PDA

View Full Version : color bug?

Akuryou13
14 Dec 2007, 16:24
just got my copy of W:A today so that I can enjoy myself some old school wormin again. I installed the game just fine and everything is working well. I installed what I believe is the latest beta update, which is the one linked on the sticky in here. I ran the game and played through a couple of the training missions to get the hang of things again, and the game started to put the menu in inverted colors (as in everything was pink and green and such). this wasn't too big a deal since it was just the menu screens and the game itsself was working fine, but then when I completed the normal training and went to the super sheep training the in-game colors were inverted. I exited the training and tried it again and it worked just fine, though.

I'm using a custom resolution of 1680x1050 and I'm running the game in Windows Vista. my rig is as follows (from my xfire page):
Manufacturer: Custom
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2044MB RAM
Hard Drive: 370 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Monitor: Acer 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Speakers/Headphones: Sicuro 5.1 Gaming Speakers
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205) (may have updated the version of windows since I last reported this)

if this problem has already been discussed to death and I just didn't see it due to my lack of ability to sift through tons of pages of the update thread; just link me the solution, call me an idiot, and we'll move on with our lives :p

bonz
14 Dec 2007, 16:35
Most likely you have a program running that is stealing the game's focus, thus messing up the palleted colors (as opposed to your desktop's true color).

It probably is some tool that has an "always on top" or "floating" feature enabled.
E.g. messenger programs, Winamp, etc. Stardock's Object desktop seems to cause the same.

pokeman
14 Dec 2007, 18:22
Next time the colors get messed up, minimize (Esc -> minimize in-game, click bottom right pixel at any menu), look for any system tray balloon popups, messages, or programs, then restore the game.

franpa
15 Dec 2007, 00:39
virus scanners updating can cause this too.

Akuryou13
15 Dec 2007, 02:27
windows uses the widgets, and I have those open (though not always on top), so I'll check to see if possibly that's the problem. short of that I'll start alt+tabbing to see if anything else is trying to say something. thanks for the tips guys.

franpa
15 Dec 2007, 09:50
ive now got a 8800gt and it works W:A fine >.>

Muzer
15 Dec 2007, 11:37
In WA's root directory, is there a file called "palette.log"? If there is, open it, it contains a log of program names that steal the palette. Then you can shut down the program whilst running WA, or turn its always on top feature off.

bonz
15 Dec 2007, 13:23
click bottom right pixel at any menu
Any bottom pixel will do.
I'll start alt+tabbing
Don't do that.
Alt+Tab doesn't work properly when you restore the game.

Always use the minimize function in the escape menu if you're in a game or click on the very bottom of any of the menu screens.
If you need to switch back to the game, IIRC, it's advisibly to click on the tab, rather than pressing alt+tab.

Akuryou13
15 Dec 2007, 14:11
Any bottom pixel will do.

Don't do that.
Alt+Tab doesn't work properly when you restore the game.

Always use the minimize function in the escape menu if you're in a game or click on the very bottom of any of the menu screens.
If you need to switch back to the game, IIRC, it's advisibly to click on the tab, rather than pressing alt+tab.yeah, Alt+Tab wasn't working at all, so the bottom pixel thing worked just fine. with the short test I just conducted that seemed to work, but I'll let you guys know if anything changes,

Akuryou13
15 Dec 2007, 15:34
seems that I can apparently minimize the game once and only once. if I try to do it a second time, the screen remains black when it comes back up. the color issue isn't effected by the "gadgets" panel being closed or not apparently.

so no idea at this point. anyone else know what I could try to help the issue?

bonz
15 Dec 2007, 15:43
so no idea at this point. anyone else know what I could try to help the issue?
Well, you can always start the trial-and-error routine.
Shut down one task after the other and trying minimizing and restoring after each step.
If it starts working, the application you closed last might be the culprit.
That is if it's not a combination of two or more programs that is causing issues.

Once you found an evil-doer, check its options and settings to see if you can disable something.
A Google search might help if other people have similar problems.

CyberShadow
15 Dec 2007, 16:40
Alt+Tabbing when in a game now should work properly.

Akuryou13
16 Dec 2007, 00:45
Alt+Tabbing when in a game now should work properly.isn't working on my comp. have you tested it on Vista yet? or is it just a unique problem for me?

and as for the trial and error, I can only minimize once. I'd have to load the game and play through a match each time I minimize.

franpa
16 Dec 2007, 02:31
Alt+Tabbing when in a game now should work properly.

as i suspected >.>

i've known others with the one time minimize issue in vista.

