PDA

View Full Version : Worms Armageddon crashes on Vista

Bartolkki
26 Oct 2007, 03:03
Anytime I try to open Worms Armageddon, the program crashes right at the start. Are there any patch or is there something I could do to play ?

Plainplane
26 Oct 2007, 03:37
What are your computer specifications?

Intel graphics cards tend to cause this with Vista.

Plainplane :)

CyberShadow
26 Oct 2007, 10:14
Yes, there is - install the 3.6.28.0 Beta update (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=587890).

Bartolkki
26 Oct 2007, 17:55
Well my processor is an Intel, so I wouldn't be surprised if my graphic card was an Intel too :-/

I tried running the patch and now I get a different error than before. It says :

Fatal Error : Worms Armaggedon has encountered an error. Detailed information about the error can be found in the ERRORLOG.txt file.

yakuza
26 Oct 2007, 18:32
Most processors are Intel yet most graphic cards aren't Intel, you still have hope (of course you could just check what graphic card you have)

They're going to ask you to upload the ERRORLOG.txt file in order to further aid you.

CyberShadow
26 Oct 2007, 22:35
Yes, do that please. You can compress it so it fits under the attachment size limit.

Bartolkki
27 Oct 2007, 19:31
I just checked and my card is an intel too, does that mean I'll never be able to play worms again ? Anyway, here's the error log, I rared it to fit the filesize limit.

Thansk for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

CyberShadow
27 Oct 2007, 22:14
You'll probably be able to play Worms someday. One day W:A will get a significant update and use more modern methods of displaying graphics (namely, switch to 24-bit colour). Intel might issue a driver update, or we might find a workaround (which isn't easy since we don't have the hardware in the first place).

SoY
18 May 2008, 19:49
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if there was any progress on this front. Or any news of any possible solution in the near future. Or anything?

Muzer
19 May 2008, 17:47
The only course of action is being one of the many people to whine to Intel. The only other way is to set up a Virtual Machine (see http://worms2d.info/Installing_WA_on_VirtualBox ), which requires a CD for an older version of Windows, or very risky way is to install the XP graphics drivers, which has a success rate shaky at best (if it fails it will BSOD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSOD) you) and it also disables disables Aero.

CyberShadow
20 May 2008, 03:07
Muzer: please link to http://worms2d.info/Emulating_Worms_Armageddon instead in the future.

SoY
21 May 2008, 17:48
Any information on what it is about Intel graphics cards that causes the game to crash, only on Vista?

franpa
22 May 2008, 05:56
The lack of proper direct draw support is why it crashes.

Melon
22 May 2008, 21:51
Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I have an Intel chipset and Vista, and trying to emulate Windows XP through Virtual Box still results in exactly the same problem. As in, it doesn't work. At all.

It's a pity. I was hoping emulation would solve my problems.

CyberShadow
23 May 2008, 06:05
1) Make sure you installed the latest Beta and Guest Additions.
2) Try other VM software.

Chrispy404
23 May 2008, 15:47
I followed the link above posted by Cybershadow, turns out i have the trymedia version of the game and its incompatible with the patch.

What is the trymedia version, and how do i acquire a version compatible with teh patch?

Thank you

Chris

Muzer
23 May 2008, 18:46
The trymedia version is one that you legally download for a price from Trygames aka Trymedia. To get a non-trymedia version, buy a CD from https://secure.team17.com (you may find it cheaper on Amazon Marketplace or Ebay)

franpa
24 May 2008, 01:32
However you can get a hacked copy of the game that still wont work properly when buying from ebay.

Also see this link for a refund from trymedia. http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495

ecasmb
25 May 2008, 11:58
AAHH...
I Downloaded via usenet ( not illegal )
It crashes when i start multiplayer or other:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

thomasp
25 May 2008, 16:02
AAHH...
I Downloaded via usenet ( not illegal )
It crashes when i start multiplayer or other:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
If you downloaded a full version of the game but did not pay money for it, then it's illegal. So, did you pay money for the game?

bonz
25 May 2008, 19:54
If you downloaded a full version of the game but did not pay money for it, then it's illegal. So, did you pay money for the game?
He probably paid for the pirate usenet service. :rolleyes:

AFAIR, the only downloadable, legal versions are Trygames and Gametap though.

Muzer
26 May 2008, 09:45
And gametap took it off their site.

bonz
26 May 2008, 12:31
And gametap took it off their site.
Well, I suppose it'll still work for people who bought it prior to that.

