PDA

View Full Version : How To Get WA Working On Vista

nilrem
27 Nov 2007, 16:04
This is how you can get WA to work on Vista if you have the Intel 945GM graphics chipset. All you need to do is uninstall the Vista driver and install this driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=8980&libid=6&releaseid=R153830&vercnt=5&formatcnt=0&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1
This is for a Dell Notebook but hopefully it will work, if not go to your laptop's manufacturer and try searching their site for the XP drivers.

CyberShadow
27 Nov 2007, 17:19
Someone please confirm.

bonz
28 Nov 2007, 08:00
I linked this thread in the "Stupid Intel chipsets/graphics cards" thread.

boon4376
1 Dec 2007, 18:21
This worked for me too. I have a compaq V3000 with an intel GMA 945 graphics card and it didnt work in vista until i installed the old Windows XP driver from compaq

SamGamgee
3 Dec 2007, 20:48
so Worms Armaggedon doesn't work in Vista? why the hell is that?

Melon
3 Dec 2007, 20:51
Because it was made over 8 years ago and Vista sucks?

Actually, one reason appears to be incompatable Vista graphics drivers, that no-longer care to support DirectDraw because it's "old".

CyberShadow
4 Dec 2007, 06:08
It usually works, unless you have specific hardware, and people are reporting to have found workarounds for these problems.

smiley2600
6 Dec 2007, 15:52
this fix didn't work for me i'm afraid, i think it might be because i'm not running a dell... mine's an advent 7113. i'm trying the latest xp driver to see if that works.

canofworms
8 Dec 2007, 10:03
WA works almost perfectly (minus some rendering issues on the sea and backdrop during play) on Vista on my NVIDIA card.

_ja
9 Dec 2007, 02:01
It usually works, unless you have specific hardware, and people are reporting to have found workarounds for these problems.

Could you point me toward where you saw this?
Thanks!

franpa
9 Dec 2007, 03:32
afaik it was first suggested in this thread.

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34046

mathmo
14 Dec 2007, 10:52
I have another solution for intel graphics card users, one i feel is a bit safer than borking your system with xp drivers...
if you have an old pc that ran windows 98,or probably me/nt/2000 and you still have the cd and licence details, then you can download ms virtual pc for free, install windows 98 on a virtual machine and then install worms armageddon on the virtual machine. performance for me is great, and i havent altered my vista drivers at all.
alternatively, although i havent tried this, download vmware player, also free, and a linux virtual machine. then install worms on the linux virtual box using wine following the walkthrough elsewhere on this site

in truth, i dont see why this should work, as surely the same directdraw issues would still affect the game as the graphics card must still be rendering them. but i dont really know how virtual pc works. either way, this has the game running sweetly on my pc, so im happy

CyberShadow
14 Dec 2007, 11:05
Full virtualisation software emulates all the hardware, so DirectDraw isn't actually hardware-accelerated - it's emulated. Of course, that means that the game will run slower. Running W:A under Windows XP in VMware is by my experience a lot faster than with Virtual PC, although I get some flickering with VMware. Also, you need a pretty fast PC anyway to play comfortably (esp. rope, since that needs a good frame rate).

mathmo
14 Dec 2007, 11:15
yees, but as the game ran fine back in 98, a fast pc to virtualise that is surely around 1GHz w 512 ram, which is less than anyone with the 945GM family will have anyway, as i think they only really ship with core 2 duo. i may be wrong... im c2d so its no problem for my computer, and virtualising a pc with 64M RAM and a 500 Mhz proc is no problem. virtualising it under XP would probably be more tricky, but i have no xp disc, otherwise i'd try it... :-)

another one; surely anyone running vista has at least 1G of RAM and 3GHz or so processor, otherwise theyd be so used to hangups and delays that the low fps would be no problem... I find vista a pain with a c2d and 1G RAM sometimes.

Sleeves
19 Dec 2007, 00:33
WA wont run (with beta) for me

i have the intel 965 express mobile. WA just makes the screen flicker with hints of gadgets behind before failing with a generic fail message. Error log gives me sweet merry jack.

i have the most up to date driver and am reluctant to rollback to the XP driver.

any other ideas?

