PDA

View Full Version : Worms with hats.

Worminetor
22 Dec 2007, 08:09
Ok, I thought I can do it by myself... But I was wrong. I think it's good idea to run again the changing sprites project. I would really appreciate if someone helped me. At least, if someone has no skills (belive me, You don't have to) could check the ready sprites to find bugs. There are so many sprites to edit, that I can't check all and fix them.
This is a file called GFX1.dir (http://rapidshare.com/files/78159426/GFX1.DIR). All You got to do is to put it in the WA\Data\Gfx (remember to make backup of existing there Gfx1 file).
Tell me how do You like this idea. And to continue this project or not.

Run
22 Dec 2007, 10:48
why would anyone want to put hats on their worms

Worminetor
22 Dec 2007, 11:02
That's why I'm asking comunity, I wanna know what do You think about this idea. If all votes gonna be for "no" I will close this thread and forget about it.

Run
22 Dec 2007, 12:51
oh well in that case

no

Muzer
22 Dec 2007, 18:05
How do you manage to edit gfx1? Which program do you use? I can use the Sprite Editor for gfx.dir, but that doesn't work for the other two.

Hakfinn
22 Dec 2007, 21:31
Can anyone make the image with this and paste here? ;)

Worminetor
23 Dec 2007, 01:07
How do you manage to edit gfx1? Which program do you use? I can use the Sprite Editor for gfx.dir, but that doesn't work for the other two.
Oh, right. You can't edit gfx1.dir file. I exacly dunno why. I edited gfx.dir and renamed it to gfx1, because there are more file in it than in gfx.
Can anyone make the image with this and paste here?
Here You go Hakfinn. :)

Muzer
23 Dec 2007, 09:56
You're doing pretty well. There was an attempt a while back to include forumers into WA, you can see it by searching for WA Forum Style with a forum search. BTW, a better way of doing it is rather than renaming which could cause problems, it's best to delete gfx0.dir and gfx1.dir and leave the (edited) gfx.dir. It still works absolutely fine, and has the added bonus that you can be on any of the two colour schemes for it to work.

BigBilly
23 Dec 2007, 11:13
hahahaha, worm with vader hat XD
I like the idea :)

bonz
23 Dec 2007, 11:22
Alien King's "Worms Forum Style (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20591)"

Worminetor
23 Dec 2007, 14:26
Alien King's "Worms Forum Style (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20591)"
Thanks guys, but I know this thread allready. It gave me inspirations to start new project. I hope we will finish this one :) and hope You will help me with it.
If You won't rename gfx file to gfx1 You won't get red rope. There is a file named "colours.img" and it can't be loaded from GFX.dir .

Shadowmoon
23 Dec 2007, 14:57
Worminetor, are you making a program that allows you to have hats on your worms? if you are, then i like the idea! i always thought Worms Armageddon should have some hats for the worms.

Worminetor
23 Dec 2007, 16:30
Worminetor, are you making a program that allows you to have hats on your worms? if you are, then i like the idea! i always thought Worms Armageddon should have some hats for the worms.
Yes, I'm going to make program, where You could choose between other hats, caps, helmets, suits maybe. And maybe some day it will be possible to give other hat each team. But now we must give these hats for all sprites with worms in the game. So... who wants to help me? :)

Shadowmoon
23 Dec 2007, 17:18
Good luck with that. I beleive quite a lot of people will definitely download the progam when it is finished. Or then again, they might not. But i will definitely get it when its finished.

AndrewTaylor
23 Dec 2007, 17:51
Yes, I'm going to make program, where You could choose between other hats, caps, helmets, suits maybe. And maybe some day it will be possible to give other hat each team. But now we must give these hats for all sprites with worms in the game. So... who wants to help me? :)

Do you think there's a way to use different sprites for different teams? My instinct would be "no", and I notice in the screenshow you posted all the uphill-facing worms have caps, downhill-facing ones are red, and the horizonatal ones have helmets.

robowurmz
24 Dec 2007, 12:12
Maybe in about 10 years, once 4.0 is finished...

Worminetor
25 Dec 2007, 11:57
"soooooooo... is anyone gonna actually help me out here?"

knkn
25 Dec 2007, 23:39
I'm all for it. I don't think it'd be that hard to customize wa - a little bit easier. We have team flags, a few colors, and names, but how bout a wider color selection [we have 96 or something right?] we could make team backgrounds instead of the ones that come with the terrain. We could change the stars to anything we want. Customize the frontend easier - all leads up to customizing worms in ways like this. Goodjob mate.

Mr.Bad
26 Dec 2007, 07:46
very nice idea to make really old game looks new! I am hardly understand how to edit sprites, but i want to try this hack.

Plasma
26 Dec 2007, 12:03
...I'm gonna vote 'no' on this one. If it was something where you could give each team individual sprites, then I'd go for a definite yes; but it's not. It's just changing the sprites a little, and I'm fine with the origional.

Worminetor
26 Dec 2007, 13:27
Knkn: Deadcode is working at True Colour W:A, where You could edit all graphics much easier. But don't expect that it will be ready in 3 years or even more. I guess.
very nice idea to make really old game looks new! I am hardly understand how to edit sprites, but i want to try this hack.
I'm glad You like it. It isn't so hard to edit sprites... PM me if You wanna help, I'll send You some files and instructions.