Nitroblood
15 Jun 2008, 12:23
Hello i was last on WA 5 or 6 years ago and i am having problems running the game in 64bit vista, i d/l the beta drivers and can get the game to play, but the graphics is a mess, any ideas chaps ?

Muzer
15 Jun 2008, 18:54
What do you mean by "a mess"?

Nitroblood
17 Jun 2008, 15:19
i took a screenshot but it didn't show properly on word or paint when i pasted there so the best description i can think of would be

- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - -- - - - - -- -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - --
- - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - -- - - -- -- -- - -

lines like that but closer and in colour (like the trails from the ship in Defender)

squeegee
17 Jun 2008, 23:10
Ok, so as far as I understand it, I cannot play either WA or WWP due to my Intel GMA X3100.

Does anyone know which e-mail/phone number I should use to complain to Intel?

Sargas
21 Aug 2008, 00:11
i apologize if this issue is explained elsewhere, but i have Worms Armageddon working in vista with service pack 1 and the latest updates from windows update. however, the colour often goes haywire. It looks almost like a photograph negative but with all sorts of crazy colours, a lot of yellow and red. I looked at the update readme file and it says that background applications can steal the palette from armageddon and corrupt the colours, and that this problem gets logged and they're looking for a fix. I was wondering if anyone has found anything yet.

Muzer
22 Aug 2008, 18:44
In your wa folder, look for a palette.log file. If it is there, tell us which process it says is stealing focus. If the process is crss.exe (i think, something like that), try opening an explorer window before starting wa.

zbiggie
26 Aug 2008, 02:18
In your wa folder, look for a palette.log file. If it is there, tell us which process it says is stealing focus. If the process is crss.exe (i think, something like that), try opening an explorer window before starting wa.

Hi, I did look for the palette.log but i could not find it. Either way I did run a explorer, which worked. All the colors seemed to be working right, and it did work (the menues that is). When I tried to create a team, the moment I clicked create team, the game crashes. I can't get the error message since it closes to fast, and when I try to maximises (It minimizes due to windows) it shuts of auto.

zbiggie
26 Aug 2008, 02:26
ok sorry for the double post, but fixed one problem

I created a team but I had to do it through the options menu. Now when I try to start a game it crashes with this message, Error - The mission found is not the save as the mission set -- 1. Any idea. Yes I have the latest patch installed.

deed02392
16 Sep 2008, 16:45
i apologize if this issue is explained elsewhere, but i have Worms Armageddon working in vista with service pack 1 and the latest updates from windows update. however, the colour often goes haywire. It looks almost like a photograph negative but with all sorts of crazy colours, a lot of yellow and red. I looked at the update readme file and it says that background applications can steal the palette from armageddon and corrupt the colours, and that this problem gets logged and they're looking for a fix. I was wondering if anyone has found anything yet.

Spot on.

Here is the content of a typical palette.log file with the strange colour problem in Vista SP1:

[2008-09-16 15.24.03] Palette set by 0x1700F0 "" [[System Process]]
[2008-09-16 15.24.03] Palette set by 0x10010 "" [csrss.exe]
[2008-09-16 15.24.09] Palette set by 0xD00DA "" [[System Process]]
[2008-09-16 15.24.09] Palette set by 0x10010 "" [csrss.exe]
[2008-09-16 15.24.14] Palette set by 0x2D0928 "" [[System Process]]
[2008-09-16 15.24.14] Palette set by 0x10010 "" [csrss.exe]
[2008-09-16 15.24.23] Palette set by 0x3001E0 "GDI+ Window" [explorer.exe]
[2008-09-16 15.24.23] Palette set by 0x10010 "" [csrss.exe]
[2008-09-16 15.25.02] Palette set by 0x1900DA "" [[System Process]]

You cannot remove or stop the 'csrss.exe' process since this will cause system instability.

Simply by opening an explorer window, (Computer, or Documents as it is called in Vista) will allow Worms Armageddon to draw the correct colors and it will look perfectly normal. Good luck!

Muzer
16 Sep 2008, 17:16
You cannot remove or stop the 'csrss.exe' process since this will cause system instability.

Simply by opening an explorer window, (Computer, or Documents as it is called in Vista) will allow Worms Armageddon to draw the correct colors and it will look perfectly normal. Good luck!
That is exactly what I said.

