PDA

View Full Version : WA closing as soon as I click anything on the menu (WINE)

tellisk
14 Nov 2007, 20:56
So I've had the game running for a while now (latest WINE, Ubuntu 6.10). But it's been a few weeks since I've played. I tried opening it today, and as soon as I got past the opening logo screens, I got an error message referring me to ERRORLOG.TXT (attached). Upon which the game immediately closed. I tried running with the /NOINTRO tag, which seemed to work (at least got me to the menu), but when I clicked anything there, I got the same message.

I know this community isn't huge, and the portion of it that runs the game on Linux is even smaller, but I don't know where else to go.

Thanks in advance.

I had to trim a large section of the error log, if it would be of any help, I can definitely post it, but as it was, the file was too large to upload here.

Edit: there was an update to Wine today... perhaps I may try rolling back to the previous version.

Muzer
14 Nov 2007, 21:07
Try rolling back, many seem to be getting problems.

I use 0.9.30 and it works fine.

MadEwokHerd
14 Nov 2007, 23:35
I have the same problem. I've been waiting for someone to confirm it.

CyberShadow
15 Nov 2007, 03:17
By the way, the part of the error log that you cut out was the most important one. If you can't read it, it doesn't mean no one else can.

tellisk
15 Nov 2007, 04:16
I should have known just by the sheer length of that section (I didn't trim it just because I didn't think it was valuable, only because I had to trim something in order to upload the error log). Anyway, I rolled back WINE to 9.30 earlier today, and just now tried running W:A, with the same result.

I was gonna try a fresh reinstall of W:A, but if MEH is having the same problem... well, I'm not sure. I'll probably try it anyway.

Here's the part of the error log I left out last time.

MadEwokHerd
15 Nov 2007, 04:17
0.9.48 is the last version that worked for me. I'd go with that one.

CyberShadow
15 Nov 2007, 12:13
Hmm... no stack frames.
Or more correctly, EBP points below the stack pointer.

tellisk
15 Nov 2007, 21:54
0.9.48 is the last version that worked for me. I'd go with that one.

Yeah it worked for me also, but in Synaptic, it only gave the option to rollback to 9.30, and seeing as how Muzer said that's what he uses, I thought it would be good enough. =(

Also it was easier to do it that way than remove WINE completely and download 9.48 manually from the site.

Also, Hmm... no stack frames.
Or more correctly, EBP points below the stack pointer.

What can this mean for me?

tellisk
15 Nov 2007, 21:59
Hmmm. Ok, it works for me now. I guess I just needed a restart after downgrading WINE. Has anyone already reported this to WINEHQ? If not, I'll make an account there.

MadEwokHerd
15 Nov 2007, 23:05
I don't think anyone has. I've been waiting until I have time to do regression testing..

CyberShadow
16 Nov 2007, 00:42
Hmm. EBP does not point below the stack pointer. It's just that the stack dump doesn't start at the stack pointer.

Is the stack dump you posted from the same crash as the errorlog from your first post?

tellisk
20 Nov 2007, 08:33
It's actually from a different crash. I'll try to post a complete ErrorLog (in 2 parts) tomorrow after classes.

CyberShadow
20 Nov 2007, 15:33
Figures :P

tellisk
20 Nov 2007, 22:52
Ok CS, here's the full errorlog.

tellisk
21 Nov 2007, 00:10
Ok, I just joined a Wormnet game and shortly after the host clicked Start Game (it didn't even start to load the map), the entire game closed. I'll try starting a game from a terminal window to provide some more error text.

tellisk
21 Nov 2007, 00:17
Here's the terminal output.

MadEwokHerd
6 Dec 2007, 21:18
The hack described in http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3023#c3 fixes both the new crash bug in 0.9.49 and 0.9.50 and the old bug where WA would stop responding to input when dialogs are closed. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this soon (after finals, which are in 2 weeks) and it'll all just work.

tellisk
7 Dec 2007, 01:13
Fixes the old bug too??? I'm on that like a dog on the mailman.

tellisk
7 Dec 2007, 04:21
Ok I tried it with 9.50, and here's what I got (WA wouldn't even open, some fatal error).

/shrug fwiw here's the new errorlog.

franpa
7 Dec 2007, 05:33
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28710&page=7

9.50 is buggy, see here for work around.

tellisk
7 Dec 2007, 07:19
Not quite positive what you're referring to. Downgrading to 9.48?

I figured it was worth trying 9.50 since MEH said that the hack should fix those two bugs.

I'll try that tomorrow, probably. I'm tired and I just wasted a lot of time trying to get Hitman to work. =P

MadEwokHerd
8 Dec 2007, 16:10
I'm wrong. Just use 0.9.48 for now.