...I'm gonna vote 'no' on this one. If it was something where you could give each team individual sprites, then I'd go for a definite yes; but it's not. It's just changing the sprites a little, and I'm fine with the origional.
I'd really like to see individual sprites each team. I think that's really possible to do it. There are no chances for me to become a one of beta programers, so we are "addicted" from Deadcode. Now I wanna have 4 different (bloody worm, helmet worm, worm with cap, normal worm and maybe others soon) files with sprites.

Xover
28 Dec 2007, 12:45
I like the idea, but it should end up as something, where you can choose the outfit of every worm in your team. I was always dreaming of an option like that.

yakuza
28 Dec 2007, 13:07
I'm all for it. I don't think it'd be that hard to customize wa - a little bit easier. We have team flags, a few colors, and names, but how bout a wider color selection [we have 96 or something right?] we could make team backgrounds instead of the ones that come with the terrain. We could change the stars to anything we want. Customize the frontend easier - all leads up to customizing worms in ways like this. Goodjob mate.

The frontend is already easy to customize, even with paint.

Muzer
28 Dec 2007, 15:53
The only problem is the pallette, which stupidly overcomplicates things.

Squirminator2k
28 Dec 2007, 17:07
...and I notice in the screenshow you posted all the uphill-facing worms have caps, downhill-facing ones are red, and the horizonatal ones have helmets.

I'd noticed this too. My first thought when I saw the screenshot was "Oh, that's a fairly unconvincing Photoshop/MSPaint effort."

force123
30 Dec 2007, 11:53
i'm super duper all for it !!
i was always thinking about changing worms , like changing the color of worms !
i mean a team choose its own worm colors, changing the PINK ! black worms, blue worms.. maybe pink with red dots worms.. givin texture to worms..
now i like the hat idea. but i guess the success appears when you could make all options for each team...

i'm a php programmer, don't know anything about games. but if i can help , sign me in !

DedOK
30 May 2008, 16:05
Worminetor, or somebody else could you reload your mod, plz:)

Dradly
31 May 2008, 20:02
This looks like a very good idea! It would be crazy with new texture or sprites! ps: the link for the file don't work... :/
Keep the good work!

jsgnext
9 Jun 2008, 02:45
i insist that photo is a ingame screenshot of ur sprites in action...or u edited a normal screenshot with photoshop(i meant the first one)

Muzer
10 Jun 2008, 17:23
i insist that photo is a ingame screenshot of ur sprites in action...or u edited a normal screenshot with photoshop(i meant the first one)
It is, but see the following quote:
Do you think there's a way to use different sprites for different teams? My instinct would be "no", and I notice in the screenshow you posted all the uphill-facing worms have caps, downhill-facing ones are red, and the horizonatal ones have helmets.

tehceech
11 Jun 2008, 02:17
hats

Double facepalm
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8062/facepalm2sn8.jpg

Squirminator2k
11 Jun 2008, 02:18
http://stuff.benpaddon.co.uk/shadowmoon.png

For the entire thread. Including my posts.

Benjamin
28 Jun 2008, 06:14
I have had that idea too. I would like to download it when it's done.

Squirminator2k
28 Jun 2008, 20:11
Benjamin, this is entirely fake. There is no "Worms with hats" mod.

Melon
28 Jun 2008, 20:57
Benjamin, this is entirely fake. There is no "Worms with hats" mod.
Actually, it probably isn''t. I don't know if it has been done, but replacing the sprite file is easy enough to do.

Notice how in the screenshot the type of hat the worm wears depends entirely upon which direction he's facing, and whether he's on an uphill slope, downhill slope, or no slope.

More specifically, you alter these 6 sprites:
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wbrth1.gif
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wbrth1d.gif
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wbrth1u.gif
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wbrth2.gif
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wbrth2d.gif
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wbrth2u.gif

And in case you were thinking it, yes, it really would look terrible.

EDIT: I just re-read the thread, and I guess you already knew this. Making it so each team has different hats is currently impossible, but I guess you knew that too.

Squirminator2k
28 Jun 2008, 21:00
The problem with the screenshot is that each worm wearing a particular hat is in exactly the same breathing position. The worms don't breathe in unison - even at the start of the game there is, I believe, a one-frame descrespency between each worm as they were rendered in order.

And besides, having a different hat for each different facing position is ruddy stupid.

bonz
28 Jun 2008, 21:27
That mod does exist and it has indeed different hats for different animated sprites, which is quite useless as you suddenly don't recognize your own worms easily.

Plasma
28 Jun 2008, 23:48
And I know from experience that trying to add the same hat to all sprites (so that all worms in the game would have the same hat) is VERY hard to do, because the worms move too much.

Worminetor
30 Jun 2008, 13:42
Hi again!
I'm glad that someone refreshed this thread. I almost forgot about this project. I had to stop it because there were no helpers :| (People who wanted to help gave it up quickly or had other reasons... ( For example force123 got banned (!) ).
Anyway i don't think there is sense to finish it. In the days of Hedgewars, where it propably gonna be much easier to change animations...
There is a chance that W:A gonna turn in 32bit colour game, so there won't be any palletes borders and maybe, but maybe I'll return to this project...
And to those, who think it's a fake... It's not. I just wanted to show how it would like when there were many hats in game, so I pasted all 3 different animations with worms with hats to Gfx, but game still used one Gfx file. I've got 3 different Gfx files with different hats. But now it's impossible to use them all in game at once.
Maybe in future...

PS. Sorry for all stylistic mistakes.

doubletime
1 Jul 2008, 12:39
I love it i want it make many hats and let clans order hats to be in