Muzer
19 Dec 2007, 17:44
The point in the errorlog is to upload it so the developers can make sense of it. It's not for the eyes of non-developers. Compress and upload the errorlog.

Vicious
22 Dec 2007, 17:00
I went thru the trouble of installing Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and XP to play the game since it doesnt work right on vista for me. The game runs perfect in all ways except in game I have some very erratic mouse movements making the game unplayable. My mouse moves the screen around in ways it shouldnt and almost seems like it has the wrong dpi and a lag to it. The game runs perfect tho there is no lag and the mouse moves fine in the menus.

Anybody have this happen or know a fix? The mouse is a Logitech MX518 BTW going thru USB.

CyberShadow
22 Dec 2007, 17:46
Try looking for an option (in the virtual machine's properties) to disable mouse pointer integration. If you can't find it, you'll have to remove or disable the mouse driver installed in your VM.

Vicious
24 Dec 2007, 03:05
I have seen that option but it was greyed out, I'll look into it further, for now I am just rebooting into XP since I have dual boot. Thanks for the advice tho and I will post back at a later time to report if it worked or ask further help.

MrBunsy
24 Dec 2007, 09:50
I have seen that option but it was greyed out, I'll look into it further, for now I am just rebooting into XP since I have dual boot. Thanks for the advice tho and I will post back at a later time to report if it worked or ask further help.

Have you tried installing the Virtual Machine Additions onto the virtual copy of XP? That might clean things up a bit. (It's under the Action menu.)

CyberShadow
24 Dec 2007, 13:35
If anything would fix that, it's uninstalling Virtual Machine Additions.

MrBunsy
24 Dec 2007, 17:29

Really? It won't help at all?

madangel
25 Dec 2007, 21:10
This is how you can get WA to work on Vista if you have the Intel 945GM graphics chipset. All you need to do is uninstall the Vista driver and install this driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=8980&libid=6&releaseid=R153830&vercnt=5&formatcnt=0&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1
This is for a Dell Notebook but hopefully it will work, if not go to your laptop's manufacturer and try searching their site for the XP drivers.

is there any chance that team 17 is going to release an update for W:A anytime soon that will allow it to work on vista. I have a Dell D630 notebook with the Intel Mobile(R) 965 chipset that runs vista business, and I've tried almost every option under the sun to get it to work. for some reason when I tried to download the XP graphics drivers, I was told that my system didn't meet min. requirements, which I found to be a bit weird, but I guess it all comes back around to that thing where vista sucks. anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated, because when I sought help from TryMedia, they were the opposite of helpful. and yes, I've tried running it in MS Virtual PC 2007 and tried running it through wine in a version of ubuntu that I ran through VMWarePlayer. I really think my only remaining option is to wait for team 17 to release a patch that lets W:A work with this graphics card

Matso
1 Jan 2008, 12:47
Yeah! I got WA work in my Vista with Intel 965 graphics chipset. I only installed Win XP drivers and it work!

Only minus is that Vista's cool transparent effects do not work.

bonz
1 Jan 2008, 14:43
Only minus is that Vista's cool transparent effects do not work.
Which is a plus actually, since you now have much more free RAM to utilize for other, useful purposes.

ssj4androi
4 Jan 2008, 20:46
I tried running it in a XP virtual machine at 1680x1050, but the graphics are messed up, for one. There will be diagnal lines. Also, I have the mouse issue.
I'm using VMware as VirtualPC doesn't support 1680x1050.

ssj4androi
5 Jan 2008, 01:49
This is what I'm getting when I try to run at 1680x1050 on VMWare. Any way to fix?
http://ssj4android.googlepages.com/error.jpg

There are also blank/black frames when I set it to 640x480.
BTW, I was having mouse issues, but I solved them by "updating" the mouse driver from the VMWare driver to the generic PS/2 one. Only bad thing is that prevents the mouse from working in VNC.

