PDA

View Full Version : WormNet crashing problem

Xap
20 Nov 2007, 02:01
Hello all! I'm having a major problem with WormNet. Basically, as soon as I get to the lobby screen (where you can join games and chat), Worms Armageddon crashes. There is no error message, so the FAQs that I found around here and on the worms website didn't help. I've tried all sorts of things like making certain ports open, setting IP stuff in options, and installing patches (which did help WA run on my XP machine, but did not solve the WormNet problem).

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, do you know how to fix it? I'd be very appreciative if someone could help. :)

CyberShadow
20 Nov 2007, 02:13
Installed the 3.6.28.0 Beta?

Xap
20 Nov 2007, 02:37
I have the other update, but when I try to install the 3.6.28.0 Beta, it gives me the error below. I'm not sure what TryMedia means.

CyberShadow
20 Nov 2007, 02:52
Short explanation: you've been ripped off. Get a refund and buy a CD copy.

Xap
20 Nov 2007, 02:57
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast... WormNet is the only thing in my game that doesn't work. It seems much more likely that a CD would not work than one that is downloaded, especially from a site that is linked to from the Team17 site...

CyberShadow
20 Nov 2007, 03:33
TryMedia versions are out-of-date and unsupported by Team17. You'd have to get any support from TryMedia, and I doubt they'll be providing much. WormNET play in TryMedia versions is mostly either defunct or seriously hampered by the fact that most W:A players won't want to play with people with a seriously reduced featureset - network games with players not having the latest Beta won't be able to benefit from features such as nearly-free-sized colour maps, adjustable amounts of hazardous objects, increased number of worms in one game, etc. Thus, even if you will get online play working, expect to be booted from most games - many players prefer not to sacrifice their game experience for the sake of players not able to update to the latest Beta. Furthermore, the downloadable TryMedia version in most cases costs more than the CD version from Team17 plus shipping. If you choose to do so, please refer to this sticky thread (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495) for information on how to get a refund for your copy of the game. You have a reason to do so anyway (the functionality offered by TryMedia is not fully realised as you are unable to use the online play feature).

That said, once the Beta updates reach a certain level of stability, we'll try to send an update to TryMedia to be released as an update for their version.

Xap
20 Nov 2007, 23:13
Alright, thanks, I'll seriously consider that. Is there a limited money-back guarantee, or can I do it anytime?

Muzer
21 Nov 2007, 07:17
I think technically it's time limited, but since you don't get the game as advertised, probably not.