PDA

View Full Version : my first map :P please rate it.

franpa
10 Nov 2007, 03:21
this is my first map (not a remix or remake) and it can be found here http://www.wmdb.org/5587 . please provide tips on how to make it better.

Akuryou13
10 Nov 2007, 03:29
that depends on what type of game you're playing on it. for a normal game that map would blow. for a roper or similar, it would be pretty good.

Evil Bunny
10 Nov 2007, 07:46
that depends on what type of game you're playing on it. for a normal game that map would blow. for a roper or similar, it would be pretty good.

It's a w2w map genious

MtlAngelus
10 Nov 2007, 09:31
It's a w2w map genious
So, franpa's map is a w2w map genius?
How can a map be a genius?

Run
10 Nov 2007, 10:48
behold, a graphical representation of this thread

Muzer
10 Nov 2007, 12:22
Lol banana

Plasma
10 Nov 2007, 12:57
It looks...
Hmm...
It looks a little too simple for me, really. Doesn't look like there's much of a challenge to it.

I could be wrong though.

Akuryou13
10 Nov 2007, 14:09
It's a w2w map geniousyeah, I stopped playing worms before those nonsense scheme started being played. ya know? back when worms required skill with more than just one weapon.....yeah, those kinds of games.

so yeah, no idea what a w2w game is, much less how to identify a map as being made for that scheme on sight.

MtlAngelus
10 Nov 2007, 19:01
On the other hand, it does say so right above the map.
20s w2w Shopper version 2 by AF1xFranpa
:p

Melon
10 Nov 2007, 19:09
I'm not a fan of the wXw scheme myself, but as far as w2w maps go, this one isn't that great. It looks nice, but I bet it doesn't play well.

The reason why is because it's all too straight. OK, it's probably designed for speed, but come on, most of the walls are perfectly flat, especially the ceiling. I'm aware that most wXw maps are straight. This is why they suck so badly.

Try making one that's actually interesting or challenging to go through. We've got these flexible map sizes to play with, so why not put curved paths and such like in them? You need better hides too. Those hides are just far too simple, there's nowhere to REALLY hide is there?

Also, it might be nice to put places in your map where you can sink people, but put them in places where it's very difficult to do so, as it adds a nice element to it all. If you can shoot a worm into a small tunnel and drown them, then it adds a small amount of skill to a scheme that really needs it.

franpa
11 Nov 2007, 00:24
Try making one that's actually interesting or challenging to go through. We've got these flexible map sizes to play with, so why not put curved paths and such like in them? You need better hides too. Those hides are just far too simple, there's nowhere to REALLY hide is there?

Also, it might be nice to put places in your map where you can sink people, but put them in places where it's very difficult to do so, as it adds a nice element to it all. If you can shoot a worm into a small tunnel and drown them, then it adds a small amount of skill to a scheme that really needs it.

it is not a standard size map (but i know what you mean Melon) and I'm surprised it ended up being divisible by 8 lol (wasn't paying attention to that). i hate curves but I'll look into it and i know my hides suck :) there just there to reduce the monotonous appearance (correct usage of terms?).

i completely forgot about plop holes so yea, expect some in my next map if i ever dare make one and I'll look into adding small chutes/corridors etc. within the bulk of the terrain.

Akuryou13
11 Nov 2007, 01:17
On the other hand, it does say so right above the map.

:pTHAT'S what that jibberish meant :p I didn't realize that was a description of the map.

Plasma
11 Nov 2007, 01:26
THAT'S what that jibberish meant :p I didn't realize that was a description of the map.
It also said 'Type: w2w' directly below the map too. That's a lot clearer, isn't it?

Akuryou13
11 Nov 2007, 01:30
It also said 'Type: w2w' directly below the map too. That's a lot clearer, isn't it?yeah, no idea what that meant :p as I said, I have no clue what a w2w is.

KRD
11 Nov 2007, 08:41
I have no clue what a w2w is.

Wish I was so lucky... :eek:

Melon
11 Nov 2007, 13:37
i hate curves but I'll look into it
Well, curves aren't necessary, but the big problem is that your map is just one long straight path at the top. You could at least have the path change direction, as it's more interesting that way.

