Icon, name, and file system. Windows clears this cache when the CD drive is opened. What happened was that Alcahol told windows that the drive was opened, then closed. Windows found the WA CD in it and cached the info. After the re-boot, Alcahol did not start the Virtual drive, nor did it give windows the "drive was opened" signal. Windows still thinks that the WA CD is still in the drive because it was never opened. WA starts, askes if there is a CD titled "WA" in a drive, Windows, based on the cache, says "yes" (this is why WA doesn't say "please insert CD"). WA then asks Windows for a file from that drive, Windows uses the cached file system to access that part of the CD that isn't really there in the drive that does't really exist. Thus, all hell breaks loose.

Ghost;645344']
1) Select the bazooka
2) Select the sheep
3) Select the homing pigeon
4) before the homing pigeon blows up type: "CyberShadow sucks"
5) An error pops up saying "You suck"

:eek: NO WAY!!! Did he really put that in?? I gotta try that!

Melon
20 Apr 2008, 10:24
Here, I'll see if I can recreate this bug by following the steps.

*formats Windows*

OH CRAP I JUST LOST EVERYTHING!!!! THIS MUST CLEARLY BE A BUG!

franpa
20 Apr 2008, 14:57
No, not knowing what formating does and performing a format >.< is just stupidity. pokeman provides a good theory/explanation which i am content with for now.

KRD
20 Apr 2008, 14:59
1) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.
2) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.
3) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.
4) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.
5) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.
6) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.
7) Never follow any sort of steps Franpa suggests you follow.

franpa
20 Apr 2008, 15:12
there, I added a note about that step.

Plasma
20 Apr 2008, 19:37
No, not knowing what formating does and performing a format >.< is just stupidity.
The Irony is strong with this one.

franpa
21 Apr 2008, 05:50
i don't follow you guys o_O

EDIT: Pokeman's explanation matches every case i encountered except the one i mention in post #12. in that case there can't be a cache of the CD drive information.

SgtFusion
21 Apr 2008, 08:04
As far as I can tell, this thread is pointless. There is no problem except with what you were doing with Alcohol 120%, so this thread should therefore be locked.

franpa
21 Apr 2008, 08:45
but post #12 points out a issue with the CD detection... the disc must be cached in W:A somehow...

Squirminator2k
22 Apr 2008, 16:29
But the problem isn't with WA - it's Alcohol 120%. Stop wasting everyone's time with your not-quite-a-glitch glitches.

Plasma
22 Apr 2008, 21:54
but post #12 points out a issue with the CD detection... the disc must be cached in W:A somehow...
Tell me, Franpa: how many people in the world do you think are actually going to be really muffed because they can't play W:A using a Virtural Drive directly after they format and re-install Windows?

franpa
23 Apr 2008, 05:36
Uh, no one because they should have a IQ high enough to realize there is no virtual drive. however, the person might forget to put the CD in and when they go to run it it will not say the "no cd error" thus leaving them stumped for some time till they realize there mistake... sure they may reinstall the virtual drive and get it working that way but then the person could assume that the problem is W:A not properly checking your CD drives and only checking the virtual drive properly.

Squirminator2k
23 Apr 2008, 05:39
And they'd be assuming incorrectly. Why should Deadcode and Cybershadow cater to peoples' ignorance?

franpa
23 Apr 2008, 05:44
Everyone overlooks something in there life... If you get a virus or something and you need to reinstall windows and then after you install msn messenger someone wants to play you in W:A, you may forget to get the disc (forgetting the game needs a disc :P).

SgtFusion
23 Apr 2008, 06:05
Who would be stupid enough to forget that W:A needs a disc?

franpa
23 Apr 2008, 07:06
Someone that has used a virtual drive for years and never ever had to touch there virtual drives during said time after they mounted the W:A image..

bonz
23 Apr 2008, 12:09
Franpa, this has absolutely nothing to do with WA.

You delete your Windows partition, thus deleting your virtual CD drive from where WA was installed from.
Now you want WA to automatically recognize that and search for the CD in a different location, in this case the original disk in a real CD drive?

What else do you want?
That WA installs all your programs after the formatting of Windows and cooks you a healthy meal?

franpa
23 Apr 2008, 15:26
W:A shouldnt cache the last known location of the game Disc. It shouldnt check the virtual drive because W:A should check what drives are available prior to checking for the disc and try all locations the disc might be found at. I never mentioned anything about W:A installing anything else.

Squirminator2k
23 Apr 2008, 16:44
Franpa, stop. Please. I'm begging you. We're begging you. This is NOT a WA problem.

volcane
23 Apr 2008, 17:03
Franpa, stop. Please. I'm begging you. We're begging you. This is NOT a WA problem.

I'm closing this thread as its not a WA problem, the game was not designed to operate on imaging software so when something goes wrong relating to this it is... Not a WA problem.