CyberShadow
5 Jan 2008, 07:34
Make sure to run VMware in full screen and disable "Autofit Guest".

keysmaker
6 Jan 2008, 02:15

I have the same problem with the mouse and i tried uninstalling the addons, but unfortunately the game doesn`t works without the addons, so i got to reinstall them again

mathmo
7 Jan 2008, 11:15
if its any help, the way i set it up was

windows vista home premium
ms virtual pc 2007
ms windows 97 w virtual machine addons, disabled mouse integration, running at only 1024*764 instead of 1280*800 native but in fullscreen mode. and without the newer patch for wa.

i couldnt get it working with the higher resolution though. but i felt it was good enough just being able to play it

franpa
7 Jan 2008, 12:46
there is no "windows 97"

mathmo
7 Jan 2008, 13:04
smart chap. of course, i really meant 95.
i thought it sounded a bit funny when i wrote it...

froggart
7 Jan 2008, 15:31
how do you remove the said driver

madangel
12 Jan 2008, 05:47
okay, I know this has probably been brought up before, but for some reason, when I try to download the XP graphics drivers, it only lets me unzip the file I downloaded from the Dell support website. when it tries to execute the setup program itself, I get a message that reads "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software. setup will now exit." I'm curious as to why I'm getting this error message. if someone could please point me in the right direction, that'd be great. I'm a big fan of W:A and would really like to be able to run it on this laptop. thanks

Computer Specs
Dell Latitude D630 Notebook
Intel Centrino Duo Processor
Windows Vista Business Edition
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

franpa
12 Jan 2008, 08:09
did you install the intel chipset drivers first? try uninstalling your current display drivers.

madangel
14 Jan 2008, 01:04
did you install the intel chipset drivers first? try uninstalling your current display drivers.

still no dice

capt.dan
14 Jan 2008, 07:10
I just got a newer computer with Vista and the past two computers had vista on it and worked fine. one a Dell, Next was a HP and now a Compaq and with this one am getting a front-end error message and a security message that says deny access and I'm the admin??? what gives?? Never had a computer tell me I can't do something on MY computer!! Should I pound to gravel and get another or is there a workaround??:(

CyberShadow
14 Jan 2008, 07:32
Welcome to Vista ;)
You may need to run W:A under an administrator account. Right click the shortcut, and select "Run as Administrator". Enter a password if you set one and click "Allow".

Nekoboy
19 Jan 2008, 11:00
i have mobile intel celeron 420. how could i make wa run on my vista?

Cheltspy
20 Jan 2008, 20:18
I am also have a problem with the Intel 946GZ chipset. Is there likely to be a fix?

smiley2600
24 Jan 2008, 08:02
When I tried this my computer severely screwed up. I lost my colour system and the pc also started telling me my copy of vista was not genuine. I had to go through a very long phone process (it was free, but meh) to get my vista certified as genuine and to get it off safe mode. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Snork
25 Jan 2008, 19:29
So is there going to be a patch to fix this anytime soon? I don't have a dell laptop and I do not want to **** up my OS just to play this game.

MrBunsy
25 Jan 2008, 19:38
Pester Intel for it.

raffie
26 Jan 2008, 12:39
Okay, got a new comp, and unfortunatelly the incompatibilllity thing has finally struck me aswell. Not colour problems, but just crash to desktop everytime i start a game. Front end works fine, just when I start a game, before the 'nuclear cake' shows up, crash to desktop.
I've attached the errorlog. I'm guessing this wil also be the videodrivers? I have a GeForce 7600 GS videocard. Havent tried to downgrade the drivers, and I would prefer not to... But if it could solve the problem and have no real impact on anything else I would think about it.

Muzer
26 Jan 2008, 12:44
Have you tried running as an admin? Tried leaving an explorer window open on C:\Team17\Worms Armageddon or wherever?

raffie
26 Jan 2008, 13:00
All of that, plus played around with compatibity modes/settings. Not even the slightest change. :(

CyberShadow
27 Jan 2008, 10:10
Did you try to reinstall the game?
If you have, where did you buy your CD, and what's the publisher?

raffie
27 Jan 2008, 10:37
Haven't tried reinstalling, currently doing so. I haven't had the fysical CD in my hands for years :(

raffie
1 Feb 2008, 13:28
I've been able to buy another WA CD, SoldOut version, just received it today, installed it, patched, and whadya know. Works perfectly, without any messing with video drivers, brand new PC, latest video drivers, Vista, AND WA :D :D :D I'm stoked!

wazarmoto
8 Feb 2008, 07:34
I've been able to buy another WA CD, SoldOut version, just received it today, installed it, patched, and whadya know. Works perfectly, without any messing with video drivers, brand new PC, latest video drivers, Vista, AND WA :D :D :D I'm stoked!

