PDA

View Full Version : game background problem

zang-zag
6 Nov 2007, 16:44
when i was playing a flying shopper offline, after my turn all the background star and everything turned black and i dont know what has happened please help

Melon
6 Nov 2007, 18:23
Press insert to toggle the background detail.

You did this and turned it all off.

AYANE
9 Nov 2007, 19:10
I'm just popping in here because it's not worth creating another thread for this: what do they mean by "you can either create your own background, or leave it up to the random background generator option" How do I set it to the "random background" generator option, and what exactly does this mean?

bonz
12 Nov 2007, 10:38
I'm just popping in here because it's not worth creating another thread for this: what do they mean by "you can either create your own background, or leave it up to the random background generator option" How do I set it to the "random background" generator option, and what exactly does this mean?
What are you talking about?

Background (as the word implies) is all the stuff behind the playing area.
It's those mountains, trees, buildings, etc. Also, the falling stars, leaves and other debris.
The soil texture that gets visible during explosions and can be blasted away completely is also in the background.

What you obviously mean is the map itself.
Where all the worms are standing and where the weapons bounce off and impact.
The stuff that your sheep are walking on and your moles are digging through.

You can either generate one of those maps randomly by left-clicking on the map preview (right-clicking gets you to map editor with more options), or create your own custom maps.

franpa
12 Nov 2007, 13:23
the random background generator generates random backgrounds every time you use it, it is not a automatic service.

Plasma
12 Nov 2007, 17:36
No such thing. As Bonz said, you must be getting confused with the random map generator. You can't create your own backround (at least, not in-game)

the random background generator generates random backgrounds every time you use it, it is not a automatic service.
Great, now you're confusing him.

AYANE
12 Nov 2007, 20:34
How can such a simple game have such confusing terms?!

As I understand it, the "background" is the scenery BEHIND where you're actually playing, i.e. where the flying debris is, along with some other badly-painted structures. The map is the actual thing you're playing on, including different kinds of trees and structures that you can move your worm on, and the stuff that you can actually demolish. THIS IS THE PLACE THAT RANDOMLY GETS GENERATED, CORRECT? For example, I can have a different building, tree, and different area to play on altogether every time I play????!!!! The background, which is the area with the flying debris DOES NOT RANDOMLY GET GENERATED, but instead selects it from existing backgrounds randomly. The map, on the other hand, gets randomly generated every time, so NOBODY knows what you're going to play on.

HAVE I GOTTEN IT????!!!!

yakuza
12 Nov 2007, 20:37

As I understand it, the "background" is the scenery BEHIND where you're actually playing, i.e. where the flying debris is, along with some other badly-painted structures. The map is the actual thing you're playing on, including different kinds of trees and structures that you can move your worm on, and the stuff that you can actually demolish.

HAVE I GOTTEN IT????!!!!

The game is complex, it's just that you're simple.

Melon
12 Nov 2007, 20:39

As I understand it, the "background" is the scenery BEHIND where you're actually playing, i.e. where the flying debris is, along with some other badly-painted structures. The map is the actual thing you're playing on, including different kinds of trees and structures that you can move your worm on, and the stuff that you can actually demolish. THIS IS THE PLACE THAT RANDOMLY GETS GENERATED, CORRECT? For example, I can have a different building, tree, and different area to play on altogether every time I play????!!!! The background, which is the area with the flying debris DOES NOT RANDOMLY GET GENERATED, but instead selects it from existing backgrounds randomly. The map, on the other hand, gets randomly generated every time, so NOBODY knows what you're going to play on.

HAVE I GOTTEN IT????!!!!

You've gotten it. The manual calls the map the background, and it's wrong and confusing.

MrBunsy
12 Nov 2007, 20:42

HAVE I GOTTEN IT????!!!!Apart from the fact that nobody knows which map you're going to play on, yes, that's right. However, you can choose the map you're going to play on first, and even if it's randomly generated, everyone knows roughly what it will look like since a preview is show in the lobby.

edit: woot, 2 for the price of one, Melon posted whilst I was typing.

The game is complex, it's just that you're simple.
That's not helpful.

yakuza
12 Nov 2007, 20:45
Why not? It might lead him to start investigating on the fact that the game isn't simple and that he is wrong.

ps: your post wasn't helpful.

Melon
12 Nov 2007, 20:52
No yakuza, I can see why AYANE is getting confused and calling them simple because of it wasn't a useful reply and was actually very rude.

And the game may be very complex, but only when you get down to the root of it. It's simple to play but hard to master. It's simple enough that anybody can grasp it, I wouldn't exactly call using any of the weapons in the game difficult at all, but using them to their fullest extent is.

yakuza
12 Nov 2007, 21:03
No yakuza, I can see why AYANE is getting confused and calling them simple because of it wasn't a useful reply and was actually very rude.

And the game may be very complex, but only when you get down to the root of it. It's simple to play but hard to master. It's simple enough that anybody can grasp it, I wouldn't exactly call using any of the weapons in the game difficult at all, but using them to their fullest extent is.

I think you two are making a big deal out of a very minor thing. WA is anything but simple, sorry. It doesn't matter if any retard can play it, it took me 10 minutes to learn how to play Chess, is Chess a simple game? No.
He called worms simple so I felt I had to let him know that he is wrong, and that he might be the simple one seeing as he had a hard time figuring out the differences between the map and the background.