Plainplane
11 Nov 2007, 15:36
I have no clue what a w2w is.A WxW is a shoppa scheme in which the worm has to hit all of the predefined walls on the map before attacking (wba), where x is the number of walls that are on the map.

Plainplane :)

Akuryou13
11 Nov 2007, 15:44
A WxW is a shoppa scheme in which the worm has to hit all of the predefined walls on the map before attacking (wba), where x is the number of walls that are on the map.

Plainplane :)so instead of simply allowing a player to use strategy to win a game of the turn-based-strategy that is worms, someone brought in a scheme that requires the player to touch all corners of the map before they attack, limiting their strategies to revolving around the ninja rope rather than thought.....I can see why this caught on.

Muzer
11 Nov 2007, 17:31
Blame StarWorms.

Evil Bunny
11 Nov 2007, 22:13
yeah, no idea what that meant :p as I said, I have no clue what a w2w is.

Ahh man, you should get your behind on wnet. It's good fun i promise you.

Akuryou13
12 Nov 2007, 00:46
Ahh man, you should get your behind on wnet. It's good fun i promise you.sorry, roper games are retarded. doesn't matter what the rule-set is, as long as it revolves around the ninja rope, it's a game scheme for idiots.

franpa
12 Nov 2007, 02:20
so instead of simply allowing a player to use strategy to win a game of the turn-based-strategy that is worms, someone brought in a scheme that requires the player to touch all corners of the map before they attack, limiting their strategies to revolving around the ninja rope rather than thought.....I can see why this caught on.

uh, the ninja rope has a complete different set of strategy to it since almost everything else can be used in conjunction with it... why are schemes revolving around this complete new strategy set stupid? is it because you completely suck at the rope?

Akuryou13
12 Nov 2007, 03:45
uh, the ninja rope has a complete different set of strategy to it since almost everything else can be used in conjunction with it... why are schemes revolving around this complete new strategy set stupid? is it because you completely suck at the rope?no, I'm actually rather good at the rope. not as good as those who do nothing but roper games, but good enough to pull off the occassional fancy trick or two in a game.

the reason it's stupid is because any other scheme allows for any strategy you wish to use. if you want to use roping tricks to beat down your opponent all the time, feel free. it's just another strategy, nothing wrong with that, it's just one I choose not to employ. thing is, playing online in a worms game you almost never find any game that ISN'T one of these ridiculous roper games. no one plays with any weapon OTHER than the rope anymore. I could beat the living hell out of 90% of the ropers without even trying, but I rarely get the chance because no one will play anything BUT ropers.

it would be kinda like any other game where everyone plays one single map the entire time. it's just not fun. sure, occassionally doing so is fine, but doing the same thing over and over in a game that offers many options is pointless.

hell, in the early days of roper games, I used to enjoy propers and rope races (never got into shoppas, though), but at least then other types were still played. now everyone plays roper games, and the wormnet has just devolved into crap.

chus
13 Nov 2007, 23:12
I am in the stage of the computer and im not able of connecting he mines on the circuits. any tip?i think it's the only way to unblock new stages. thanks

Run
14 Nov 2007, 08:12
eyebrow status: raised

Akuryou13
14 Nov 2007, 09:44
I am in the stage of the computer and im not able of connecting he mines on the circuits. any tip?i think it's the only way to unblock new stages. thanks
The truth base has all

Melon
14 Nov 2007, 10:43

http://www.starworms.blamethepixel.com/walkthroughs.php?PHPSESSID=8c3927219a46a0992f2035b 25723fab1#aquick

Next time use the Worms3D forum.

Akuryou13
14 Nov 2007, 10:54
http://www.starworms.blamethepixel.com/walkthroughs.php?PHPSESSID=8c3927219a46a0992f2035b 25723fab1#aquick

Next time use the Worms3D forum.you understood that?! :eek:

Muzer
14 Nov 2007, 17:21
Yeah, I did as well.
He is stuck on the mission in W3D where you put mines in a computer monitor.

Plasma
14 Nov 2007, 17:46
you understood that?! :eek:
Of course! The only topics made in the W3D forum anymore are either 'help me on the computer circuits mission' or 'how do I release the girdir'.
In fact, you could easily get away by just making one post that answerrs both problems and copy-paste it into any thread made about W3D, and get away with it!