Akuryou13
19 Dec 2007, 03:49
yep, it's continuing the Minimization bug. can't seem to minimize more than once or maybe twice before the game just doesn't load back when I try to maximize it again.

franpa
19 Dec 2007, 04:22
perhaps similar to the issue where it would randomly crash in-game for me at one point? maybe something is providing input to the frontend while it is not active.

Akuryou13
19 Dec 2007, 09:27
just got the color/minimize error again and I got a message saying the game had messed up and to check the errorlog file, so I'm going to go ahead and upload that file here in hopes that it'll help fix the issue....

....ok, it's 200KB, can anyone tell me where I can host that?

franpa
19 Dec 2007, 11:37
compress it? winzip?

Akuryou13
19 Dec 2007, 12:39
compress it? winzip?why do I never think of that.....

and btw, I found out that the crashes when re-maximizing were apparently caused by having a custom resolution. I put it back to 1024x768 and everything's working fine. color bug is still happening, but minimizing doesn't hurt me anymore

Muzer
19 Dec 2007, 17:54
Why don't you like, NOT IGNORE ALL OF MY POSTS?

In WA's root directory, is there a file called "palette.log"? If there is, open it, it contains a log of program names that steal the palette. Then you can shut down the program whilst running WA, or turn its always on top feature off.

franpa
20 Dec 2007, 00:14
it only shows the "name" of the process and not the name of the file that is stealing the focus. until the next beta is out it isn't too useful.

CyberShadow
20 Dec 2007, 01:37
Can you upload the CRASH.DMP file as well, please?

isn't working on my comp. have you tested it on Vista yet? or is it just a unique problem for me?
Someone at Microsoft decided it's better if Windows blocked Alt+Tab in W:A back when that usually meant a crash or inability to restore. That's the reason I wrote AntiKeyboardHook (the WormKit module).

Akuryou13
20 Dec 2007, 15:03
ok, here's the crash file.

Deadcode
27 Dec 2007, 05:33
I have tried figuring out the "lost palette" bug, and I think it's hopeless. I believe it to be a bug in DirectDraw.

AFAIK, there is no way to log palette garblings. I tried, and there was no correlation between what was logged and actual palette garbling events. According to W:A, the palette is intact under these circumstances; in fact if you take a screenshot, it comes out perfect.

I think the only way I could figure out this bug would be to place debugger breakpoints within DirectDraw itself, and maybe other parts of the API as well... and generally improvise in other ways, delving deeply with an assembly-language debugger.

We will be switching W:A to truecolor at some point, which will of course abolish all palette-related bugs and problems once and for all.

Olandese
6 Jan 2008, 17:09
i was also experiencing (inversion of) color problem on my XP SP2 pc, with WA 3.6.28.0 beta. I discovered that the problem was because of google sidebar. Shutting it down and start WA is going again good.

BeeDead
20 Jan 2008, 12:01
I have this same error with colors. Nothing correct this problem. I have Vista Home Premium and ATI 3870 card, latest WA patch. This bug is very random, sometimes exist in every game, sometimes everything works fine.
In XP SP2 this bug don't exist, so i think is connected with VISTA.
Please , please help me!!!:(
PS. When i take screenshot (print secreen) is also corrupted when colour bug exist.

SgtFusion
20 Jan 2008, 18:49
You aren't supposed to take screenshots in WA with Print Screen. That will give you a corrupted image even without the colour bug. Press the "Pause/Break" key on your keyboard to get a screenshot. This bug of yours may or may not be connected with Vista, because I've had the same bug a few times (that is, WA's palette would get stolen by another program, corrupting all of the colours) and I use Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Considering what DeadCode has said a few posts up, I don't think this will be fixed before the switch to true colour (or at least for quite a while).

Muzer
20 Jan 2008, 19:21
Try minimising and restoring. Make sure you use the games minimise option (Esc + Minimise) rather than alt+tab or windows.

SilPho
20 Jan 2008, 20:21
Is this the kind of colour bug under Vista that is fixed by running worms from the installation directory and then leaving that directory open?

I know that sounds like an incredibly strange solution to those who haven't heard it before, but it has worked for someone I know personally so who knows, give it a try if you haven't already. :)

CyberShadow
20 Jan 2008, 20:41
That trick works for me too, and I don't know why it works.

bonz
21 Jan 2008, 19:12
You need to leave one window open, so Microsoft can peek through it to spy on you.

SilPho
22 Jan 2008, 20:12
Ah, so it's not a logical reason, it's a conspiracy!

Plasma
24 Jan 2008, 20:58
Ah, so it's not a logical reason, it's a conspiracy!
Actually, it's not that either. They made a public announcement that they needed to spy on people like that back in September.