Dude where did you get the patch?

bonz
8 Feb 2008, 11:11
Dude where did you get the patch?
Guess what! You get it from the official patch getting page!
http://wa.team17.com/main.html?page=supp&area=upda&file=15

wazarmoto
8 Feb 2008, 12:05
Guess what! You get it from the official patch getting page!
http://wa.team17.com/main.html?page=supp&area=upda&file=15

did you download this one -----> v3.6.28.0 Beta Update

bonz
8 Feb 2008, 14:16
did you download this one -----> v3.6.28.0 Beta Update
Yes, this is the latest one.
You don't need anything else, as the installer will download all needed stuff during installation.
(Provided you have internet access.)

Lyts1985
16 Feb 2008, 20:11
okay, I know this has probably been brought up before, but for some reason, when I try to download the XP graphics drivers, it only lets me unzip the file I downloaded from the Dell support website. when it tries to execute the setup program itself, I get a message that reads "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software. setup will now exit." I'm curious as to why I'm getting this error message. if someone could please point me in the right direction, that'd be great. I'm a big fan of W:A and would really like to be able to run it on this laptop. thanks

Computer Specs
Dell Latitude D630 Notebook
Intel Centrino Duo Processor
Windows Vista Business Edition
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

You're getting this error message because your system doesnt meet the minimum requirements... These requirements being that you're running XP, which you're not.
Best thing to do is to install the driver via the device manager rather than the executable.
--Sorry if that sounded catty. Didnt mean it to :)

PuckMercur
22 Feb 2008, 14:53
Just an idea for those for whom this is an option, and it may not even work now that I think about it. I couldn't find this particular idea in my searches.

But at any rate - if you have a laptop and don't want to mess with installing any virtual emulator and you have an XP machine in the home somewhere - it may work to remote into that machine and run it that way with the disk in the remote machine obviously.

Personally, I've just encountered the issues w/ Worms and Vista as I've picked the game back up after about 5 years of letting it sit. It works fine on my desktop running Vista x86 but not properly on my laptop for I'm sure the same reason it has issues on most anyone else's (Dell 1705 w/ Radeon x1400 and 945 chipset).

As I said, this won't be a solution for everyone and it might not even work - but I was just sitting here and had the thought so I thought I'd throw it to the wolves. :D

CyberShadow
22 Feb 2008, 15:00
I've never seen any kind of remoting solution that allows transfer of DirectX content. DirectX is designed to interface with the hardware, any forwarding is somewhere between very difficult (hooking all DirectX calls) and impossible.

PuckMercur
22 Feb 2008, 15:13
As I said, it was just a random idea that popped into my head. If it doesn't work, c'est la vive I suppose no worse off. As I said in the first sentence, I doubted it would work as I was typing it out.

For my own academic curiosity, I'll try rdp'ing into my desktop which runs it fine from my laptop and just see what errors arise. I'll post back for any others interested.

Thanks for the reply, CS, and thanks for all your work on these patches along with Deadcode of course.

franpa
22 Feb 2008, 15:20
Des showed me a program (and even let me have breif access to his pc) that does let you play Worms 2 over the internet. the only issue was it was like playing with the palette stolen and it lagged like hell since my internet sucks.

Spilki
22 Feb 2008, 15:56
I posted up a suggestion in another thread earlier... but it might get more attention here :)

Try using Microsoft Virtual PC (even tho it says that Vista Premium is not supported.... it still works) and install win98 on a virtual machine :)

I've got a 945GM Intel Chipset Acer Laptop (1.6Ghz Centrino Duo) and worms works great! There's a little bit of sound lag but that to me is sacrifice enough so that the game works! :D

PuckMercur
22 Feb 2008, 16:01
That much at least was posted here (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34725) and does work nicely except for some mouse issues on laptops which are sometimes workable, but a pain in the ar$e regardless.