Melon
12 Nov 2007, 21:08
Actually, the rules of chess are very simple. Once you've learnt how each piece can move (of which there's only 6 types and they all move in a very simple and specific way) and that you need to capture the king, you can play it. It's easy to learn the rules in 10 minutes.

Learning to play chess well though, takes years and years.

I'll give you some advice, if you're going to make fun of someone for making a simple mistake, you should do it subtly, rather than being so blatantly rude about it. You won't get much respect from people otherwise.

yakuza
12 Nov 2007, 21:12
Actually, the rules of chess are very simple. Once you've learnt how each piece can move (of which there's only 6 types and they all move in a very simple and specific way) and that you need to capture the king, you can play it. It's easy to learn the rules in 10 minutes.

It doesn't matter though. The guy was implying that because worms was a simple game he shouldn't have to cope with complex terms such as "background". But he got it all wrong because Worms is completely complex, and the term background is completely simple. So seeing as this was an awful mistake of his, I implied he might be too simple to handle it. Now, I would love to continue debating the morale and ethics of my statements but I really don't care that much, I was challenged for reasons to explain why I said what I did and I reckon there's enough reasons on the table already.

AYANE
12 Nov 2007, 21:14
I don't give a shi* about anything. What I meant is how can a simple-looking game have 2 key words that can become so confused? I find it funny how I'm still having a little confusion over this. wtf

yakuza
12 Nov 2007, 21:22
I don't give a shi* about anything. What I meant is how can a simple-looking game have 2 key words that can become so confused? I find it funny how I'm still having a little confusion over this. wtf

Do you realize you've asked one of the most retarded questions you could possibly come up with? You're the first person I come along that has been able to confuse the terms map and background, so really, try harder.

AYANE
12 Nov 2007, 21:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKbw6gDkSWY

NOW, THE ANIME GIRLS IN THIS MOVIE ARE THE MAP[B], AND THE BLACK BACKGROUND IS THE [B]BACKGROUND, CORRECT?

yakuza
12 Nov 2007, 21:28
The map is where the worm's stand on. The surface. The land. The island or the cavern. The destructible or not matter from which weapons can bounce off or blow into. Clear now? Let's move on.

AYANE
12 Nov 2007, 21:36
The map is where the worm's stand on. The surface. The land. The island or the cavern. The destructible or not matter from which weapons can bounce off or blow into. Clear now? Let's move on.

Yes, that was actually one of the clearest answers in this thread. Now I know now: MAP is where you stand on. BACKGROUND is only what you see behind the map you're standing on that is not walkable by the worms.

Plasma
12 Nov 2007, 22:17
Do you realize you've asked one of the most retarded questions you could possibly come up with? You're the first person I come along that has been able to confuse the terms map and background, so really, try harder.
According to Melon, it was the manual that mixed up the term 'map' with 'backround', so it's understandable why he'd think that.
Regardless, you should never flame a person for asking a genuine question like that.

AYANE
13 Nov 2007, 01:30
According to Melon, it was the manual that mixed up the term 'map' with 'backround', so it's understandable why he'd think that.
Regardless, you should never flame a person for asking a genuine question like that.

I actually don't even have the game yet. I was just confused.

zang-zag
13 Nov 2007, 01:51
i dont get why this thread hasn't been closed my question has been answered.

how is it still going?

AYANE
13 Nov 2007, 01:53
i dont get why this thread hasn't been closed my question has been answered.

how is it still going?

It's better asking my question here than creating another topic, right?

yakuza
13 Nov 2007, 14:15

Oh look, yet another person comes in the name of justice. First of all, it's not common to mistake the two terms, period. It's also not common to think of background and map as complex terms, nor is common to think of Worms as a simple game. So if you think that the question is geniune and that it's understandable to mistake those two terms (providing he did his own research before asking a question, which everyone should do) then you're an idiot, specially considering it's been made clear in this thread yet you still felt like posting.

AYANE
13 Nov 2007, 15:45
Oh look, yet another person comes in the name of justice. First of all, it's not common to mistake the two terms, period. It's also not common to think of background and map as complex terms, nor is common to think of Worms as a simple game. So if you think that the question is geniune and that it's understandable to mistake those two terms (providing he did his own research before asking a question, which everyone should do) then you're an idiot, specially considering it's been made clear in this thread yet you still felt like posting.

I'm getting some idiot vibes here, like in every forum.

Regulator
13 Nov 2007, 16:42
the random background generator generates random backgrounds
Great, now you're confusing him.
THIS IS THE PLACE THAT RANDOMLY GETS GENERATED, CORRECT?..
HAVE I GOTTEN IT????!!!!
That's not helpful.
I don't give a shi* about anything.
Let's move on.
I was just confused.
i dont get why this thread hasn't been closed
I'm getting some idiot vibes here, like in every forum.

AndrewTaylor
13 Nov 2007, 18:23
i dont get why this thread hasn't been closed

Because nobody reported it. Including you.

thomasp
13 Nov 2007, 18:23
Right kids, get your toys back that you've thrown out of your prams.

*Thread closed*

Edit:

*Thread re-closed, as I was a few seconds slower than Andrew and actually ended up un-locking the thread*