PDA

View Full Version : Worms Armageddon Memories

Morgoth
16 Dec 2007, 22:44
I don't play videogames anymore , because I do not find any interest to play them. Of course if I had a PS3 and a FFVII remake was out, I would play it . However I do not play games except on some occasions a WA game .

So talk about how you got into this game and how old you were when you first played it, do you have any good memories of it etc.

I played it when I was like 11 and I liked it. I had the demo which I had almost destroyed from use. It only had 2 platforms and I loved the fruity one. I still like that landscape.
I used to play with friends , and it was fun. Later in like, 2002 WWP fell on my hands and I melted the game. I played it so much. I also used to make platforms which I imported, never knowing that I could play them online with WA.
I met a friend online with WA too.

bonz
17 Dec 2007, 13:12
I joined the wonderful world of Worms in 1996 with W1 which we played a lot in computer classes when I was 14.

A year later I got W2 and was totally hooked. That's the game I have the fondest memories of.
I had no internet connection back then (not until late 2000 when I went to university), so I had no idea of the early online community of W2. I only briefly visited the old W2 page.

Then came WA, which I played the demo a lot at school in my final year at school.
I only had the full game borrowed from a friend for a few days and totally forgot about Worms after that.

Until late 2000/early 2001 when I already had internet connection and heard about WWP, which finally introduced me into Worms online gaming.
I briefly played WA at that time too, but the many bugs on Win2K (especially the nuke bug) made me stay with WWP.

Until 2002 when the first beta update was released.
The rest is history.

Shockdude
17 Dec 2007, 21:45
started playing w2 when i was four or so...
later got all the worms demos available online, got a copy of wwp from a friend, and managed to get other worms games as well
:p

asylumjim
18 Dec 2007, 22:48
In 2000 my friend bought WA for the N64, that is where it all started for me. The next title was WWP, we loaded a bunch of computers all over school with the demo and played lan games during class. Of course that didnt last much more then a month after till we got caught. I bought WWP for the GBA but that wasn't good enough to keep me interested long(I hated that you couldnt save any progress.)
But then Worms 3D came out on PS2 and rebooted my worms desire,and also got my sister interested in the series so I bought her WA for the PC(this is about when I joined this forum.) I ended up playing it way more then she did so I took it back. I thought I was a good player till I got on WormNet and found out that I wasnt s**t and was blown any by what people could do with the ninja rope...from then till now--I bought Forts when it came out, was all p***ed of when Mayhem didnt come out on PS2, was grateful when WOW1 came out on PSP for a good portable worms, counted the days till WOW2 came out to play online--and in between still played WA on PC learning and loving roping games, and loving the challenge base games.
Now Im looking forward to seeing the new Wii worms game and enjoying WA will waiting for the mythical 4.0 patch. I will always have WA on any computer I'll ever have.

SgtFusion
19 Dec 2007, 01:07
I first played Worms: Armageddon in December 2000 (when I was 11, turning 12 the next month) when we borrowed it from our uncle. We played until past 1:00am. But that CD got broken, and I didn't have WA again until I came to the USA, although I did have Worms 2 (this was the second worms game I played). I like Worms 2 for all its weapon editing capabilities, and I like Worms:Armageddon for all the other features, plus the features that the Beta Updates have added.

[UFP]Ghost
19 Dec 2007, 04:27
one of my old schools teachers brought his laptop and was playing this strange game with these strange weapons. I had to find out about it. And well I bought it and been playing ever since.

SithlordDK
19 Dec 2007, 13:53
Playing Worms since the Amiga Demo (in 1994... i think?) :)

Zauren
20 Jan 2008, 03:33
I've had quite an illustrious worming career, and it's probably been my best online community memories. And I've had a lot, including MMORPGs. I found the demo looking for Scorched Earth before the game was released, not sure when it was but well over a decade ago, and got it preordered for my birthday. I must have played Worms for ages.

I missed Worms 2, which is an awful shame since I remember looking at the box in a store. Worms Armageddon though I also got the day it came out. It was great back then, although people pulling the plug to avoid losing rank really ruined the feature. I got sucked into pro roping's upper clique, somehow became friends with a couple of the premier website owners, and designed many private BattleRace and retardedly difficult RopeRace maps. My nick was Lkaro back then I think... pretty sure.

After summer ended so did Worms Arma, and I didn't visit it until Wormnet was much... reduced. Turned off by it, Worms World Party rekinkled hope that didn't stay, and my nostalgia for the Good Ole Days incited years of neglect.

