PDA

View Full Version : Request for wormnet: nicks alphabetically ordered

Dario
2 Dec 2007, 21:59
Lately there I've seen a larger population of players in #AG. Whether this is because of more people using the snooper or because there are actually more players doesn't really matter, the issue is that it gets harder and harder to locate a specific nickname in the players list.
So, if it isn't much of a problem, why not to list the nicks alphabetically like in most chat channels?, it really helps.

GrimOswald
3 Dec 2007, 00:30
In my experience most chat channels list them in order of arrival. Hmm. :-/

Not that that means what you suggest is not a good idea. Indeed, I support it, providing it is a simple change to make. There HAVE been a lot of people in Wormnet recently, and it would make things SQUIRRELS a bit easier.

franpa
3 Dec 2007, 03:26
make things... what?!?

im for it too, or at least mouse wheel support there but i hear thats too complicated and conflicts with using the mouse wheel in the chat area.

Melon
3 Dec 2007, 11:14
Well, I find listing new people at the top has it's advantages, but this seems like a good enough idea to me.

franpa
3 Dec 2007, 11:24
maybe have a checkbox for it in configuration... so you can enable/disable name sorting.

DarkOne
3 Dec 2007, 12:44
Nice suggestion, Dario

I'd like to personally see a bit more room for the player list though. There's a small box for the players list, while the right side of the chat box is very much unused (unless someone types a long sentence, in which case it's either pointless spam or a tournament announcement which 90% of the participants don't seem to read anyway)

GoDxWyvern
3 Dec 2007, 13:18
Or just have a click on the "Name" button above the player list do the job. It'd just keep putting new players on top, but clicking on "Name" would order them alphabetically.

bonz
3 Dec 2007, 15:18
I suppose that once the frontend gets revamped things like that can easily be added.
I'd like to see all the features from the original, official WN Snooper in there, like buddy lists, online notifications, avatars, sounds, etc.

KRD
3 Dec 2007, 20:28
A much larger problem, once you have the nicknames on WormNet sorted alphabetically, is that half the people's nicknames start with X. Another 25% start with S.

I do think having the option to sort the names alphabetically in the game's frontend would be nice, though. But it'd be so much cooler if people had to register nicknames for use on WormNet first, and any additional garbage like the xXllXllXx's and the many abbreviations of Snooper would be forbidden.

franpa
3 Dec 2007, 21:28
that isnt really a problem KRD because with some intelligence you can sort names by more then just the first letter of there nick thus allowing to bunch clan members together in the list and having them sorted alphabetically. why would clan tags be forbidden?

why would it be cooler to force registering just for this? oO

[UFP]Ghost
4 Dec 2007, 00:17
simple... new column for clan or other tag. Then you can sort by clan or alphabetical.

Dario
4 Dec 2007, 14:19
even simpler: if all the clan members wear at the begining of their nicks the same clan tag they will be listed together and in a alphabetical order.
And even if many people have an "x" at the begining of their nicks they are not that many, at this momen 7 out of 49 wormnet nicknames start with an X, and 5 with s . It is not the same trying to find "x(whatever)" in a list of 7 players than in a list of 49.
Of course we can always think about what would be the ideal system for listing nicknames, but here I just put forward what I though might be a very simple but still very useful improvement.

bonz
4 Dec 2007, 14:42
Ghost;626570']simple... new column for clan or other tag. Then you can sort by clan or alphabetical.
even simpler: if all the clan members wear at the begining of their nicks the same clan tag they will be listed together and in a alphabetical order.
And even if many people have an "x" at the begining of their nicks they are not that many, at this momen 7 out of 49 wormnet nicknames start with an X, and 5 with s . It is not the same trying to find "x(whatever)" in a list of 7 players than in a list of 49.
Of course we can always think about what would be the ideal system for listing nicknames, but here I just put forward what I though might be a very simple but still very useful improvement.
Hmm...
[UFP]Ghost only needed a single line to express the very same idea. :rolleyes:

The clan tag would of course be a separate variable that you can sort independently of the nickname.
Other variables that I could think of:

Nickname on the T17 forum
(if your desired one is unavailable or if your forum name sucks)
Favourite scheme
(you could quickly check if someone is there to play with -> no more "shoppa PLZ!!")
Favourite team colour
(could be automatically assigned to you if you are the first to join a game; otherwise the hosts choice)

Melon
4 Dec 2007, 15:12
I think a seperate clan tag could be a better idea. For example, let's say I join the NNN clan and register my name as NNNMelon, but then I fall out with them and make my own clan called Normal No NNNers. I'll need to change my name to NNNNNMelon, but I won't be able to because I've already registered my name.

KRD
4 Dec 2007, 15:20
Yeah, the clan tag should certainly be in a separate column. It simplifies everything, from clans that use different variations of the tag attached to different parts of their nickname to the procedure when joining another clan.

Also not everyone can or wants to fit a clan tag in their nickname. I for example have no room for it with the 15 character username limit.

Dario
4 Dec 2007, 17:56
Hmm...
Ghost only needed a single line to express the very same idea. :rolleyes:

I don't think you read this part of your own quoting:
Ghost;626570']new column for clan or other tag.
Emphasis on "[U]new column", while im talking about simply listing the nicks alphabetically, just a list (no new column there).

Want to make it more complex with more variables, new columns, registered nicknames, registered clans, different options of listing the nicknames, etc?. That is very good for a future big update, but I repeat: I am just talking about something that I think (I know nothing about programming though) can't take more than a few minutes of coding and still make a significant improvement in wormnet at this moment.

Keywords : simple, effective, now

raffie
5 Dec 2007, 11:57
If new columns gonna be added (meaning new variables), then what about snoopers giving a certain variable to the chat client thats saying they are snooping and therefore putting them below ACTUAL players.

bonz
5 Dec 2007, 12:20
If new columns gonna be added (meaning new variables), then what about snoopers giving a certain variable to the chat client thats saying they are snooping and therefore putting them below ACTUAL players.
Very good idea!

Although, make it the other way round: The official client (=WA itself) sends a certain variable to the server. Wormnet will be secure with encryption, so this should be no problem.
Then all in-official snoopers can be recognized automatically and sorted out to the bottom of the list.

KRD
5 Dec 2007, 12:45
Why would anyone need unofficial Snoopers if the plan is to make the WA frontend run windowed, have a buddy list and naturally let you join games through it? In the long run, I mean. Other than in perhaps one of the channels, the one intended for chat only, should it ever actually get used, wouldn't it be wise to disallow them?

Don't forget, all those Snooper people in #AG are technically still breaking a very clearly put rule in WormNet's MotD. The punishment is death by injected glass shards a temporary IP ban.

bonz
5 Dec 2007, 13:41
Why would anyone need unofficial Snoopers if the plan is to make the WA frontend run windowed, have a buddy list and naturally let you join games through it? In the long run, I mean. Other than in perhaps one of the channels, the one intended for chat only, should it ever actually get used, wouldn't it be wise to disallow them?

Don't forget, all those Snooper people in #AG are technically still breaking a very clearly put rule in WormNet's MotD. The punishment is death by injected glass shards a temporary IP ban.
Your last paragraph says it:
If the new WA frontend is recognized as the only legal client by sending something encrypted to the WN server, it'll automatically recognize everything else as illegal; nd could for the first time actually really enforce that rule from the MotD.