Albertos
2 Feb 2009, 02:47
I can't even install ma WA on Vista after I put cd in it seas "The version of this program is not compatible with the version of Windows you-re running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x84(32-bit) or x64(640bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher." What should I do ?

juse
15 Apr 2009, 03:08
Sorry for the question but, I download and pay for the Worms Armageddon at here http://www.download-free-games.com/war_game_download/worms_armageddon.htm, and install it on a Desktop Intel Quad Core with Vista 64 Bits and Nvidia GeForce 8600, but don't works, and intall the patch WA-P3050 Beta 2 and still without work... the patch 3.6.29.0 can't be installed because send me an error mesage of incompatibility, what can I do? :(

MihaiS_v2
15 Apr 2009, 12:07
Use a virtual machine to play W:A in a 32bit environment.

CyberShadow
15 Apr 2009, 14:00
We do not support downloadable versions of the game here. Your online experience will be, in the best case, very limited with your version, even if you get it to work.
If you paid for a downloadable version and are unsatisfied with it, you may want to try to get a refund (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495) and order the CD version (https://secure.team17.com/browse.html?area=detail&skuid=79) of the game (it will likely be much cheaper than the downloadable version).

franpa
15 Apr 2009, 14:19
Use a virtual machine to play W:A in a 32bit environment.

that is bad advice...

juse
15 Apr 2009, 22:23
Sorry, I'm again, can you tell me when can I obtain the WA in a official site, because at the trygames site don't have it... I don't care have to paid again for it, I like it so much and want it functional, thanks!

CyberShadow
16 Apr 2009, 08:10
The Team17 Secure Store (https://secure.team17.com/browse.html?area=detail&skuid=79), of course.

Muzer
16 Apr 2009, 10:46
Ebay and Amazon also work.

Also, make sure you don't try to get the downloadable versions - that will lead you into the same place you were previously.

vvvUKaaa
21 Oct 2009, 15:53
Hi. I just installed windows 7 on my computer and i need help for running game on this system. The game crushes when i start it and it says:

,,Fatal Error - Worms Armageddon has encountered an error. Detailed information about the error can be found in the ERRORLOG.TXT file.

I was read all tips in this forum and i was done all of it!!!
But problem still exist!!!
HELP ME or i will uninstall Windows 7 and get back to XP !!!

My game is original!!! I was bought it from team17 and paid for it!!!

Benny Z
24 Oct 2009, 09:27
Hey, Im not one of the people who knows all about the game in here, but have just installed win7 on my machine, and had som problems too.

I did the following, and now its workung:

1. installed the game as usual
2. installed patch "WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer"
3. Copyed wormekit into my WA folder
4. Copyed thc content of "wkColorFix" into the WA folder aswell
5. Changed my desktop shortcut reference to wormkit.exe

And now it works perfect.

And at the same time I would like to say THANKS to all the replys in here. By reading the closely i got my WA working after a couple of days with a LOT OF PROBLEMS.

THANKS YOU ALL

Reg
Benny Z

Explorer
27 Oct 2009, 12:13
Hi. I just installed windows 7 on my computer and i need help for running game on this system. The game crushes when i start it and it says:

,,Fatal Error - Worms Armageddon has encountered an error. Detailed information about the error can be found in the ERRORLOG.TXT file.

I was read all tips in this forum and i was done all of it!!!
But problem still exist!!!
HELP ME or i will uninstall Windows 7 and get back to XP !!!

My game is original!!! I was bought it from team17 and paid for it!!!

I recommend you to start a new thread and post your ERRORLOG.txt there.

AtlasC1
24 Jan 2010, 04:06
I did exactly what Benny Z had said. It works PERFECTLY!

Thank you Benny.

AsRocketma
5 Feb 2010, 14:50
does it work on 64bit?

VistaNick
5 Feb 2010, 17:48
on vista i started up the game i hear sound but no video and as soon as i click mouse it stops responding?

Necro85254
7 Feb 2010, 17:02
Can somebody tell me how can i play WA With FIXED collors online. The online program automaticly opens the WA.exe .

franpa
8 Feb 2010, 02:41
See your other thread.

WormyVista
7 Apr 2010, 02:08
- anyone seen this message: " front end visualization error, error: from graphics subsystem unable to set desired video mode"
- -where can I download wormekit and do you think it will fix my prob?
- already downloaded latest patch WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer"
- thanks for any and all help!!!!

Explorer
8 Apr 2010, 13:18
- anyone seen this message: " front end visualization error, error: from graphics subsystem unable to set desired video mode"
- -where can I download wormekit and do you think it will fix my prob?
- already downloaded latest patch WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer"
- thanks for any and all help!!!!

http://worms2d.info/Troubleshooting_FAQ#.22Graphics_subsystem_error_-_Unable_to_set_desired_video_mode.22