I found the CD a week ago in a box, popped it in, and came back to find it updated and a lot more people around. Although I'm still sad that Shoppers have overtaken Propers. My old friends would be spinning in their graves. xD

Cravin
28 Jan 2008, 01:23
. My old friends would be spinning in their graves. xD

lol your friends died?

HeroHolger
29 Jan 2008, 17:07
a good friend of me showed me an ugly looking game called Worms2 in 1998. I wasn't impressed of it at the first sight. i played it just for him cos he ask me for a challenge. ok...the game has still the same graphic but it makes Worms-addicted. :-)

2 games of Worms can change your live .-)

yakuza
29 Jan 2008, 17:26
Ghost;628728']old schools teachers

what was his nick? I'm pretty sure I'll remember him from the good 'ol rank days.

SilPho
29 Jan 2008, 20:13
a good friend of me showed me an ugly looking game called Worms2

I really like the graphical style of the 2nd gen 2D Worms games. Wouldn't call them ugly at all. (I would for the original, but they made the most of their hardware so it's fair enough)

[UFP]Ghost
29 Jan 2008, 23:40
what was his nick? I'm pretty sure I'll remember him from the good 'ol rank days.

I have no idea

BigBilly
30 Jan 2008, 20:43
I played a demo @ 2000 from WA, which was included in a Game Star magazine.
I RAN to the the next shop and buyed it :D
To bad, i had no internet these days... i played it some months offline and the game left in some corner of my room.
In 2005 i got internet and i refind the WA CD. So i gaved it a try and since then i cannot stop playing it sometimes :D

Oooohh, and a little information by the way. My nickname doesnt comes from the Big Billy circus award! :D

interesting ye?

topraman51
2 Feb 2008, 01:03
Me and my friend played Worms 2 together all the time when we were in elementary school. Recently I have been looking for a game that I can play in short bursts(on school days I have minimal game-playing time), and I was shocked to find out that Worms Armageddon still has an active community. I ordered the Worms 2/Worms Armageddon pack, and I can't wait till it comes.

bonz
2 Feb 2008, 14:59
I was shocked to find out that Worms Armageddon still has an active community. I ordered the Worms 2/Worms Armageddon pack, and I can't wait till it comes.
You did the right thing, young padawan.

topraman51
3 Feb 2008, 07:58
You did the right thing, young padawan.

Actually, now that I've played online, I'm pretty disappointed. Almost everyone plays "shoppa." What do people have against a standard game of Worms? Seems like a lot more fun to me. I guess I'll be playing mostly offline.

franpa
3 Feb 2008, 09:46
whats your name while "online"?

BigBilly
3 Feb 2008, 14:10
Actually, now that I've played online, I'm pretty disappointed. Almost everyone plays "shoppa." What do people have against a standard game of Worms? Seems like a lot more fun to me. I guess I'll be playing mostly offline.

Just host your own game and play normal there.
In WA are still many ppl who play normal games :)

Dario
3 Feb 2008, 14:15
In fact nowadays you will see more normal games than a year ago.

topraman51
3 Feb 2008, 21:29
In fact nowadays you will see more normal games than a year ago.

Yeah, actually I played a normal game recently. Other than the fact that the turn time was set to one second, it was pretty normal. :D

But I'm over my initial disappointment, because roping is pretty fun. It just isn't what I expected Worms online to be.

yakuza
3 Feb 2008, 23:28
Yeah, actually I played a normal game recently. Other than the fact that the turn time was set to one second, it was pretty normal. :D

But I'm over my initial disappointment, because roping is pretty fun. It just isn't what I expected Worms online to be.

It really depends were you look, public games in #AG are usually the complete opposite of what competitive games are. Here are the League stats of XTC League of last two months I believe:
Scheme:Games played

Roper:1585
RopeRace:720
Team17:558
Elite/Pro:1462
TTRR:590
BnG:155
Shopper:0
WXW:566
Misc:3

See? Elite/Pro is pretty damn popular, although 99% of those games were Elite since Pro is not that popular.

BigBilly
4 Feb 2008, 15:22
Shopper:0

True? 0o
Cant be :-O

Shirdel
4 Feb 2008, 15:43
If it was from Season 3, then that is wrong. I played a Shoppa with Messir: And won! :D
EDIT: I'm not a n00b, I just wanted to play Shoppa then.
Yeah, actually I played a normal game recently. Other than the fact that the turn time was set to one second, it was pretty normal. What you played was called a Hysteria. Though it is a normal-based game.
public games in #AG nowadays are usually the complete opposite of what competitive games then what they were in the past. Right, so all the pros nowadays are n00bs because it was more competitive 3 or 4 years ago..... So that would mean Big Billy only just started playing.